GDT: Canucks @ Blues 5pm PST

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Blues 5pm PST

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:Where was Potatoe's buddy Keith Ballard tonight? Is AV making 'bad' line-up decisions again?
Dude, the Canucks were lucky to pull out a win. Sulzer made quite a few mistakes which the puck almost ended up in the net. If the Blues had a little bit more finish, the game could be easily over in the second period. You might not like Ballard but he is definitely an upgrade over Sulzer.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Five more games this month, they can now take a deep breath and decompress a little.

There's no question the special teams are fantastic, and should only improve with Booth coming back, and Manny regaining some confidence and jump.

But if there is one area of concern I've seen trending downwards for a bulk of the season, its the team defense. The low % back hand passes and increasingly high number of turnovers needs to be addressed when they return home and review some game tape.

It was a gutsy road trip and they performed admirable, even if they were no where near where they can be. Its now time to regroup and go over some fundamentals, because there is no way this team should be giving up as many scoring chances and goals 5 on 5 as they have been.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Team clearly needs some extended time at home and some days of good practice. I'll be more concerned if they continue to play like this a couple weeks from now.

If Bieksa, Hamhuis and Edler clean up their games again it looks a whole lot difference.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Southern_Canuck wrote:So that was the 26th road game for the Canucks (16-9-1) vs. 19 home games (12-5-2)... not too shabby.

They looked tired and sloppy for a lot of the game (2 clean shorthanded breakaways against during one powerplay? Sheesh) but somehow got the win.

Time to take advantage of some home games!

S_C

March 1 on looks like the wives designed the schedule.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

dhabums wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:So that was the 26th road game for the Canucks (16-9-1) vs. 19 home games (12-5-2)... not too shabby.

They looked tired and sloppy for a lot of the game (2 clean shorthanded breakaways against during one powerplay? Sheesh) but somehow got the win.

S_C

As usual, you have it backwards ;)
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

tantalum wrote:Team clearly needs some extended time at home and some days of good practice. I'll be more concerned if they continue to play like this a couple weeks from now.

If Bieksa, Hamhuis and Edler clean up their games again it looks a whole lot difference.
To be fair, Bieksa played a lot better closer to the end of the game. Bieksa is not a very smart hockey player. When he thinks too much or tries to be fancy with the puck, he always ends up giving up the puck. On the other hand, when he plays a simple game and be physical, he definitely worths his contract.

This was one of those games that I actually would like the Canucks taking the penalty. They played much better when they were shorthanded.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Boy, not a big fan of Baltard, but he should definitely play ahead of Shultzer. Wasn't too impressed with Shultzer tonite, we should only play that guy when we have to (ie - when all our other D-men are injured). Hopefully Baltard will be back in the lineup next game.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Corb wrote:
dhabums wrote:

S_C

As usual, you have it backwards ;)

You mean the pro athletes that have women in every city want to be at home with the kids and wife?
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

It looks like Salo is the leader of the Canuck defense corp and with Salo going out, nobody seems to know what to do.

Bieksa is trying to stand up but he just doesn't have the skill to do so. He's got really good speed but isn't all that smart. Salo has a much higher hockey IQ and I would rather have Salo on the ice in the last minute of regulation then Bieksa.

Edler is a bit of an enigma. I feel that he's on the cusp of greatness but it just isn't there yet. He's got all of the tools to do so but its still a learning process for him. Will Edler ever be as great as Lidstrom? Only if the Nucks win the Cup.

Hamhuis has been making some uncharacteristic mistakes as of late. This is especially evident during the forecheck. I've noticed that If you can catch Hammer down at the boards, he's prone to turning it over.

Old man Salo so far seems to be the glue holding our defense together which is a bit dangerous if you ask me.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

mathonwy wrote: Edler is a bit of an enigma. I feel that he's on the cusp of greatness but it just isn't there yet. He's got all of the tools to do so but its still a learning process for him. Will Edler ever be as great as Lidstrom? Only if the Nucks win the Cup.
A rather ridiculous standard to hold a player to. If Edler is HALF as good we should rejoice.

Is Henrik Gretzky yet?
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Listercat wrote:And sometmes your goaltender has to steal a game for you.
Absolutely. Credit where credit is due.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

mathonwy wrote:Edler is a bit of an enigma. I feel that he's on the cusp of greatness but it just isn't there yet. He's got all of the tools to do so but its still a learning process for him. Will Edler ever be as great as Lidstrom? Only if the Nucks win the Cup.
bums beat me to the Lidstrom comparison, but I'm smelling what you're stepping in. This is the third "Edler's about to break out into space" season in a row and it hasn't happened yet.

Last season was a major back injury, so he gets a pass there, for sure. This season? Unless the back is still an issue, I'm wondering if we're starting to see the best Edler has to offer moving forward...
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

dhabums wrote: You mean the pro athletes that have women in every city want to be at home with the kids and wife?
Reporter: So, is it true as they say that you NHLers have a woman in every city you visit?
Hockey player: No, that's just a myth. Take me for instance, I don't have one in St Louis.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

I think the officiating was in favor of the Blues. There were many non calls.

How about when Burrows was beaten down behind the Blue's net numerous times in front of the ref? Play goes the other way and a Blue falls on Henrik and the arms goes up calling Sedin for 2. There were others but that sequence really pissed me off. Even the icing calls were suspect. You can hack and whack, but wow you'd better not interfere even when you don't.

So I'm not sure where Hitchcock gets off complaining about that nasty hit on Burrows late in the game. A hockey play he called it. He was lucky the officiating wasn't fair. Why is the world after Burrows? I just don't get it. Good on him for being resilient.

The Canucks win anyways.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Looks like its another day as usual at the Canucks Corner Office. Now we are labelling Edler as Shite cause he ain't playing like Lidstrom. I don't like to agree with dhapoo that much but gotta agree with him on this one.

Again, people, ya need to understand. In Bieksa, Hamhius and Ballard we have 3 defenseman on the small side, 6 footers. The St. Louis Blues are a big team, can you believe that David Backes at 6'3" is the Blues smallest centerman? Not too mention that Baltard just ain't that good folks. But keep bringing up the AV conspiracy theory, it's at least entertaining read.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau