GDT: Canucks @ Beantown - 10am - Snet / NHLN-US

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Beantown - 10am - Snet / NHLN-US

Post by BladesofSteel »

Mondi wrote:Does anyone really think he's going to get games?

I'd say 1 or 2 max, probably zero.
He had control of the puck and deliberately left it to 'check' Salo with an extremely low-bridge hit. I think the play was actually more dangerous than that of the Porter clip on Booth.

Ten games is obviously extreme, but Shanahan needs to send a message that plays like this are unacceptable. And seeing as Marchand is a repeat offender, and the play resulted in a game misconduct (without hesitation) I'd say a suspension is inevitable.
CC Veteran

Post by Sticky »

Been checking out HFB... Lots of griping about officiating giving Van an unfair advantage. Also a lot of comments about Weise being a pussy because he didn't fight Thorton.
I thought it was part of the "tough guy code" that you didn't fight a guy that had already fought in the same period?
Anyway, just sour grapes I guess.

I actually was impressed with the physical play of both Sedins today... Thought they were disciplined yet way more physical than usual.

Good...no, great two points.

It's a process, right Alain? Forward we go.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Sticky wrote: Lots of griping about officiating giving Van an unfair advantage.
Typical Bruin fans bullshit. Last year when they beat us in 7 games (2 games of which they were shut out in), it was dubbed a "7 game sweep!"

Earlier today - after taking a bunch of dumb penalties and surrendering not 1...not 2....not 3....but FOUR (4) Power Play goals, it was the refs fault.

Inept penalty killing? Nah.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Calpuke is full of how the game was handed to us by the refs, we were lucky. Every Boston penalty was a result of our dive and every Canucks penalty was deserved. It is so old now. They are actually defending the Marchand hit. This whole reputation thing is so overblown and disproportionate from reality.

I think the Canucks proved today that if they are healthy they can beat the Bruins, that and if the refs call a good game. Our PP dried up in the finals, due to injuries, and if it was clicking at 25% we win that series and we stop the Bruins from all the garbage. They way to make them pay and to play disciplined hockey is to capitalize on the PP. We did that today. I hate the Bruins. They are good, talented but goons to boot.
The only HW the Canucks need
rufus
AHL Prospect

Post by rufus »

I thought the hit on Ebbets was dirty, as well. To the head, although both coming in low. Check it out.
Too bad we don't play these clowns again this year, in the regular season. Felt like a playoff game and really surprised me with the intensity. Not surprised by the dirty play by the Bruins. Worked for them last year. I thought we looked, for a lot of the game, scared but scoring on the pp neutralizes a lot of that.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

watch the highlites just before Marchands cheap hit on Salo. Salo hits Marchand cleanly in open ice Marchand comes back and slashes Salo the play continues and then Marchand clearly does not go for the puck and clips Salo .Thgt little puke deserves 10 games but will probably only get 2
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

CP is hilarious. It really is. Flames lost 9-0 to a Bruins team that pretty much slept through the final 55 minutes of the game. Canucks honestly didn't play that well for big stretches and in particular Edler and Bieksa had rough games yet pulled out a win. The contrast between their team and ours is staggering.

Some are defending the Marchand hit but not all which is somewhat surprising. I can just imagine if that was a hit on Iginla what they'd be saying.

Thing is except for Bruins, Oiler and Flame fans the majority of the comments in cyberspace are about the sudden realization that the Bruins are simply a dirty team and not the saviors of hockey the media was painting them as. Slowly but surely people are waking up to the fact that like all very very good teams the Bruins pull a lot of dirty shit from stick work, elbows, trips, hacks, whacks and dives. And that they are constantly dirty. I honestly think the officials are starting to get sick of it. 29Gms in the league are starting to get sick of it. It'll be interesting to see what happens from here on out, but the Bruins have to be careful because all of a sudden they have 3 competitors that can put together some impressive firepower on the PP (Pens, FLyers, and Rangers...admittedly the Rangers PP has not been good but I find it hard to believe it won't be up to 20ish percent by seasons end from the 15% it's at right now). They almost lost to TB because of the potent PP of TB and poor penalty killing. I know everyone wants to call Bruins repeat but I think they may have a tougher road to go this year than in the past.

The DUcks pushed the envelope on dirty play but the Bruins are soooo far beyond what the Ducks were like.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Heck of a game- one of legends.

Weise did a great job on Horton- too bad there was no knock out punch, guy has a glass chin.

Thomas needs to be called for his late game spear/ butt end on Malhotra.

Marchand is lower than a plant. I hope 10 games but expect 2.

Cody Hodson is picking good times to show and develop his skills.

Sedins played with character and grit that would make Salming proud.

How come Chara never gets taken to task for his post whistle chirping and cheapness?

I would still like a bit more toughness as I'm not sure that group could go a series like that. Not sure if it's possible though.

Team needs to take stock of why they won and embed that killer instinct for all games.

Bruins will get the NHL to clamp down on officiating again near post season so they can take less penalties.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Vpete wrote: How come Chara never gets taken to task for his post whistle chirping and cheapness?
Would you take him to task? If I'm an official not name Cvik I wouldn't say a damn thing to that neaderthal beyond "yes Mr. Chara, whatever you say Mr. Chara."
I would still like a bit more toughness as I'm not sure that group could go a series like that. Not sure if it's possible though.
If they can improve the 12/13 forwards with guys that can play the game and provide that toughness (like a Thornton like the Bruins have), you do it. I gets tougher in the top 9 when healthy. THe only guy I pinpoint as coming out would be Raymond. However, to replace Raymond you need to be cognizant of the fact that his speed, PK ability and general skill level does help the team. You can't trade all of that in just for some grit and toughness. But if you can find a guy who has that grit combined with good speed and some special teams ability then yes you more than consider moving Raymond.

Bruins will get the NHL to clamp down on officiating again near post season so they can take less penalties.
League only put the whistles away on the Bruins in game 7 of round 3. THe East has some strong teams this year that can knock the Bruins out before the NHL decides to go back 30 years with the officiating.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

tantalum wrote:
Vpete wrote: How come Chara never gets taken to task for his post whistle chirping and cheapness?
Would you take him to task? If I'm an official not name Cvik I wouldn't say a damn thing to that neaderthal beyond "yes Mr. Chara, whatever you say Mr. Chara."
If they can improve the 12/13 forwards with guys that can play the game and provide that toughness (like a Thornton like the Bruins have), you do it. I gets tougher in the top 9 when healthy. THe only guy I pinpoint as coming out would be Raymond. However, to replace Raymond you need to be cognizant of the fact that his speed, PK ability and general skill level does help the team. You can't trade all of that in just for some grit and toughness. But if you can find a guy who has that grit combined with good speed and some special teams ability then yes you more than consider moving Raymond.

League only put the whistles away on the Bruins in game 7 of round 3. THe East has some strong teams this year that can knock the Bruins out before the NHL decides to go back 30 years with the officiating.
Gillis has gone off the board for most deals he has made and I wonder if he is prepared to do a hockey deal to get that added toughness in bottom 6? I wonder how different this game looks with Booth playing?

In regards to Chara- if they won 't suspend him for near decapitation why stop him now?
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Or Gillis can find a top 6 winger to play with Kesler and Booth and knock Higgins down to play with Hodgson and Hansen. That of course necessitates Raymond being moved for that piece.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mondi wrote:I'm not saying it wasn't a dirty hit. Nor am I of the opinion he shouldn't get a game or two. But this is the NHL, it's the Bruins and it's the Canucks.

1 or 2 games, max. I hope you're right though.
K I can't bother to check out the previous 34 pages of this thread... but this makes the most sense to me.

It was a dirty, dirty, despicable hit. No excuse, and as I said about the Porter-Booth, the knees are far more dangerous than a head. He SHOULD get 4-5 games. As Hank pointed out after the game, it wasn't his first time pulling this stunt. He probably will get 1-2. The Bruins are the favorites, after all. At that point, as a fan, I was hoping SOMEONE would go to him and knock 8-10 teeth out of his head. But we responded on the PP, and that's what we couldn't do in the Finals.

Loved the game by the Canucks after they stopped trying to play punch-face with the Bruins. They did what they should and took advantage of the PP's to win the game. Too bad that won't happen in the playoffs, and all the after-the-whistle shit will be even-uppped and no PP's given.

Walk into Boston, stand up for yourselves, take the two points and move on. It was the most playoff intensive game I've seen this season, league-wide. Good on the Canucks for taking it (Hodgson... statement game), and hopefully this reminds them how hard they need to play come April-June.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Island Nucklehead wrote:...

Walk into Boston, stand up for yourselves, take the two points and move on. It was the most playoff intensive game I've seen this season, league-wide. Good on the Canucks for taking it (Hodgson... statement game), and hopefully this reminds them how hard they need to play come April-June.
Great entertainment and the NHL fucks up again with not nationally televising this game with either CBC or NBC. How lame.

Seems to me the Canucks have learned from their past mistakes in Boston, and the whole starting Cory thing from what I have heard was it was scheduled in. He played well in front of his home town.

If Marchand gets a suspension, it should be hefty. I can't believe the crap this kid gets away with. First the punches to the head of Daniel and now taking out Sami Salo at the knees. I hope someone does it to him, just so he knows what a piece of shit he really is.

Man, talk about being charged up for a 10AM start. Breakfast, coffee and a great tilt. It was the first thing in a long time that inspired me to write for CC again.

Looking forward to seeing the boys play live in St Louis.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Didn't get a chance to catch the game, but got a chance to watch the highlights. Wow, what a bomb by CoHo!!! He's showing that he has a pretty good slap shot and this is not the first time I have seen him do this. It's a good attribute to have for a winger. I don't think the Nucks had a winger that could slap the puck like that off the rush since Geoff Courtnall.

Little bit disappointed in Dale Weise though. He gave Horton a good scrap which was great to see, but I didn't like it when he acted like he wanted to take on Thornton and then weasle out like that. That's just yellow and makes what guys like Mark Recchi say about our team being a bunch of classless/gutless guys true. I know Weiser is probably pretty beat after fighting Horton, but if he doesn't want to fight, he should not be goading Thornton like that. It just makes him and our team look bad around the league.
Waffle
CC Veteran

Post by Waffle »

Don Cherry commented on the game on Coach’s Corner in the first intermission in the Toronto/Detroit game.

Firstly he said that the Flames getting trashed by Boston meant nothing as they had travelled a zillion miles and were tired at the end of a long road trip.

Then he bemoaned that Vancouver got 11 power plays (his stats, not mine) and had the audacity to actually score on them. He didn’t mention Boston getting 3 power plays in the final period to none for Vancouver. He said that Alex Burrows practices his agitation moves like tapping the skate of the Boston player that started the non fight in the first period. He thought it was perfectly justified for the Boston player to charge Burrows and throw a punch for something pretty timid compared to what Boston does to other players. He showed a clip of Weiss backing away from Thorton. He showed a clip of Jody Shelley calling Mike Rupp out for hitting some rookie....he didn’t include the part where Rupp tells him to F off as he is irrelevant as pointed out in these forums. He talked about Ken Holland and the comment that the “rats” are taking over the game because there are no thugs to control them. And he showed the Marchand hit and said it was terrible and the worse thing you can do in hockey. I don’t think he realized that he was calling Marchand a rat which was okay by me. There was some other stuff but I wasn't really paying that close attention.

leaves beat Detroit....start planning the Stanley Cup parade please!!