Dec 29 - Canucks @ Disneyland - 7PM - SNET PAC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Dec 29 - Canucks @ Disneyland - 7PM - SNET PAC

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I missed the game last night but it sounds like all went relatively well. Can someone who watched the game please explain just what the heck has happened to the Ducks? How come they aren't competitive in the standings? Is it Sellane being one year older? Do Perry, Ryan and Getzlaf have to put up 90 points each? Is it goaltending?

I really thought they would be a top 8 seed in the West this year but they have really fallen off. The coaching change did nothing.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

If the Canucks had played the whole game voluntarily with one player less they had won higher. :lol:

Imo the Ducks can't compensate the loss of Koivu and Blake, rolling different lines with no chemistry (Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan are splitted mostly and looking pretty disinterested).

In contrary all 4 lines of the Canucks had more or less some jump and wanted it more, overall a good team effort.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:I missed the game last night but it sounds like all went relatively well. Can someone who watched the game please explain just what the heck has happened to the Ducks? How come they aren't competitive in the standings? Is it Sellane being one year older? Do Perry, Ryan and Getzlaf have to put up 90 points each? Is it goaltending?

I really thought they would be a top 8 seed in the West this year but they have really fallen off. The coaching change did nothing.
Shit goaltending, shit defensively and shit depth up front. The Fecal Triumvirate!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:I missed the game last night but it sounds like all went relatively well. Can someone who watched the game please explain just what the heck has happened to the Ducks? How come they aren't competitive in the standings? Is it Sellane being one year older? Do Perry, Ryan and Getzlaf have to put up 90 points each? Is it goaltending?

Hiller was not the same goaltender that we saw a few seasons ago... Defensively, they were bad, really bad... None of their forwards wanted to play defense... Their powerplays were bad. Burrows got a clean breakaway but could not score. I have never seen so many odd man rushes for the Canucks when they were killing penalties. At times, I thought it was the Canucks who got the powerplays. :lol: Selanne was pretty much the only Duck that showed up... After watching the game last night, I can imagine that this would be the final season for Selanne, at least for the Ducks...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hiller has not been the same since his mysterious bout with dizziness, thats for sure. Their defence is slow. Up front hey have no depth to compensate for injuries. Their big tough mean running the goaltender act doesn't work anymore.

They are a team ripe to be blown up. If they have lost confidence in hiller then they could be in the hunt for a young stud. They have some intriguing pieces to trade to get one too.
The only HW the Canucks need
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Hockey Widow wrote:If they have lost confidence in hiller then they could be in the hunt for a young stud. They have some intriguing pieces to trade to get one too.

Dun, dun, dun.....

Kesler to Ryan, scores?
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

dhabums wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:If they have lost confidence in hiller then they could be in the hunt for a young stud. They have some intriguing pieces to trade to get one too.

Dun, dun, dun.....

Kesler to Ryan, scores?

Ryan, Sibsia, Ellis for Ballard, Hodgson, Schneider

Sedins / Burrows
Ryan / Kesler / Booth
Raymond / Lappy / Higgens
Weise / Manny / Hansen

Hamhuis / Bieksa
Edler / Salo
Sibisa / Rome
Alberts / Tanev
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

I can't wait to get $.02 of commentary on this breaking news.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Radio guys were just talking about Getzlaf potentially being available.

Ducks would be off their rocker to trade that guy, although I think they are crazy for almost trading Ryan as well.

So lets face it, they're crazy......
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

The Lupul/beauchemin trade looks pretty silly in hindsight.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Ryan, Sibsia, Ellis for Ballard, Hodgson, Schneider

Yuck, The Ducks win this by a country mile. Hodgson is just warming up and Schneider is a Franchise Elite Goaltender in the making. Don't think cement shoes Ryan fits the Canuck system here. Plus, you have to ask yourself, "Why is Anaheim wanting to get rid of him if he is soooooo good?

Whoever the owner of the Ducks are, first thing they need to do is fire the GM before he does something stupid by putting on a firesale. Fire the GM - Murray is it? For hiring that imbecile Bruce Boudreau cause it's obvious the players ain't playing for him like they were in Washington. You just can't go from a good team to a shitty team like this that quickly, something is afoul behind the scenes and it strikes me as being off the ice and upstairs. Get rid of GM and Coach before off-loading star players.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote: Yuck, The Ducks win this by a country mile. Hodgson is just warming up and Schneider is a Franchise Elite Goaltender in the making. Don't think cement shoes Ryan fits the Canuck system here. Plus, you have to ask yourself, "Why is Anaheim wanting to get rid of him if he is soooooo good?

Whoever the owner of the Ducks are, first thing they need to do is fire the GM before he does something stupid by putting on a firesale. Fire the GM - Murray is it? For hiring that imbecile Bruce Boudreau cause it's obvious the players ain't playing for him like they were in Washington. You just can't go from a good team to a shitty team like this that quickly, something is afoul behind the scenes and it strikes me as being off the ice and upstairs. Get rid of GM and Coach before off-loading star players.

I agree RD. The Ducks went from a good team to dismal when Hiller got injured and has not recovered. He made up for a lot of shit play. Right now they only have enough top 6 to make one line and a bottom 6 not worthy of wearing a Ducks uni. Their defence is slow. The team needs a major rebuild but you do it with a new GM and coaching staff. Calgary made the mistake of holding onto Sutter too long and it will cost them for a few years yet. If they had dumped Sutter two years earlier and started t re-tool they would not be in this mess. Anaheim will make the same mistake if they allow current management to do the re-tooling or rebuilding.

The Flyers did it when they let Clark go before he could ruin the team. Heck the Canucks did it in letting the last bastion of the Burke era go in Nonis and brought in MG. The Ducks need a complete new direction and the only way they get that is by changing the management of letting the new GM assess what he has and move on from there.
The only HW the Canucks need
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Losing 2 Norris calibre d-men in last couple seasons definitely hurt them. I think they are rushing Fowler into the bigs as well. He was solid in the first canucks/ducks game but if last night was any indication he is regressing. The cup winning Ducks team could survive undisciplined play and bad penalties with great depth. These days they are still undisciplined but with terrible depth.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:
Why is Anaheim wanting to get rid of him if he is soooooo good?
Why? One good player does not fit the current system or not performing under certain coaching staffs or contract dispute could easily be traded and blossom into a very good player for another team.

Some examples:

Bertuzzi to the Canucks from the Islanders
Naslund to the Canucks from the Penguins
:roll:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Why is Anaheim wanting to get rid of him if he is soooooo good?
Why? One good player does not fit the current system or not performing under certain coaching staffs or contract dispute could easily be traded and blossom into a very good player for another team.

Some examples:

Bertuzzi to the Canucks from the Islanders
Naslund to the Canucks from the Penguins
:roll:
Why does the no. 1 team (Vancouver Canucks) in the NHL need to make such a trade? There is a saying, let me see if I can remember how it goes, it may go like this - IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau