GDT: Dec 23: Canucks host Calgary - 7pm - SNET-P(HD)

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: GDT: Dec 23: Canucks host Calgary - 7pm - SNET-P(HD)

Post by Corb »

BCExpat wrote:
Corb wrote:Calgary is doing a good job of clogging up the middle in their zone and at center ice.

Dull game.
I beg to differ - it is anything but a dull game. Lots of end to end action.
Did you see the Detroit Vancouver game the other night?

Anyway, the play has picked up since my post.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Flames absolutely suffocating the Nucks.

That's all she wrote...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Good game by the Flames....blocking shots , forwards coming back to support the D. They did plug the middle up but Vancouver did nothing to beat it. You need to support the puck offensively and complete short crisp passes with players f*&%ing feet moving ......oh and don't be afraid to dump it in and use your speed ffs.

The Flames definitely have more team speed than they used to and while they don't want to get into a track meet with Vancouver it appears Feaster and co. can see the way the league is going unlike Dutter before him .

Merry Christmas to all . Blobcat is out...... going to drink myelf into oblivion tonight and start my shopping tomorrow. All the best kids. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Corb wrote:
BCExpat wrote:
Corb wrote:Calgary is doing a good job of clogging up the middle in their zone and at center ice.

Dull game.
I beg to differ - it is anything but a dull game. Lots of end to end action.
Did you see the Detroit Vancouver game the other night?

Anyway, the play has picked up since my post.
I didn't say it was the most exciting game ever, but it sure wasn't dull. Anyway, the Flames did a great job defensively, pretty much neutralizing the Canucks. The difference tonight is the Flames were able to skate with the Canucks - which is not something you could say for the last few years. They have a lot of youth in the lineup now - Horak, Byron, Brodie, Backlund - all great skaters. Also, they added Blake Comeau, who has added a lot of speed to the line up. You notice that Babchuk isn't in the lineup. Guys like Smith have come in and taken his place - Smith has been very steady.

Anyway, it was a good win for the Flames - they needed the points. As for the Canucks - they didn't look great tonight - maybe because of the Flames defensive game and maybe because of the slight layoff they had - they didn't look sharp at all. But hey - you know damn well the Canucks will come out and kick some butt in thier next game.

Anyway, you win some, you lose some - no big deal - it's hockey. Merry Christmas to all!
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Passing was terrible, shot selection was poor, too much hanging on to the puck or looking to dish it off, Kesler was too much of a one man attack at times, nobody crashing the net for rebounds. Blow up the team. This isn't a winner. June was no surprise looking back at it now.

.....staying true to form and style of this GDT. :P
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

ONE of the differences in the game was that Leland DIDN'T let in a garbage goal.... Luongo did. It kind of reminded me of one of his classics - the '07 series against Anaheim where he was totally unprepared and zip it was over.

Full marks to Calgary though, they were the better team tonight and deserved the win.
cc oldtimer
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Merry Christmas to all . Blobcat is out...... going to drink myelf into oblivion tonight and start my shopping tomorrow. All the best kids. :lol:
Where you shopping tomorrow Blobby? Coquitlam Centre? I'll be hitting the downtown network of stores where the real hot chicks are and then I may frequent an Irish Pub in Gastown at the end the day. I shop in style B-Cat. Merry X Mass my Tri-Cities Brother, ya know I love ya. One day we ought to drink some Scotch at the St, James Well, your territory. I would leave the cozy confines of the great North Shore to get bladdered in your neck of the woods if you bought a few more rounds than I.

Cheers
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Must have been thinking about Santa because their heads were certainly not in this game.

Huge gap between D and forwards which resulted in the Flames being able to sit back and pick off passes in the neutral zone. No urgency in their play. Best shift by the Canucks was the 4th line.

First place in the Division could have been theirs had they put some effort into to this game.

Best of the Season to All
Last edited by Listercat on Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Watched the game with a good friend who is a diehard flames fan....you would have thought he won the lottery..omg he was happy. Oh well bring on the coil

Merry Christmas everyone..... :D
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

rats19 wrote:Watched the game with a good friend who is a diehard flames fan....you would have thought he won the lottery..omg he was happy. Oh well bring on the coil

Merry Christmas everyone..... :D
Well he's in for a very long and painful rebuild... one day. So he has to find solace in something I s'pose.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

had a feeling the canucks would lose this one ( probably the next one too against the oilers),frustrating to see them beat two of the better teams,move up in the standings, and then turn around and lose to weaker teams.As a canuck fan i guess i should be used to it by now.

For me this is the time of the year that the real pre-season play ends and the regular season starts. Most clubs know what they have at this point,the pretenders have been exposed and the contenders are in form.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

The 4th line looked like they were interested, the rest...early start to Christmas. I thought Ebbett put himself about and was effective

Merry Christmas one and all
cheers
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Mëds wrote:Passing was terrible, shot selection was poor, too much hanging on to the puck or looking to dish it off, Kesler was too much of a one man attack at times, nobody crashing the net for rebounds. Blow up the team. This isn't a winner. June was no surprise looking back at it now.

.....staying true to form and style of this GDT. :P

But what can we get for Kesler at the deadline? Will Henrik waive his NMC?