GDT: Detroit @ Vancouver, 7:00 pm, TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Detroit @ Vancouver, 7:00 pm, TSN

Post by dhabums »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
dhabums wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Anaheim sucks, needs goaltending and has what we need in George Parros.
A playoff bench warmer?
I think he can actually play. I consider him more than just a fighter.
Also, he becomes an asset when u need to push back against a team that likes to cheap shot after the whistle.
Yeah u Boston and Chicago!
He is a playoff liability who sat and watched the Ducks win the Cup.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Jovorock wrote:Kronwall left his feet and jumped up, that's why I think it is a bad hit! Remember Downey hit a guy a couple years ago in pre-season from the Sens and he got supended for that?

The Downie hit was far, far worse.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Jovorock wrote:Kronwall left his feet and jumped up, that's why I think it is a bad hit! Remember Downey hit a guy a couple years ago in pre-season from the Sens and he got supended for that?
Let's keep in mind that the SHG we scored when Kesler was in the box was probably given to us because they didn't penalize Kronwall... no way that goal should have counted.

Kronwall Hit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY1URVoOllY

Downie Hit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HerZdQmigLs

Pretty big difference, if you ask me. Although Kronwall certainly left his feet, I think it was in anticipation of the contact (ie trying to explode through the check and he mis-timed his "explosion"). Downie's was an obvious and blatant attempt to put someone in the hospital.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

dhabums wrote:

The Downie hit was far, far worse.
I agree but both Kronwall and Downey left their feet is all that I am saying
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

The Edler goal was a good goal. Hansen was cutting in and Zetterberg gave Hansen a push. Whether the push caused Hansen to lose the edge NO ONE will ever know including the NHL as much as they want to say things. In order to know you have to know how strong Hansen is on his skates in that situation, on those ice conditions, with how sharp his skates are at that moment in time etc etc. The ref took the facts on the play saw the contact and made the right call based on what he saw. It was the right call and as I said no one can tell what made Hansen fall no matter how much you slow things down. I'm hard on officials but to publicly call out an official on THAT play requires a mental midget to do so.

It is an absolute joke that the league comes out and says things like it shouldn't have counted. Seriously "there was not enough of a push?" How the fuck do they know how hard Zetterberg pushes? YOu can't tell that from the repaly. They are talking about it on the Wings-Flames broadcast but colour guy says give the officials a break. There was contact and they made the call based on that (i.e. the official didn't make the wrong call). It was a judgement call by an official and one that is not at all black and white. As such It's a stupid thing to do in coming out to say it shouldn't count and if you are then they should call out the Bertuzzi goal as also one that should have been called back due to a push off. Call out the fact Kesler got a penalty for no apparent reason and that a charge should have been called. But the NHL never fails to amaze me. There are goals every week that shouldn't count (or should!) yet not a word is said until the canucks are involved? How the hell does that work?

Well you know how it works? The NHL was taken to task by 29 GMs for not giving Lucic a hefty suspension and now they have no idea what to do about goaltenders and want to pretend they have a 12 foot by 12 foot crease or something. Admit you messed up on that Lucic call but don't completely change the game because of the incompetence of the head office.

I can almost guarantee that if there are no efforts to injure a goaltender like Lucic and Tootoo over the next couple of months that that goal will be called a good goal 95% of the time....and a 100% of the time in the playoffs.
Last edited by tantalum on Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

dhabums wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=383366

Kerry Fraser's take.
Fine except on every replay Zetterberg definitely does push Hansen right before he blew a tire. Even the NHL says so given they say they don't believe the push was enough (which is an impossible thing to prove). So the foundation of Kerry's argument is shit.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Kronwall just made another big hit (on Jackman) in the Calgary game.

The difference is that he didn't leave his feet. Similarities are: he committed big to get the hit; & the hit was quickly followed by a goal against (Detroit). Physicality is great, in measured doses, at the right time.

PS - Detroit looks tired. Hope Calgary does tomorrow.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

clem wrote:Kronwall just made another big hit (on Jackman) in the Calgary game.

The difference is that he didn't leave his feet. Similarities are: he committed big to get the hit; & the hit was quickly followed by a goal against (Detroit). Physicality is great, in measured doses, at the right time.

Detroit look like they played the fastest team in the league last night in a hard fought game. They have nothing tonight. Calgary really hasn't even had to try. THey aren't getting tired. Still a rested canuck team versus a rested Calgary team should be a canuck win 9 times out of 10.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

tantalum wrote:

Detroit look like they played the fastest team in the league last night in a hard fought game. They have nothing tonight. Calgary really hasn't even had to try. THey aren't getting tired. Still a rested canuck team versus a rested Calgary team should be a canuck win 9 times out of 10.
Funny, Calpuke will consider winning against a tired team tonight tremendously titillating but with be jerking out the excuses tomorrow night and complaining that Vancouver "always seems" to play teams on b2b nights. Facts of course will not dispel this myth.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Why spoil a good story with facts?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well, sometimes pay back is a bitch. Bertuzzi pushes Salo on top of Luongo and then scores on the play. No call on Bert.

Big K, who I'd love to have on my team, leaves his feet and bum slams kesler and no charging call butt Kesler gets 2 for blowing a gasket.

So when hansen gets shoved and loses an edge, which by the way he had to have his skates sharpened when he left the ice, people call foul. Now when I saw the play live I fully expected a no goal call and was surprised when the only arm waiving was to signal a goal. But these ore the breaks that usually go against Vancouver, not for them. Watching live I thought he was pushed and the replay shows he was. I think simply he was pushed, lost an edge and hit Howard. No intention on his part and incidental contact does not apply, IMHO, because he was pushed. And I agree, how can the NHL view the film and make a judgement call as to whether it was hard enough or not. It obviously was hard enough to cause the fall because, well, he fell. Now he may have fallen anyway . If you watch the replay he clearly lost an edge which had nothing to do with being pushed but the fact was he was pushed and at high speed live the ref has to make a slit second decision. So no blown call. Fluke yes, unfortunate for Detroit yes, but thems the breaks.

I was impressed with Babcock's response to the whole thing. Stated clearly that the score ended up being 4-2 not 3-2 or 4-3 and so in his mind did not decide the out come of the game. Now of course if Vancouver does not score that shorty Detroit has a great chance to tie it up so to me he took the high road and I was very impressed with his response. Class all the way. No way was he going to let his players off the hook for playing a dismal 2 periods and being owned by the Canucks most of the game.
The only HW the Canucks need
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Another huge hit that basically helped the other team.

Kronwall hits a borderline goon and takes himself out of position. Flames score and win the game while probably pushing Detroit a little harder physically then they normally would.

I thin Kronwall just likes being on the high light reel because his hits really don't seem to have much to do with winning hockey games.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Another huge hit that basically helped the other team.

Kronwall hits a borderline goon and takes himself out of position. Flames score and win the game while probably pushing Detroit a little harder physically then they normally would.

I thin Kronwall just likes being on the high light reel because his hits really don't seem to have much to do with winning hockey games.
And once again we find proof that Mike Gillis is a frickin genius. 8-)

Hockey is about scoring goals. The rest is a side show.
GMMG has chosen to focus on what's important.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.