GDT: Detroit @ Vancouver, 7:00 pm, TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: Detroit @ Vancouver, 7:00 pm, TSN

Post by Larry Goodenough »

dhabums wrote:
newcanuckfan wrote: Total BS on Kesler's call when Howard didn't draw one for his tantrum.
Here are your choices:

1. Goal allowed, no penalty.
2. Goal waved off, Howard gets 2 for roughing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can be assessed a penalty after a goal is scored against you. The goal was scored, the play was over and Howard chased Hansen (just like Kesler 20 seconds before) and actually touched Hansen (unlike Kesler 20 seconds before.) The bar was set only 20 seconds before - if you chase a guy after a hit you don't like, you get a roughing penalty. How can you change a bar you set in only 20 seconds?

My choice is number 3 - goal allowed, Howard gets 2 minutes for chasing, 2 more minutes for roughing
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

BTW - for my Christmas present, I want us to all post responses in the next game day thread (Dec 23rd vs Calgary) in Calpuck style. Pretty please... you have to give an 11 year old kid with scoliosis what he wants for Christmas.......
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Larry Goodenough wrote:
dhabums wrote:
newcanuckfan wrote: Total BS on Kesler's call when Howard didn't draw one for his tantrum.
Here are your choices:

1. Goal allowed, no penalty.
2. Goal waved off, Howard gets 2 for roughing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can be assessed a penalty after a goal is scored against you. The goal was scored, the play was over and Howard chased Hansen (just like Kesler 20 seconds before) and actually touched Hansen (unlike Kesler 20 seconds before.) The bar was set only 20 seconds before - if you chase a guy after a hit you don't like, you get a roughing penalty. How can you change a bar you set in only 20 seconds?

My choice is number 3 - goal allowed, Howard gets 2 minutes for chasing, 2 more minutes for roughing
I'll take choice number 3 as well.

As to dhabums.....

If ROW is what really counts, then I can happily say that the Canucks sit tied for second in the NHL a mere one win behind the league leading Flyer's. :)
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Kronwall's hit was sweet. - no issue other than he left his feet. Because he left his feet a head shot become far more likely, thus a need for review. At the same time Kesler should get a talking too but so should the officials for letting that game get out of hand.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Larry Goodenough wrote:

You are indeed correct. After a goal is scored and a penalty is taken it can and should be called. The only time a penalty is not called is of it occurs before the goal and it is then waived off. Howard most definitely should have been assessed a 2 minute penalty on that play.

As for Kesler, lets face it, the only reason he went after the guy was because he knew he would not fight. Kesler isn't exactly known as a tough guy and he knew he was safe in doing so. He got the penalty for grabbing the second guy in by the jersey and pulling/pushing him after he had been warned by the ref. It should have been unsportsman like but he got roughing. Same thing Howard should have been given for the exact same thing.

As for the hit, everything was fine but the leaving the feet and that alone made it a penalty. Other than that I love his devastating hits as much as I love it when Edler does the same thing.

This was a great game to watch. We were jumping on all cylinders in this one. When Ballard is back I hope it is Alberts that sits. I like so far what Sultzer brings in the limited games he has played. This team is fun to watch again and boy oh boy I can't wait for Booth to get back and if we are healthy what the team will look like. Drop Higgins back to the 3rd to play with Hodgson and Hansen and Malhotra to the 4th and suddenly we are very very fast and deep in 4 lines.
The only HW the Canucks need
newcanuckfan
CC Veteran

Post by newcanuckfan »

Wait a minute...upon further review, Howard may have been congratulating Hansen....
Attachments
5897957.bin.jpeg
5897957.bin.jpeg (37.58 KiB) Viewed 4143 times
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I actually think that a goaltender throwing punches with his blocker on is a game misconduct, but I think that only ever gets called if the punches are to the face.

Should have been two minutes for sure. Still not sure why Kesler got 2 minutes for being hit but he got away with the knee so he can't complain that much.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Larry Goodenough wrote: This was a great game to watch. We were jumping on all cylinders in this one. When Ballard is back I hope it is Alberts that sits. I like so far what Sultzer brings in the limited games he has played. This team is fun to watch again and boy oh boy I can't wait for Booth to get back and if we are healthy what the team will look like. Drop Higgins back to the 3rd to play with Hodgson and Hansen and Malhotra to the 4th and suddenly we are very very fast and deep in 4 lines.
I think the shopping list for Gillis if the team is healthy at the deadline (a BIG if it seems) will be a big, physical 4th line winger and perhaps a similar 13th forward. I think he may also look to move Ballard who if he continues to play as he did before the back issues would make it on many teams top 4. To replace Ballard he'll look for a physical #5 D-man who can play 20 minutes a night and provide a steady defensive game...Tim Gleason for instance.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

We got Ballard for the season, forgetaboutit. We are going to make a move on B.C. boy Josh Georges in the off-season. Somehow we get Weber here as well, our Defense will then boast 3 Kelowna Rockets D-mates in Edler, Georges and Weber. Trust me, this will happen.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Larry Goodenough wrote:BTW - for my Christmas present, I want us to all post responses in the next game day thread (Dec 23rd vs Calgary) in Calpuck style. Pretty please... you have to give an 11 year old kid with scoliosis what he wants for Christmas.......
I will do my part in the spirit of Festivus, but only after the airing of grievances and feats of strength.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Vpete wrote:Kronwall's hit was sweet. - no issue other than he left his feet. Because he left his feet a head shot become far more likely, thus a need for review. At the same time Kesler should get a talking too but so should the officials for letting that game get out of hand.

I don't have a problem with the hit, but from a league perspective it was not clean.

Obvious charge since Kronwalls feet we almost a foot off the ground and keslers face was cut by his visor witch means there was significant contact to the head.

If this were an unknown player from a small market, this is a suspension all be it a short one. Kronwall will get a stern warning and a 5$ fine.

Kesler hanging his leg was nothing, contact was basically shin to shin, who cares.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:
As for Kesler, lets face it, the only reason he went after the guy was because he knew he would not fight. Kesler isn't exactly known as a tough guy and he knew he was safe in doing so. He got the penalty for grabbing the second guy in by the jersey and pulling/pushing him after he had been warned by the ref. It should have been unsportsman like but he got roughing. Same thing Howard should have been given for the exact same thing.

No clue where you are getting that from.

Kesler has had a half dozen fights in the last several years most of which were against players who are a lot more accomplished in that area.

He is not nor has he ever been, afraid to fight.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

The reason Kesler went after Kronwall was to tell the guy don't do it again or I'l kick the sh!t out of you and Kesler can do it when he wants
cheers
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Fred wrote:The reason Kesler went after Kronwall was to tell the guy don't do it again or I'l kick the sh!t out of you and Kesler can do it when he wants
Actually I think Kesler did it because he was really pissed off, I don't think it had much to do with sending a message.

I think Kesler would have gone after just about anyone in that situation (well obviously not a guy who is going to absolutely shit kick him but any non-heavyweight type)

Keep in mind Kesler targeted and fought, Shea Weber a few years back, he is not the slightest bit afraid to fight, despite not being very good at it.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

I think Hodgson was sloppy with the puck after his goal.