Canucks vs. Blue Jackets in Columbus 4PM PST SNET-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks vs. Blue Jackets in Columbus 4PM PST SNET-P

Postby Listercat » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:00 pm

Luongo kept them in a game that should not have gone to OT let alone a shootout !!

The strategy for breaking the trap is IMO not working. The Dman are forced to rifle the puck up the boards so the winger can tip it into the offensive zone. The problem with this is twofold. Firstly, it can lead to neutral zone turnovers, which it did on several occasions. Secondly, the "forecheckers" are standing still waiting for the puck to cross the blue line and they often can't get in quick enough. This strategy also tends to widen the gap between the D and forwards on breakouts as forwards vacate early.

Mason was ripe for the picking and the Canucks let him get away.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Benjo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:14 pm

clem wrote:I didn't get to see that goal. You may have crushed my optimism.

However, flopping on the puck (even if it squeezes by) is different than flopping in front of the shooter. There is a respectable flop, and then there is the … fish flop. ;)

Was Lu respectable or fishy ?

It was actually kind of like this goal also scored by Carter on Lu, it was a 4 on 3 and Carter somehow jammed it under his pad while Lu was prone.

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby clem » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:25 pm

Benjo wrote:
clem wrote:I didn't get to see that goal. You may have crushed my optimism.

However, flopping on the puck (even if it squeezes by) is different than flopping in front of the shooter. There is a respectable flop, and then there is the … fish flop. ;)

Was Lu respectable or fishy ?

It was actually kind of like this goal also scored by Carter on Lu, it was a 4 on 3 and Carter somehow jammed it under his pad while Lu was prone.

The example looked respectable to me. If the puck is in the paint you try and smother it. If it sqeezes by, at least you tried the right thing.

Optimism intact.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Benjo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:27 am

I see it in a glass half empty way. He's only covering the bottom 1/8 th of the net and picks are still squeezing under him :p
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Previous

Return to Game Day Forum