GDT Canucks at Senators CBC 4pm PST

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT Canucks at Senators CBC 4pm PST

Post by Island Nucklehead »

clem wrote:Where are those Weise doubters?
Looks good on Neil, that's for sure.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

The best defensive game by the Canucks this season. Team was composed & committed in shutting Ottawa down in the third period.
BCReefer
CC Veteran

Post by BCReefer »

He can skate, he can move, he scores.
He is not signed to skate, move or score. His main job is to play tough, hit and fight.

Of course his goal helps but that is not what they signed him to do. MG really does need to address the 4th line and get anyone who can actually fight and win one.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

BCReefer wrote:

He is not signed to skate, move or score. His main job is to play tough, hit and fight.

Of course his goal helps but that is not what they signed him to do. MG really does need to address the 4th line and get anyone who can actually fight and win one.
He did all the things on your list, and scored. What the fuck do you guys want from the guy? Seriously, you want a guy like Konopka who can't even crack the Ottawa lineup?

I'd like to add a guy like Neil who is tough and can play. But are his attributes really that much better than a player like Weise? That was a nice fucking goal.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BCReefer wrote:

Exactly!

He lost a fight to a guy who has averaged 1 fight a season in the NHL. Tonights beat down on Weise was Foligno's first fight of this season. Foligno isn't a fighter, never has been never will be, so what does that say about Weise? I know what it says, he ain't the guy for the job on the 4th line. We got enough forwards who can play the game, we need better presence in the nasty department on the 4th line. The Weise experiment is a failed one. File him under Victor Oreskovich.

As for his goal, holy hell he beat the worlds best back checker in Chris Neil! I've seen better back checking efforts from Pavel Bure than what Neil displayed there.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah, he's a regular Mike Bossy out there. I really do expect to see that on a regular basis from Weise, to bad there aren't enough Neil's out there to be checking Dale Weise. The bottom line is, his role is to provide toughness and he clearly sucks in that department. Just ask Foligno's fists.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

First intermission of Cal/Edm and Milbury says Kesler embellished getting boarded in a vulnerable position.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

RoyalDude wrote:

Yeah, he's a regular Mike Bossy out there. I really do expect to see that on a regular basis from Weise, to bad there aren't enough Neil's out there to be checking Dale Weise. The bottom line is, his role is to provide toughness and he clearly sucks in that department. Just ask Foligno's fists.
Everyone brings a different contribution. Who contributed more to the game: Neil, Carkner, Foglino, or Weise?

It would be nice to add a tough heavyweight who can skate well, forecheck, and not be a defensive liability.
Not so easy to come by.
Waffle
CC Veteran

Post by Waffle »

Mike Milbury is an idiot. In the second intermission in the Van-Ottawa game, he compared hockey to mixed martial arts.....its okay to beat your opponents brains out in mixed martial arts, so it should be okay in hockey too. Who can argue with that kind of logic. I didn’t put a question mark there as it is a statement of fact...there is no point in arguing with nonrationality.

Is it just me, or is there a lot more interference now being let go on shoot ins and other plays? I think the old clutch and grab hockey is not that far away...except for the Sedins. If you do it on them its okay, but if they do it, its penalty time.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Benjo wrote:First intermission of Cal/Edm and Milbury says Kesler embellished getting boarded in a vulnerable position.
I have a sneaking suspicion that Milbury's right. That's what I thought when I saw the replay as Kes really didn't hit the boards with his head all that hard.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

mathonwy wrote:
Benjo wrote:First intermission of Cal/Edm and Milbury says Kesler embellished getting boarded in a vulnerable position.
I have a sneaking suspicion that Milbury's right. That's what I thought when I saw the replay as Kes really didn't hit the boards with his head all that hard.
Does it have to be a head shot for it to be a boarding penalty??? He got 2 for not letting up on a guy in a vulnerable position.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

BCReefer wrote:He is not signed to skate, move or score. His main job is to play tough, hit and fight.
I really don't it is. If GMMG gave a shit about fighting, why did he let Rypien walk in the off season instead of re-signing him?
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

herb wrote:
BCReefer wrote:He is not signed to skate, move or score. His main job is to play tough, hit and fight.
I really don't it is. If GMMG gave a shit about fighting, why did he let Rypien walk in the off season instead of re-signing him?
I believe that was a decision made for Rypien's well being, he enjoyed his time in Winnipeg.
BCReefer
CC Veteran

Post by BCReefer »

herb wrote:
Because Rypien (RIP) was a headcase and could not be counted on.

I am not saying getting a full goon who can barely speak English just something better than this team has had over the past 2 years. Regardles of what the NHL has done this season for suspensions, in the playoffs the game is different and there will not be as many penalties, Canucks still need some more grit/toughness on this team.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Benjo wrote:I believe that was a decision made for Rypien's well being, he enjoyed his time in Winnipeg.
Perhaps.

I think there are two things at play here; A) Good fighters are hard to acquire and B) Having intimidating fighters is not a priority here.

The bottom line is that GMMG has let noted fighters walk (Hornychuck, Rypien, Fedoruk) while the bottom six guys he has brought in were clearly sought after for more than their fighting prowess (Malhotra, Torres, Higgins, Lapierre, Weise, Bitz, Pinizzotto, Volpatti, Glass, Tambellini, Ebbett, Oreskovich).

IMO Gillis is trying to build a bottom six with speed, skill and two way play. When we had a fourth line that included "fighters" (Hordichuk and Rypien) it was a horrible experience that was dominated territorially and contributed zero offensively. Fuck me, that Hordichuk/Johnson/Rypien line was brutal. The current fourth line is miles ahead of that one.

I think Weise has been decent, and I don't for a second think he was brought in to fight or intimidate anybody. If we can add a winger with size and speed, who forechecks hard and is sound defensively then I think our fourth line is in good shape. Maybe Bitz is that player, but he sure as hell isn't a good fighter.