GDT Canucks at Senators CBC 4pm PST

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: GDT Canucks at Senators CBC 4pm PST

Post by herb »

BCReefer wrote:Canucks still need some more grit/toughness on this team.
I don't think we have a situation where we absolutely need to acquire more "toughness". We rolled over SJ and Nashville last year when both of those teams had "tougher" players than we do.

The bottom line is guys like Weise have not been acquired to fight.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Some comments.

Mike Milbury is an ass !! He spent his credibility as a GM and has pretty much done the same as an analyst.

I do not get the love in for Chris Neil. What exactly did he do for his team in this game other than take stupid penalties? The Canucks should have buried the Sens on those alone. His elbow to Burrows head should be reviewed, not for its severity but for the intent as he clearly targeted Burr's head. The Canucks made Neil look like a clown, hell, even Dale Wiese made him look like a clown!!

The Foligno hit on Cody was a good one, although not for Cody. Cody turned into Foligno and had his head down. The Foligno hit on Kesler was late as well as targeting an guy who was already on his knees and against the boards( in a vulnerable position

Good to see Luongo put forth a solid 60 minutes. Hopefully, it should give his confidence a boost.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

BCReefer wrote:
clem wrote:Where are those Weise doubters?

He can skate, he can move, he scores.
He is not signed to skate, move or score. His main job is to play tough, hit and fight.

Of course his goal helps but that is not what they signed him to do. MG really does need to address the 4th line and get anyone who can actually fight and win one.
Ottawa has 3-4 guys that can fight; remind me who won the game.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Vancouver won the game but Ottawa won the war. We lost another good player because Foligno wasn't too worried about retribution. He should have eased up on the direct hit to Hodgson's head. Every team is now taking liberties against the Sedin's and others as most of us predicted they would. When Henrik has to step up and dump Neil for whacking Daniel's ankles then you know it's time that Gillis brought in a tough guy. I'm wondering how tough Bitz is and how far away he is from playing. Now we can listen to the ice dance fan's make excuses and justify why we don't need physical help.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Canuck-One wrote:Vancouver won the game but Ottawa won the war. We lost another good player because Foligno wasn't too worried about retribution. He should have eased up on the direct hit to Hodgson's head.
I totally agree with you. I believe that players league wide stop in the middle of a hit and think "hmmmm, will anyone come after me" right before they finish a clean check. I remember reading Aaron Rome's mind milliseconds before he destroyed Horton, he was really worried about Chara, Lucic and Thornton. Matt Cooke is always thinking about what might happen too.

I often read boards where people claim that many a Canuck fans is likely stupid and has never actually skated. I always defend that point as ignorant.

I think I was wrong.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I would think (hope?) that Foligno will be getting a call from Shannahan. His hit on Hodgson was still outside the new rules which go to the principal point of contact in a hit being the head. I grant that Hodgson had his head down as he turned, and CoHo was also trying a bit of a last minute razzle-dazzle, and he was falling forward/bent over a bit. However, the rule stands, moreover, when you look at how far away Foligno was when he lined Hodgson up and combine that with the way our last meeting ended etc.....

Ok, so maybe he gets a bit of a bye on that one with all the extenuating circumstances and what not. Maybe.

Head into the second period, after Kesler has potted 2 goals and is our most dangerous forward at both ends of the ice (Kes had a great forechecking game tonight). Foligno lines Kesler up from the middle of the zone, when he starts towards Kesler all he can see is the number 17 because Kesler's back is turned, then Kes gets tied up a bit by the defender checking him and drops to a knee, then Foligno comes in and puts him head first into the boards with his forearms planted on Kesler's name bar. At this point you have to be looking at intent. The guy concusses one player, fights another, and then runs another into the boards. Two of the hits catching "defenseless players" in awkward positions.

When you add Chris Neil's antics to Foligno, Myth Buster's has a hey-day proving that pieces of shit actually can skate.

Ottawa was out for blood from the drop of the puck. After they had taken a pound of flesh they looked at the scoreboard and realized that they were the one's truly bloodied.....so then they took to diving. See Alfredsson on Hansen's "cross-check".....I thought the stoppage in play was us getting a penalty.

Lou played a solid game. Anderson kept Ottawa in striking distance until the 4th goal, if he hadn't made some good saves this game was long gone by the middle of the 2nd period.

I agree with the assessment that we don't need a fighter. It ultimately proves fruitless. We need a couple of punks who expect to play 40 games a piece, can skate two-ways, and are willing to runover an unsuspecting goaltender or opponent's top forward when we run into a team who is out to injure one of our guys. I say this only because the NHL has proven to be completely incapable of balancing hockey's scales of justice, therefore it falls to the players to police it themselves.

Moving on to Columbus.....
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Mëds wrote: I agree with the assessment that we don't need a fighter. It ultimately proves fruitless. We need a couple of punks who expect to play 40 games a piece, can skate two-ways, and are willing to runover an unsuspecting goaltender or opponent's top forward when we run into a team who is out to injure one of our guys. I say this only because the NHL has proven to be completely incapable of balancing hockey's scales of justice, therefore it falls to the players to police it themselves.

Moving on to Columbus.....
Bravo..

And those couple of punks will be Frik and Frak, I mean Kes and Burr. And closely behind them will be Higgins, Lappy, Booth... maybe Bieksa...

Kes and Burr are the two forwards that have changed the most dramatically on our team in the last 5 years. Both of them have evolved incredibly and are now legitimate top 3 forwards. This game is the first game ever where I saw Kes actively go after the opponent's top forwards after the opponent's take a run at ours. After the melee with the Sedins and Neil, the next shift, Kes stopped and made Alfy run into him. I don't ever recall a Canuck doing that before.

It really bodes well for the Nucks if Kesler starts really growing this part of his game and as I've said along, Kesler really "should" be the captain of this team. Hank, god bless his soul, just doesn't have an asshole in him. However, I believe that Kesler does.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Gillis should be paying attention. There's not a softer team in hockey than the Canucks...
How about that Japanese team with a cute bunny on their jerseys?
http://www.frosken.com/hockey/japan.html
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Uncle dans leg wrote:This is perfect example of us needing a tough guy to even the after whistle bullshit out. Right now, we have no answer except to blow them out on the scoreboard.
Yeah, too bad scoring goals doesn't count for anything in hockey... Oh, wait.... :?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

This is still an old argument that has no resolution because the player who can skate with the Canucks top 9 AND who can drop the gloves and crack visors with steel knuckles AND be low down mean and dirty when it comes time for retribution, that sort of player is worth his weight (250+ lbs) in gold. Show me where such a player exists and is available and I'll show you a certain baggy eyed GM all over it.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

How exactly are the canucks soft?

Did anyone see a canuck shying away from the physical play last night? No? DIdn't think so.

The only thing Ottawa proved last night was that they are a bad team butt hurt over an accident a couple weeks prior that didn't even lead to an injury. The canucks were not intimidated one bit last night nor were they intimidated one bit when other teams tried it in the playoffs and other games. The canucks USED to get off their game with teh BS and then they would lose. As soon as they figured out to ignore the bulk of it they took off as a team.

Having a meat head isn't going to do anything about teams playing the canucks physically or at least trying to. I find it funny that people think it would. Chris Neil doesn't care if a team has a goon on the bench. He'll still run around taking borderline shots at guys (and bad penalties). What would a goon have done last night? Foligno made a hit on Hodgson which was quite frankly unfortunate for Hodgson. No way Foligno drops the gloves with a meat head so that goon is meaningless in that situation. If seeing Hodgson spaghetti leg his way out of the game doesn't sober a guy up so that he is careful delivering his next hit then a meat head isn't going to do it either.

The only thing a goon on the bench would do is make the other 11 skaters play more minutes every night.

Now if we're talking about a guy who can be a significant physical presence on the 4th line while 9-10 minutes on a championship caliber team or a regular third pairing D-man playing 15 minutes a night while feeding the opposition his stick in front of the net of course the canucks should be interested in that just like every other team. But that isn't a Janssen or Boll or Eager or Boulton who can't even play regular minutes on bad teams.

But really, if people want to say the team is soft at least pick a game where they looked physically intimidated and not one they cruised to a 4-1 victory (and pick one where the #1 D-man wasn't out of the lineup, a D-men with a separated shoulder, a, a D-man with what was likely a bone bruise, a D-man with foot and hand injuries, a suspended D-man, a Selke forward with one good leg, a forward with a broken foot, a former art ross winner with a bad back etc...).
Last edited by tantalum on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Per wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:This is perfect example of us needing a tough guy to even the after whistle bullshit out. Right now, we have no answer except to blow them out on the scoreboard.
Yeah, too bad scoring goals doesn't count for anything in hockey... Oh, wait.... :?
Or...somewhere in south east Ontario there's a hockey fan board where most of the posters are saying they need more skill and less goons.

It's hard to watch your team get thumped like that, even in a win. The cave man in all of us wants our team to thump them back! Goals are pretty, wins are what we are going for but blood is what we want deep down!
If you need air...call it in
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Started off reading this thread and wondered if I had got the wrong place. Nine out of ten won and we should have won that loss to Nashville. Lou is starting to play like we know he can. The D looks great and the forwrds are flying, and all I read about is how we need a psychopath. Do not, repeat, DO NOT drink the koolaid being offered by Eastern TV. McLean is a putz and he certainly got bullied in the school yard by someone who lookied just like Burr. Milbury is a fat pig who is a homer of the worst sort. I was proud of our team last night. Thought they played the game exactly the way it needs to be played. Hank and Danny were wonderful, Kes was flying and Edler just gets better as does the fourth line. Weiss gets full marks for Foligno. Should Weiss not wait for Foligno to take off his helmet? I would not like to fight with my bare hands when I hit hard plastic. Neil is no longer someone I want on our team. He was stupid and tried to hurt Burr. What is the problem with fans and Burr. There is not a team in the NHL that would not take him and his low cap hit in a heart beat. I also like the grin Lappy gets on his face. Great teeth. The only thing I did not like was Kes selling the hit by Foligno. It was being called so why put on more than it was? The replay showed he did not get hurt so the criticism of Kes is valid but he is not alone in the NHL.

As I continued to read I did see many others coming to the same conclusion. This tough stuff is not why we lost to Boston. Injuries, TT and the refs did that. Boiston outplayed us in the end for all those reasons and more. We look like we learned something about the team tonight. They look confident and have their swagger back a bit. Like what the twins did to Neil. Blue Jackets next. God I would love to see Nash on a contender.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

tantalum wrote: Now if we're talking about a guy who can be a significant physical presence on the 4th line while 9-10 minutes on a championship caliber team or a regular third pairing D-man playing 15 minutes a night while feeding the opposition his stick in front of the net of course the canucks should be interested in that just like every other team. But that isn't a Janssen or Boll or Eager or Boulton who can't even play regular minutes on bad teams.
I agree in principle, but let's not forget that guys like Eager, Godard, Shawn Thornton (twice), Darren McCarty and George Parros have all won Cups since the lockout.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hey, I'm not longing for MoneyPuck to land some sort of Knuckledragger meathead, but at least have somebody in the line-up who can at least handle a non-fighter in Nick Foligno, I mean, fuck was that embarrassing, our so called 'fighter' in the line-up can't even fight his way out of a paper bag. Yet, Weise somehow gets his walking papers around here while you all slag Oresko for being a shitty fighter. Weise and Oresko are replica's of each other, shitty fighters, good skaters, non-punishing-hitters and very polite players. They have no decent intangible that justify a role on this team. Weise ain't here to score, and yes folks, he was brought in to help in the 'toughness' department. Oh such selective memories I'm in the midst of.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau