GDT: Canucks vs Predators | Dec 1 @ 7pm | SNET-VAN (HD), 104

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Canucks vs Predators | Dec 1 @ 7pm | SNET-VAN (HD),

Post by Hockey Widow »

They played good enough to win but you just knew that Nashville would get one chance and score. Thats at least one blown point. Well at least the goalie controversy is over :D
The only HW the Canucks need
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Bah just the way it goes sometimes... We have been fortunate to win 5 straight and tonight all the puck luck went the other way. Cauncks totally dominate territoriality with 81 pucks directed at the net as opposed to the Preds who were less then half that total.

-Hansen wears the goat Horns, not sure what to say, that was as bout as bad of a defensive error as you will see from that player.

-Sedins with a pretty amazing game, just seemed to wear the Preds out on their shifts. A bit more finish would have been great but it's hard to ask for much more.

-Good bounce back game from Hodgson. Had the first goal and just about put the team ahead again in the 3rd. Worked hard tonight and will need to keep it up to stay in the line up now that the team is healthy.

-Very good game again from the 4th line. I suspected Weise and Volpatti needed a push and mason Raymond seemed to do the trick. Both players were very good, who comes out for Sunday?
newcanuckfan
CC Veteran

Post by newcanuckfan »

I missed the first, listened to the second on the radio and watched the third, so the way I took the game in was Iike the play - all over the f'n place.
Pisses me off to give away a point or two. And what's with the odd man rushes and unchecked guys?
The number of chances was good to see and that'll turn to more goals down the road, but scoring 5 on the Preds and losing may be worse than getting shelled by the Hawks. :)
newcanuckfan
CC Veteran

Post by newcanuckfan »

Mondi wrote:I've seen enough of Luongo for another 7 games.

Can't exactly blame him for the last goal, but he provided zero big saves tonight and didn't make one lick of difference.

#luongostartssunday
He came in rusty but I hear ya - still waiting for that Lu to show up this year.
GoalieDad
CC Rookie

Post by GoalieDad »

Corb wrote: It was a great shot. But for the life of me, I don't understand how lunging forward on your face is an effective play.
In the words of the great Goaltending Guru, Lynyrd Skynyrd, "Well ya got that right. Sure got that right."
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Roy invented the butterfly goaltending style, give Lu a shot with this new snow angel style...which would be great if it was the fifties and noone is using curved sticks...
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Benjo wrote:Roy invented the butterfly goaltending style, give Lu a shot with this new snow angel style...which would be great if it was the fifties and noone is using curved sticks...
I think Tretiak was the guy who really revolutionized the butterfly, but yeah, Luongo leaves the entire top half of the net open all the time now and when he slides across he gets WAY too low.

I'm not going to pretend to be any kind of authority on goaltending techniques but something is profoundly wrong with the way Luongo is playing. Schneider looks so much bigger and is so much quicker moving laterally. His reflexes are terrific and he also seems to react to the play way quicker than Lou.

Hopefully Lou can unlearn some of the stuff he started doing last season. His style may have had holes before but it was vastly superior to what he's doing now. Basically if a shooter puts it upstairs and hits the net, it's probably going in on him right now.

We better skullfuck Calgary on Sunday. Like the Preds they'll be coming in desperate.
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

One of the most entertaining games I've watched this team play so far this season. Pure domination with the puck. Nashville chased all night and was completely out-classed. Unfortunately the bounces were against us tonight. SO MANY missed opporutnities, and so many pucks went just off the toe or heel of a stick. Oh well.

Defensively we weren't great, but we weren't terrible either. Hansen screwed up fatally in the last 2 minutes and that was all she wrote. A few bad turnovers, and a really unlucky poke check attempt by Bieksa (the guy is really suffering through the new contract curse), and a bad read by Schneider on the first goal were all it took for Nashville to be in this one and finally steal the win.

All 4 lines were great tonight, all of them skating and going hard.

Now to the goaltending.....

Schneider with that bad read and whiff on the dump in, then a bad angle shot that just made it inside the far post. Shoulda had it, but honestly it looked like even Legwand was surprised that his shot found the twine. The second goal was stoppable, but when a goalie reads a player's shot, and then his defenseman shoves the blade of his stick in there at the last second, there isn't much a goalie can do.....he went down early, but clearly he was reading the shooter there and was surprised. The 3rd goal, well whadya gonna do? Weber unloads a one-timer into the top shelf unchallenged from the top of the faceoff circle.....no goalie is gonna stop that unless it knocks the wind out of him when it hits him in the chest. Right before that Schneider made a HUGE glove save on a one-timer from the point. He still should have had that first one though.

Luongo came in and I gotta say, I was pulling for him. He made a couple good stops, looked bad on that breakaway by Smith, yes he stopped it, but he read glove side and Smith tried 5-hole and hit him as he dropped. Still he made the save. So I was really pulling for him, because hey, if Vigneault is going to play the hot goalie, then having Lou is great if it means he's going to sit when he craters. Well that was short lived. He looked small in net on Tootoo's goal, I mean, can you at least stick your leg out and TRY to get that puck that's along the ice? He was on his belly on the tying goal.....not sure what he is EVER hoping to stop with that belly-flop shit! Yes the winner was a good pass, and Hansen shit the bed on the back-check, but again, coming across and laying down on his belly.....gimme a fucking break! Lunge for it, try staying upright as you come across the net. Something, but no more laying down like that. Luongo get's the L hung on him tonight and deservedly so. You can't come into a game down 3-1, watch your team score 4 straight goals, and then shit the bed and give up 3 straight goals for the loss......especially when you are making $10M this year!!!!!

I was so amped watching this team own the puck and make the Pred's defense turn in circles. I was suddenly getting really excited for Canuck's hockey again this year.....enter Luongo. Sigh.

At least our offense is looking sharp, and Kesler going over the top of the net was worth a laugh.

Moving on to Sunday now.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

I looked at the replays. Luongo fell on his stomach only after he saw the puck went in, on both goals. Still, it looked pretty bad and was completely unnecessary.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Very dissapointed in the goal tending by both Lou and Schneider. 6 Goals on 20 shots? Yikes!

Playing against Nashville is usually a bore but last night sure wasn't. I have to admit when it was tied up in the third, and the Canucks were dominating, I was just waiting for Nashville to score an oppourtunistic goal to win it.

Horrible gaffs by Hansen and Bieksa on the winning and tying goals. Hansens was obvious but Bieksa left the ice to change on a PK while leaving Burrows alone on a 3-on-1 in his own end. Very weird.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

For a Preds game this one was completely upside down. Both Coaches had to be shaking their heads.

Cory came down to earth although he did not play poorly.

The PK was not good in this game. MM had two chances to clear the puck before the Weber blast. Positioning and puck pursuit was a step slow.

Hammer had more mistakes in this game than he's had all season.

As Pot said, they dominated territorially, especially the Sedin line. Anyone who calls the Sedins "soft" needs to actually watch a game and see how strong they are on the puck.

The 4th line was strong primarily because Lappy was skating miles and being a dog on the puck.

Luongo looks to me to have lost confidence. The "desperation" dive seems to be a move born of panic rather than a planned part of his repitoire. Rummy alluded to the apparent "size" in net difference between Luo and Cory and it is apparent in their play.

Cody with a smart players play on his goal and came close to connecting on another. The kid is coming along fine. His "board" play will improve as he gains confidence and gets a better grasp of the game speed.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments:

So much for glass slippers and knights in shining armour. The quick yank of No.2 was the right call. Do you folks think Nashville has a goaltending controversy?

Mason Vopatti with the spinner-ramma one timer capped a stellar fourthline shift. A solid game by that unit.

AV, GMMG, someone in between? Who has Dale Tallon's old watch?

Is there a line more fun to watch than the Sedin line right now? I know the Preds spent a lot of time watching them last night.

Hodgson, despite the goal, has another stinker and wears the goat horns along with Hansen and Bieksa. Guy Jannik LaFluer misses his man on the winner, Bieksa goes for an early change with the puck going the wrong way on the tieing goal. I'll let the one off Kasual Kev's stick go as he was trying to make a play. Cody wears them on Tootoo goal. Halischuck was Silent 3's man but Cody, once again turns away from making a play on the boards. That pass should never have made it to Tootoo.

The way Cody refuses to go near an opponent on the boards is really pissing me off. His first shift of the night, the puck along the boards just in front of the Canuck red line with two players battleing for it. Cody come over to offer support from the defensive side (good), but as he reaches the boards he turns away from the scrum, hits the boards with his back to the play and skates to the corner.

His final shift of the second, the puck comes out of the Nashville end to an open area near the boards at centre, Cody is is the closest Canuck, on the centre redline, makes one stride towards the puck and sees a Pred coming from his blueline for the free puck. Instead of making a very doable race for the puck that may lead to a crash with a Pred at the boards, he immediately peels off to his blueline and lets the Preds gain the zone.

If this is the way guys with bad back play, do you want he a Raymond in the lineup together.

Did you catch his after one interview? To paraphrase "we hung Cory out to dry on a couple of those and need to improve on that". Well Mr. I_don't_kill penalties_because_I_can't_play_defence, two of those goals were on Nashville powerplays. Calling out the guys on the PK are you? Nice one rookie.

Kel is right, Luongo was up on both goals, the belly flop was post goal deflation.

When do Weber and Suter run out of gas?

I didn't catch the # of who caught Tootoo head on in open ice, Alberts?, but I'd like to buy him a beer.

Booth splits the defence down the middle, Guy Jannick LaFluer's goal, what year is it?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

In the Preds zone there was almost no stopping the canucks. The Preds could have easily given up 10 goals last night given the posts, some big saves and missed nets.

Defensively not so good. Some bad goaltending, a lack of any big saves (schneider had one but then the Preds scored 20 seconds later anyways), dreadful PK and some terrible down low coverage tonight. If I know AV, Hansen will be on the 4th line next game as that was a similar blown coverage that Raymond had last season when he got busted down to the 4th line. It was inexcusably lazy.

Play that game another 9 times and the canucks likely destroy to preds in each of those 9 games. The Preds are a mostly disinterested team right now. Has Trotz finally worn out his welcome or is the Suter and Weber situations having an effect on the team?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote:A few comments:

So much for glass slippers and knights in shining armour. The quick yank of No.2 was the right call. Do you folks think Nashville has a goaltending controversy?

Mason Vopatti with the spinner-ramma one timer capped a stellar fourthline shift. A solid game by that unit.

Is there a line more fun to watch than the Sedin line right now? I know the Preds spent a lot of time watching them last night.

Hodgson, despite the goal, has another stinker and wears the goat horns along with Hansen and Bieksa. Guy Jannik LaFluer misses his man on the winner, Bieksa goes for an early change with the puck going the wrong way on the tieing goal. I'll let the one off Kasual Kev's stick go as he was trying to make a play. Cody wears them on Tootoo goal. Halischuck was Silent 3's man but Cody, once again turns away from making a play on the boards. That pass should never have made it to Tootoo.

The way Cody refuses to go near an opponent on the boards is really pissing me off. His first shift of the night, the puck along the boards just in front of the Canuck red line with two players battleing for it. Cody come over to offer support from the defensive side (good), but as he reaches the boards he turns away from the scrum, hits the boards with his back to the play and skates to the corner.

His final shift of the second, the puck comes out of the Nashville end to an open area near the boards at centre, Cody is is the closest Canuck, on the centre redline, makes one stride towards the puck and sees a Pred coming from his blueline for the free puck. Instead of making a very doable race for the puck that may lead to a crash with a Pred at the boards, he immediately peels off to his blueline and lets the Preds gain the zone.

If this is the way guys with bad back play, do you want he a Raymond in the lineup together.

Did you catch his after one interview? To paraphrase "we hung Cory out to dry on a couple of those and need to improve on that". Well Mr. I_don't_kill penalties_because_I_can't_play_defence, two of those goals were on Nashville powerplays. Calling out the guys on the PK are you? Nice one rookie.

Kel is right, Luongo was up on both goals, the belly flop was post goal deflation.

I didn't catch the # of who caught Tootoo head on in open ice, Alberts?, but I'd like to buy him a beer.

Booth splits the defence down the middle, Guy Jannick LaFluer's goal, what year is it?
Holy shit Topper, I came on here to say that was a great game from Cody Hodgson last night. Are we watching the same player? He don't give up the puck that easy and sees the ice as good as anybody in the offensive zone. Move over Malhotra, you suck. Say hi to the 4th line, please.

The weakness on this team is team defense, and sorry Topper, Cody isn't the reason we suck defensively. It doesn't help that you have Ballard, Rome and Alberts all dressing. With those 3 playing, our D must rank near the bottom of the league. Scarey, how noticeable Salo's absence is on this team. If there is a weak link on this team is our depth on D.

The 2nd line only goes when Kesler goes.

The Sedin line was spectacular last night.

One of the oddest games of the year last night
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote:A few comments:

Holy shit Topper, I came on here to say that was a great game from Cody Hodgson last night. Are we watching the same player? All young forwards make their mistakes defensively, I'm seeing quite a few of them from the likes of Nugent Hopkins and other young gifted offensive players, do you give up on them? Hell no, he will get it and get stronger as he gets older, there is too much there not to like about the kid. I'm finally seeing the potential in this guy. He don't give up the puck that easy and sees the ice as good as anybody in the offensive zone. Move over Malhotra, you suck. Say hi to the 4th line, please.

The weakness on this team is team defense, and sorry Topper, Cody isn't the reason we suck defensively. It doesn't help that you have Ballard, Rome and Alberts all dressing. With those 3 playing, our D must rank near the bottom of the league. Scarey, how noticeable Salo's absence is on this team. If there is a weak link on this team is our depth on D.

The 2nd line only goes when Kesler goes.

The Sedin line was spectacular last night.

One of the oddest games of the year last night
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau