GDT: Vancouver & Columbus: Now on SPAC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Vancouver & Columbus: Now on SPAC

Post by Hockey Widow »

With Raymond ready to go I think the odd man out will be Volpati. The top two lines are really clicking right now and the third line is doing all right. I don't think it does any good to have Hodgson sit at this point. I'd start Raymond on the 4th with Lappy and Weiss. Let him get his game legs back and then see where he fits.
The only HW the Canucks need
RespectYourEdlers
CC Rookie

Post by RespectYourEdlers »

Hockey Widow wrote:With Raymond ready to go I think the odd man out will be Volpati. The top two lines are really clicking right now and the third line is doing all right. I don't think it does any good to have Hodgson sit at this point. I'd start Raymond on the 4th with Lappy and Weiss. Let him get his game legs back and then see where he fits.
AV should be questioned by MG if he decides to sit Hodgson, honestly. Sit out Volpatti, put Malohtra on the 4th line LW, and put Raymond on the 3rd line, move Hodgson to C.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Booth
Raymond - Hodgson - Hansen
Malhotra - Lapierre - Weise

I can see where you're coming from in regards of playing Raymond on the 4th line just to find his legs and such, but I think he may find his legs playing a bit more, and with better players - no disrespect to Lapierre, as I love him to death, but Hodgson is a slick passer.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

After seeing Coho get his butt pinned to the bench for a lot of the game I wonder if it is him we see out? I wonder where the cap space comes from too?
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Vpete wrote:After seeing Coho get his butt pinned to the bench for a lot of the game I wonder if it is him we see out? I wonder where the cap space comes from too?
Raymond hasn't been on LTIR, he's been counting against our cap all season.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

As a canuck Booth is now on a 20 goal, 46 point 82 game pace. I think those averages will continue to improve a bit. IN his last 10 games he has 4G and 3A. If he can keep at that sort of production level Gillis has made an excellent trade.

And last night another goal from the edge of the crease, exactly where the team needed help.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Another great effort by Cory. Shame a poorly run PP spoiled the 3rd S/O in 4 games. How do you not continue with Cory in net? He is like a big blanket out there swallowing up everything that comes his way.

Kes looks like he is finally starting to feel comfortable again. His goal is a perfect example of getting positioned to shoot.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Vpete wrote:After seeing Coho get his butt pinned to the bench for a lot of the game I wonder if it is him we see out? I wonder where the cap space comes from too?
Raymond hasn't been on LTIR, he's been counting against our cap all season.
Really? I did not realize that.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

Yah it was a great night for Kesler, but did anybody else see the wide open Booth when Ryan was behind the net? Instead of passing he just skated himself into a corner.

I may be nit-picking, but I'm just curious if others see these sort of things.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments

Columbus plays hard, but too often look like a Chinese fire drill on their way to a train wreck. Is that coaching or players not quite clicking. They definitely need defence.

I alluded to it in another thread the other day. Cody Hodgson is the softest player in the lineup. I pvr'd last weeks games, watched them Sunday morning, what I saw was amplified last night. He absolutely refrains from initiating any physical contact. His checking style is to position himself behind his opponent and reach around for a stick lift and a poke. In open ice, he can make a play, his pass to set up Hansen was terrific, but put him in traffic and he'll bail if he sees a hit coming. He will not take a hit to make a play. This is the way Jordan Schroeder plays. Soft floater.

Speaking of soft floaters, Shane Warne spinning for a poker site. I thought he'd be pushing his Mum's cough syrup.

Schneider, strong positioning, great rebound control, made the big saves he had to and was a lackadaisical play by the No1 PP unit away from a shut out. Many of the shots wereinto the logo, poor shooting or strong positioning, both I'd say. Will he stay in for Thursday, I don't think it was a performance that says he must stay in, but he did nothing wrong to loose his spot. I can see reason for starting either goaltender against the Preds.

After screwing the pooch on that third period PP, the first unit, lead by an aggressive forecheck by Daniel and Kesler got the puck back, Henrik drew two defenders to the half boards and Daniel and Burrows got the puck cross ice.

CorranHorn, you are right on the wrap around, though I believe the play was to the trailer Hamhuis. Third period, up by two, a drop pass into the slot that if intercepted leads to an ugly odd man rush, I don't have a problem with Kesler keeping that one.

That leads to KB3. hey Kevin, there are seven million reasons why you should be paying attention and while protecting a lead in the third, it is time to play defence not pinch on the attack or be the first guy to join the rush.

Booth, with the kind of game I expected from him. I liked Alberts' steady no nonsense game as well. Quietly Weise is settling into his fourth line role, Volpatti I'm not so certain of but I'd rather see him stay in and Cody out when Raymond comes back into the lineup. We don't need to get any softer.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:A few comments

Columbus plays hard, but too often look like a Chinese fire drill on their way to a train wreck. Is that coaching or players not quite clicking. They definitely need defence.
One of the things I noticed about this last night was that Columbus often plays like a great group of individuals who all want to win, but don't know how to get on the same page to go about getting it done.

Nash is a puck hog, so long as he has a free hand to be a one man show the Blue Jacket's are not going anywhere soon. I'm not sure how many times last night (at least half a dozen) I watched Nash gain the puck at his blue line, look up ice and see a winger wide open on the fly, and then NOT pass but rather carry the puck up himself. Said winger, who hit the Vancouver blueline with speed, now had to circle back quickly to get himself onside while Nash carried in alone against 3 Canucks and lost the puck. Umberger and Carter showed a similar mindset, though not to the same extent.

Also, when Nash went awkwardly into the CBJ end boards on a check in the first period, I thought that was the most defense I have ever seen him play. :roll:
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

CorranHorn wrote:Yah it was a great night for Kesler, but did anybody else see the wide open Booth when Ryan was behind the net? Instead of passing he just skated himself into a corner.

I may be nit-picking, but I'm just curious if others see these sort of things.
I think he just missed him in his peripheral...

but maybe someone else has a thought...

ps: see how this works...:)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Mëds wrote:Nash is a puck hog, so long as he has a free hand to be a one man show the Blue Jacket's are not going anywhere soon. I'm not sure how many times last night (at least half a dozen) I watched Nash gain the puck at his blue line, look up ice and see a winger wide open on the fly, and then NOT pass but rather carry the puck up himself...
Nash played/plays well for Team Canada. I wonder if he'd be less selfish on a better roster? ;)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Puck wrote:
Mëds wrote:Nash is a puck hog, so long as he has a free hand to be a one man show the Blue Jacket's are not going anywhere soon. I'm not sure how many times last night (at least half a dozen) I watched Nash gain the puck at his blue line, look up ice and see a winger wide open on the fly, and then NOT pass but rather carry the puck up himself...
Nash played/plays well for Team Canada. I wonder if he'd be less selfish on a better roster? ;)
That could certainly part of it. Nash is used to being a one man Image.

Generating chemistry with carter may be a reflection on Jeff as much as it is Steve.

Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Raymond practicing with Hodgson and Hansen. Volpatti out.

Sorry Topper, looks like the rookie's earned a bit of credibility with the coach.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Corb wrote:Raymond practicing with Hodgson and Hansen. Volpatti out.

Sorry Topper, looks like the rookie's earned a bit of credibility with the coach.
and the butter has been left on the counter