GDT: Canucks @ Kings, 7:30PST, RSN-Van

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Kings, 7:30PST, RSN-Van

Post by Per »

Mondi wrote:Doughty is a lazy piece of crap.

As is Penner.
The latter should come as no surprise.

"Pennen" is German slang for sleeping, and "Penner" is used sort of like "lazy bum".
"Eh, mach Platz, du Penner!" is what a Berliner may shout at someone blocking his way in traffic.

So Dustin is stuck with a rather unfortunate name. If I were him, I would avoid vacationing in German speaking countries.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
As far as coughing up the puck, Romer plays within his limitations. He won't stickhandle the puck out his own zone like Baltard thinking he's Bobby Orr. He'll just make the safe play by feeding the puck up or just getting the puck deep. If he's on the PP, I think he'll just play it safe by moving the puck to the more skilled guys (like the Sedins). If he's in trouble on the point, I think he'll just dump it deep into the corners or just back off to defend. He'll just keep it simple by trying to keep himself open for a shot if someone finds him. As we have seen the last couple games, he has a cannon. His shot is a threat from the point, whereas Ballard's is not. I guess with Hoff's departure, it's giving others guys like Salo, Edler, Hammer and Romer a chance to showcase their skillz.
Umm didn't I see Rome doing a major dipsey doodle with the puck, bounce it off the twine a couple of times then give it up only to have to take a tripping penalty? Ya, thoughts so,

But I like Rome for what he is paid and what he brings. My new name for him is Aaron "Gunner" Rome. He should have had two tonight. What a horse shit call that was. Fortunately it didn't cost us. But again, what a difference it makes when we play with the lead.

A nice win to guarantee a .500 road trip with a chance to come home 4-2.
The only HW the Canucks need
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hmm... I watched most of the game and don't remember that play, but I'll take your word for it. Overall, I think Rome is a conservative player, so he usually makes the safe plays. I do remember Romeo holding his ground on Penner in the slot, I think Penner got frustrated, knocked him down and took a penalty. Penner is one big boy and not easy to hold of like that.

Hockey Widow wrote: Umm didn't I see Rome doing a major dipsey doodle with the puck, bounce it off the twine a couple of times then give it up only to have to take a tripping penalty? Ya, thoughts so,
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

Luongo stops pucks but gods be damned, he has trouble freezing them.

Jannik Hansen, when on, like he was in the first last night, is one of the most tenacious forecheckers I have ever seen.

Dominant first period by Vancouver and then the Kings started to play more physical without the stupidity.

How long did Doughty think he would get away with the cross checks on Kesler? Dumb. Nice flop by Kesler when enough was enough.

Third period, Vancouver played shut down hockey, but not very well. That still needs some work.

I'm waiting for an opposing penalty killer to gamble on the drop pass entry Vancouver is using on the power play. Too many of those drop passes have been too soft. Someone will gamble and go for a break away. Last season that pass was crisp, this year it is a lame duck.

Booth-Hodgeson-Ebbett, your second unit power play because Higgins played the 5-3. Ouch, I guess that's the depth when Raymond and Burrows are hurt.

Good call on the no goal by the ref. Hansen tried to squeeze between Quick and the defender and there wasn't room. The fact he is or isn't in the crease is moot, read the rule. http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26480

Recall the worry of signing Mitchell coming back from his concussion, looks like he' doing fine.

How many of you beer league'rs are strapping on the inlines and packing wights after work tonight? 400m uphill.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Sorry Topper the waved off goal was a bad call. While a goaltender has every right to the ice even the white ice he doesn't have an absolute right to go there just because he might want to. If the opposition player beats him to that spot they can stand there all they like. Point 1. Point 2 is that Hansen was actually nudged into that position by the D-man. He had no choice as to where to go. Point 3 is that no contact occurred before the puck got to Quick. The save was already blown when contact was made. Hansen did not affect Quick's ability to make the save from thereplays I saw.

I understand why the call was made because it all happens so fast but it wasn't the correct call. Still think that is an easy situation to review.

Oh and Dustin Brown is as bad a diver as any canuck has ever been.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

A few thoughts.

Did the Kings miss the Blackhawks game? That was the worst possible way for them to start a game against the hottest and most dangerous PP in the league.

Teams should keep trying to physically intimidate the Canucks with dumb penalties.

I think we've found the spot-replacement on the right side with the Twins when Burrows is hurt or the line needs a shake-up. Hansen's ability on the forecheck, along the boards, his instincts and passing make him an easy fit with the Twins when he gets comfortable, as it seems he is now. His finish still isn't where it needs to be, but he can damn sure take a regular shift with the top line and help them remain a threat. So much for missing Samuelsson's ability to take some shifts on the top line.

Hamhuis is also replacing another aspect of Samuelsson's game, and that's on the top unit PP. I still think Hamhuis can improve and be more decisive on the point, but I think that'll come the more time he spends there.

I see fans with their usual knee-jerk criticism towards AV for 'trapping it up' in the 3rd period. Keep in mind, the Canucks play again tonight and the Kings were going to throw everything at the Canucks in the 3rd. Instead of running and gunning, the Canucks went into a more defensive posture with shorter shifts to not only protect the lead, but cause turnovers in the neutral zone and hit the Kings on the counter attack. I didn't particularly like the Canucks 3rd period, but I thought it had more to do with the players not being disciplined enough in their positioning and a slight dip in their battle level for stretches

AV isn't just coaching for last night, he's got the big picture in mind. The Canucks need to improve their shut-down game for later in the season, particularly in the playoffs.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Topper wrote: Good call on the no goal by the ref. Hansen tried to squeeze between Quick and the defender and there wasn't room. The fact he is or isn't in the crease is moot, read the rule. http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26480
Have to agree, the contact with the defender was initiated by Hansen driving to the net, and the contact did prevent Quick from being fully prepared to face the shot.

It was one of those plays that could have gone the other way, but the official was well within his right to make that call.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Good game last night. Hansen is looking good with the Sedins, I wonder how Gallagher feels about Hansen now who was absolutely lambasting the whole idea of Hansen playing with the Sedins like the guy is a complete knucklehead when it comes to the skill side of the offensive game. It was a nice win for AV as well cause Gallagher has already started the Lets Fire AV campaign. Gallagher has a weird-on/hate-on for coaches.

The Sedins are amazing

Luongo was shakey/flukey but he managed to pull off the win.

Where is the Doughty we saw in his rookie year? Not seeing the same guy.

I actually think Weise is a worse fighter than Oreskovich. I don't think the guy knows how to fight. That being said, what's the point in even having him on the fourth line?

I know I am going to upset the Booth Loving Apple Cart here but it's becoming clear to me that Booth is pretty much a one dimensional winger. He doesn't have much going on in the lateral/peripheral game along with zero puck handling and play making skills, he's pretty much, bust down the wing with the puck, blinders on hoping that he can bust to the net around the D-man.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
I guess Andrew Ebett is our new Tambellini?
[/quote]

Pretty much
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Strangelove wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: If Crosby doesn't come back soon my pool is officially fucked.
Thirded
Fourthed
Even if he's coming back i don't think he 'll last long...still #1. :mrgreen: :drink:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I'm top 25 with him injured, I'd be eating cookies if he were healthy while holding my head high knowing I did not pick a leaf.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, great to see Willie doing well. I remember this one shift, he was just turning everyone back. I think he got like Higgy, Hank and someone else with his poke check and muscling our guys off the puck.

Topper wrote:Recall the worry of signing Mitchell coming back from his concussion, looks like he' doing fine.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

RoyalDude wrote: It was a nice win for AV as well cause Gallagher has already started the Lets Fire AV campaign. Gallagher has a weird-on/hate-on for coaches.
I don't get Gallagher's hate for AV.

Sure he makes some unorthodox decisions, but the guy has a tremendous track record as Canucks coach. They've started slow this year, but the special teams have been outstanding and it's clear this team is pretty fucking good when it gets going.

Coaching will not prevent this team from winning the cup. He consistently gets the best out of the vast majority of his players. Just look at how many great players have developed under him and risen to great things. Yes, he's been fortunate to have good talent on his teams, but not many coaches are able to create an environment that allows that to happen. It's clear he has the respect of the players even if they may not be all that close with him. It's not an easy thing to command an NHL roster.

When you have a coach that produces like AV has done you just don't let him go. There's no guarantee the next guy you bring in will be able to do the same thing, let alone produce better results.

We're not talking about a team that's severely underachieving. The toughest loss they've had in the playoffs was Boston, and that came in the Stanley Cup finals. It was the only series, that going into it, the Canucks were the clear favorites and ended up losing.
RoyalDude wrote: He doesn't have much going on in the lateral/peripheral game along with zero puck handling and play making skills, he's pretty much, bust down the wing with the puck, blinders on hoping that he can bust to the net around the D-man.
That's a fair assessment of what he's shown so far.

But I still think we need to be patient with Jude. He has more than he's shown so far, and I think it's a matter of confidence since he's only scored 1 goal so far. Like every goal scorer he's streaky, and when he gets going he shows better puck handling skills and moves.

He has a lot more to give, and until we see how much that is, it's too early to write him off.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Judging on the criteria of last night's disallowed goal, 30% of the goals the Blackhawks scored on Lou in the '09 and '10 playoffs shouldn't have counted.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote: Luongo was shakey/flukey but he managed to pull off the win.
RD, I've been on Luongo for his bad play like Doc on Per's politics, and even I have to give him full credit for last night. He never quit on a puck, he made some good saves and he battled hard. He didn't appear shakey, he has simply seemed to have a bit of an issue freezing the puck this year. Credit where credit is due and all that.....