GDT: Nov 4: Canucks v. World Series Champs- 5pm - SNet(Pac)

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Nov 4: Canucks v. World Series Champs- 5pm - SNet(P

Post by Topper »

griz wrote:Topper must have had his heart in his throat watching Cody H on the breakaway.
I was hoping he would score, but according to Spud's advanced statistical analysis, that it was a scoring chance for and when Cody tee'd up the puck off Oshie's backhand to Oshie's forehand that was a scoring chance minus, Hence a statistical wash.

Don't worry folks, even though Oshie scored, Cody was a statistical Switzerland and all is good.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

A Bieksa gets another minus. Giving him a total of 8 of them with 3 points in 10 games.

Interestingly enough:

Hansen is -8/4 points
Booth is -9/3 points
Malholtra is -10/5 points
Ballard is -9/1 point

When you go to NHL.com and you sort league players based on plus/minus, Canucks has 5 players in the bottom 15.

And Sturm is -7/0 points.

That's pretty brutal.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

mathonwy wrote:A Bieksa gets another minus.
That's pretty brutal.

Well, his play specifically has been that. Brutal.

You deserve to be a whipping boy when you serve up passes to the opposition on a platter.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:Cody tee'd up the puck off Oshie's backhand to Oshie's forehand that was a scoring chance minus, Hence a statistical wash.
Yup, Cody and the other 3 guys in front of the net, really mucked up the coverage on that play.

Of course it could be worse, like it was for your man Andrew Ebbett, who was almost entirely responsible for the winning goal.

Not only did he fail to clear the puck, but he lost the board battle and then basically stood there in the corner by himself while the player he was supposed to be covering was left alone in front to score the winning goal.

It would be hard for any one player to be more personally responsible for a goal against then Ebbett was on that play.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BCReefer wrote:Bloody disgusting.

This team spends too much time talking about sleep doctors, iPod on the bikes and not enough what it takes to win. Booth has been a disaster so far, a lot like Ramond but hits more. Edler is either an all star or a no show, what the hell has happened to this team?
I'd take Raymond, his dynamic puck skills and hockey sense and salary over that bum Booth any day.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote:Yup, Cody and the other 3 guys in front of the net, really mucked up the coverage on that play.
The three other guys, didn't knock the puck off Oshie's backhand and place on the tape for a forehand shot.

Spud, here I was trying to embrace your advanced statistics that you claim are so much more relevant and indicative of play on a limited game sample size.

A check of your beloved Corsi numbers this morning lists, in order,

RYANKESLER 25.2
DAVIDBOOTH 21.6
ALEXBURROWS 19.8
DANIELSEDIN 17.7
ANDREWEBBETT 17.2
HENRIKSEDIN 16.6
SAMISALO 13.8
MIKAELSAMUELSSON 12.8
CHRISTOPHERHIGGINS 11.5
DANHAMHUIS 8
CODYHODGSON 6.9
KEVINBIEKSA 6.3

ALEXANDEREDLER 5.2
CHRISTANEV -7.5
ANDREWALBERTS -8.5
ALEXANDERSULZER -13.1
MAXIMLAPIERRE -17.7
JANNIKHANSEN -20.8
KEITHBALLARD -22.5
DALEWEISE -27.9
MANNYMALHOTRA -28.6
AARONVOLPATTI -37.1

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Raymond and dynamic puck skills don't really belong in the same sentence.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:Yup, Cody and the other 3 guys in front of the net, really mucked up the coverage on that play.
The three other guys, didn't knock the puck off Oshie's backhand and place on the tape for a forehand shot.
The other 3 guys should have been able to contain the play given it was a 3 on 3 down low. Cody came in from the point to help with coverage. His intentions were good, his exicution bad.

It is a much smaller mistake the you would have folks think.

It is a WAY smaller mistake then the one made by your boy Ebbett who showed showed about as much defensive poise as a 20 year old Jiri Sleger.

In one sequence Ebbett turned the puck over, lost a battle on the boards and then totally blew his coverage. And thats the guy you want to bench Cody for?

Spud, here I was trying to embrace your advanced statistics that you claim are so much more relevant and indicative of play on a limited game sample size.

A check of your beloved Corsi numbers this morning lists, in order,

RYANKESLER 25.2
DAVIDBOOTH 21.6
ALEXBURROWS 19.8
DANIELSEDIN 17.7
ANDREWEBBETT 17.2
HENRIKSEDIN 16.6
SAMISALO 13.8
MIKAELSAMUELSSON 12.8
CHRISTOPHERHIGGINS 11.5
DANHAMHUIS 8
CODYHODGSON 6.9
KEVINBIEKSA 6.3

ALEXANDEREDLER 5.2
CHRISTANEV -7.5
ANDREWALBERTS -8.5
ALEXANDERSULZER -13.1
MAXIMLAPIERRE -17.7
JANNIKHANSEN -20.8
KEITHBALLARD -22.5
DALEWEISE -27.9
MANNYMALHOTRA -28.6
AARONVOLPATTI -37.1

Not sure what your point here is, Cody looks about mid pack which seems about right.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Benjo wrote:Raymond and dynamic puck skills don't really belong in the same sentence.
Perhaps not "dynamic", but from what I've seen to date Mase's puck handling skills are far above Booth's.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

LoL Spud.

You have gone from rating a player on his performance to rating him based on hocus pocus stats and when those don't work for you, you guess at weather his intentions were honourable.

This is supposed to be a top contending NHL team, and you want to base the line up, not on ability, but on your perceived intentions.

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:LoL Spud.

You have gone from rating a player on his performance to rating him based on hocus pocus stats and when those don't work for you, you guess at weather his intentions were honourable.

This is supposed to be a top contending NHL team, and you want to base the line up, not on ability, but on your perceived intentions.
What are you even talking about?

What does this post have to do with anything.

I guess this is what people do when they have there ass handed to them in a debate, just start posting off topic drivel.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Just simply summarizing your posting history on the issue.

He has been tried on the 1st and second lines, neither places he was able to put up points and neither place did he help his line mates put up points.

Your beloved Corsi number have him sitting within a hair of Kasual Kev.

Now you say he should keep his place because his intentions are good.

Any more straws in the basket for you to draw upon?

Maybe you would also like the one were I pointed out Cody's ineptitude with the Sedins in the third period vs Mini and his demotion to the 4th line. You claimed that was not the way you saw it.

What were the line combos in St Lou before Burrows was injured?

Cody bumped on down the lineup......but that's alright, his intentions were honourable.

He doesn't fit in the lineup. Unless Malhotra sits, there is not a centre spot for him and he has been unable to effectively play the wing.

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Not sure how showing a stat that puts him as an average forward on the team this year helps an argument that he shouldn't be in the lineup.

So to sum up the advanced statistics for Hodgson right now (from behindthenet.ca)

5-on-5 (out of 14 forwards):
10th in quality of competition
9th in quality of team
9th Corsi Rel QOC
5th Corso QOC
6th Corsi Rel QOT
6th Corsi QOT
3rd Goal For/60 min
9th First assists/60
12th second assists/60
8th points/60
5th GF ON
10th GA ON
4th GFON/60
10th GAON/60
etc etc etc etc etc etc

What does it all say? THat Hodgson is a middle of the pack forward on this team so far this year. Offensively he has been above average while defensively he has been average to below average. Given he's a rookie the defensive struggles shouldn't bee too much of a surprise.

NO ONE is arguing that he has been lights out, just that this year he has been good enough to be in the lineup every day. Now if perhaps the others on the team were playing really well at this time and his play was the same as it has been an argument might be made that he shouldn't be in the lineup. Though I suspect his play would look much improved if his linemates were playing better so it may not mean a damn thing. However, the team ISN'T playing well and as such he HAS more than earned his spot in the lineup night in and night out. Clearly AV agrees more closely with Pot-hat than Top-hat as AV is putting Cody out there on 4-on-4 situations when the team needs a goal and he continues to get a regular shift.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:Just simply summarizing your posting history on the issue.

Here is my recollection of the debate so far - To summarize

Pot - "Cody has been pretty good so far this season. He hasn't cemented a spot but he's the best fit for now"

Topper - "No way Cody is a liability he sucks and should be scratched for Andrew Ebbett"

Pot- "Uhhh, no he doesn't suck, and pretty much everyone (fans, media, management, coaches) seems to be ok with his play.

Topper - "I dont care what anyone else says, he sucks. Jason king is a much better player, Cody need to go to Chicago."

Pot - "You are not being objective look at these stats (proceeds to provide a mountain of stats all of which reflect Hodgson playing well)

Topper - "Stats Schmats" Hodgson sucks Ebbett is much better.

Pot - "Ebbett has 2 goals in his last 50 or so NHL games and basically cost us the game with one of the worst defensive plays I have seen this season"

Topper "I dont care, Hodgson Sucks"

Pot - "..."
Last edited by Potatoe1 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Topper wrote: He has been tried on the 1st and second lines, neither places he was able to put up points and neither place did he help his line mates put up points.
A few shifts on the top line is not "trying". And seriously shouldn't it be the veterans helping the rookie put up points (especially when two are Art Ross winners and one is a Selke winner) not the other way around?
Now you say he should keep his place because his intentions are good.
No he should keep his spot in the lineup because when it comes down to it there are several other forwards that have been worse.
Maybe you would also like the one were I pointed out Cody's ineptitude with the Sedins in the third period vs Mini and his demotion to the 4th line. You claimed that was not the way you saw it.
Were not the Sedins also inept? Hodgson also received nearly 7 minutes of icetime in the third. More than Vopatti, Weise, Malhotra, Hansen, Higgins, Booth, Burrows, Kesler,....actually everybody but Henrik. In last nights game he received over 5 minutes of icetime in the third with the canucks trailing (more than Malhotra, Weise, Ebbett...I'm guessing they were the ones demoted).

Plenty of occassions Burrows also looks inept with the Sedins. Or hell perhaps the Sedins were inept (as they were) and not helping a rookie along.