GDT: Nov 3-Canucks @ Wild, 5:00PST SNet-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Nov 3-Canucks @ Wild, 5:00PST SNet-P

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote:At least you are contestant.
Not a contest I have ever wanted to win.

I have always hoped Cody will overcome his short comings, but I still see he has a long way to go.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Potatoe1 wrote:Nope, and that hole looks like a chasm this year.

Alberts is a gong show on the right side and having him play there in a top 4 role is going to be a killer.

Not a fan at all of Hamhuis on the first unit or Burrows on the point with the second unit.

AV needs to figure out a way to get Ballard playing better, having to lean this heavily on Sami Salo is going to blow up on us at some point.
Is Salo injured or was it just a night off?

Like I've said before, one of Ballard, Hamhuis or Edler has to move over to the right side on a permanent basis. Either the coaching staff has to figure this one out or Gillis needs to make a move. We can't have Alberts playing in the top 4, and as much as I love him, we cannot rely on 37 year old Sami Salo for anything. IMO, having Salo in the lineup should be a bonus, not something we expect at this point.

Ballard has seemed to play better with more ice time and more responsibility, which seem to translate into more confidence. Bowness and AV have got to get this guy into the top 4 somehow.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

herb wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:Nope, and that hole looks like a chasm this year.

Alberts is a gong show on the right side and having him play there in a top 4 role is going to be a killer.

Not a fan at all of Hamhuis on the first unit or Burrows on the point with the second unit.

AV needs to figure out a way to get Ballard playing better, having to lean this heavily on Sami Salo is going to blow up on us at some point.
Is Salo injured or was it just a night off?

Like I've said before, one of Ballard, Hamhuis or Edler has to move over to the right side on a permanent basis. Either the coaching staff has to figure this one out or Gillis needs to make a move. We can't have Alberts playing in the top 4, and as much as I love him, we cannot rely on 37 year old Sami Salo for anything. IMO, having Salo in the lineup should be a bonus, not something we expect at this point.

Ballard has seemed to play better with more ice time and more responsibility, which seem to translate into more confidence. Bowness and AV have got to get this guy into the top 4 somehow.
Apparently Sami tweaked his groin (grrrrrr) again. I agree, we need to move one of those guys over and I am beginning to see it looks like Edler.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Salo had some groin pain...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Unfortunately Tanev was not able to step and make one of the old guard lefties expendable.

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:
Wow spell check fail (smile)

I have always hoped Cody will overcome his short comings, but I still see he has a long way to go.
Well if you want to sit out on the island by your self I guess that is your perogotive.

Pretty much everyone else (fans, media, coaches, management), seem to be prety happy about were Cody is at.

In an effort to shake things up and get the second line going, AV swapped Burrows and Silent 3. It worked well for Ryan and David. That line was instantly dangerous offensively. Poor Dan and Hank were hung with an albatross for two shifts. Cody's lone accomplishment was to bump Daniel off the puck and ruin a scoring chance. Cody finished the game, the only place there may be a vacancy for him, fourth line centre.
So that's your story then?

That Cody stunk and was demoted by the coaching staff?

If that's true why then did Cody play almost seven minutes in the 3rd period (second most among forwards)?

Those who don't watch Cody through the shit colored glasses likely saw it as a positive that Cody was moved to the top line, he was after all one of the few players who had a decent game last night.

And the reason he finished the game with 4th liners was because he was being double shifted in place of the dreadfull Malholtra, not because he did anything to get demoted.

Nice try though (smile).
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I'll remain straight and objective and refuse the pink shades.

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

RoyalDude wrote: As per usual, the Wild just love beating us and we just seem to have no push back against these guys the majority of the time.
I'm sure the Wild do love beating us...problem is, the majority of the time we beat them.

Canucks record vs Wild over the past 3 years:

10/11: 4-2
09/10: 4-2
08/09: 5-1
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

KeyserSoze wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: As per usual, the Wild just love beating us and we just seem to have no push back against these guys the majority of the time.
I'm sure the Wild do love beating us...problem is, the majority of the time we beat them.

Sshhhh.

Facts tend to irritate Royaldud.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Topper wrote:
At least you've earned a participation ribbon.

Next year we'll try and get you into the top ten in the sack race.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:I'll remain straight and objective and refuse the pink shades.
LOL, one man alone on an island, swearing that the water is brown and that he is the only one capable of being objective.

BTW I know you are totally ignoring all statistical evidence, (along with all other evidence) when it comes to Hodgson, but basically every one of the new advanced statistics seem to flatter Hodgsons play. CORSI, FENWIK, shot differential, scoring chance differential, GA/60, SA/60, Qualcomp, etc, pick one you like and Cody comes out in the top quarter of the team.

Here is a good summary though the author is certainly seems over zealous in his conclusions.

http://canucksarmy.com/2011/11/2/cody-h ... -way-force
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Topper wrote:I'll remain straight and objective and refuse the pink shades.
LOL, one man alone on an island, swearing that the water is brown and that he is the only one capable of being objective.

BTW I know you are totally ignoring all statistical evidence, (along with all other evidence) when it comes to Hodgson, but basically every one of the new advanced statistics seem to flatter Hodgsons play. CORSI, FENWIK, shot differential, scoring chance differential, GA/60, SA/60, Qualcomp, etc, pick one you like and Cody comes out in the top quarter of the team.

Here is a good summary though the author is certainly seems over zealous in his conclusions.

http://canucksarmy.com/2011/11/2/cody-h ... -way-force
You mean something like your statistical evidence for Edler, 12 points in 12 games. lol, how about 6 points in 10 games followed by a two game burst....

Way too early to be trotting out stats, unless you are a greasy leaves fan.

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote: Way too early to be trotting out stats, unless you are a greasy leaves fan.
I disagree.

It is to early for goal based stats, but shot based or scoring chance based stats become quite accurate very quickly.

The Canucks track scoring chances on a game by game basis for their own internal review. If a guy was on the ice for a pile of chances against, and does nothing to create any chances at the other end, then it's a fairly safe bet they they played a very poor game.

If after 10 games a guy is on the ice for substantially more chances against then his team mates it is fairly reasonable to say that he either sucks balls defensively (e.g. Volpatti) or he is off his game significantly (Malholtra would be a great example).

Goals and assists are obviously far too "luck" driven to pro rate over 13 games, Shots and scoring chances are typically based on a multiple of 8 to 12, so a 13 games sample these stats are significantly more accurate.

But feel free to ignore any and all evidence and continue thinking that Cody Hodgson is a substantially worse player then Jason King.

Cody will most likely continue to get points, while contributing positively to the canucks scoring chance differential.

You of course will most likely just cover your eyes and continue pretending that it's not happening and that you were right all along (smile).
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote:Cody will most likely continue to get points, while contributing positively to the canucks scoring chance differential.
Wow, that is certainly productive and note worthy after 13 games.

lol

dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

KeyserSoze wrote:

That must be why they love it so much.