GDT: Nov. 1; Canucks@ Flames; 6:30 pst on TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Nov. 1; Canucks@ Flames; 6:30 pst on TSN

Post by BladesofSteel »

Nice to see Edler continue to elevate his trade value <Coughs-Weber-coughs>

Solid game from Hodgson tonight. It seems whenever he contributes offensively he gets an extra jump in his step. I liked his back check towards the end that resulted in a finished check on Jerome along the boards. He should draw some confidence after tonights showing. Here's to that line developing some chemistry throughout the current roadie.

Good start.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Much of that game looked like the Canuck's were playing an AHL team on an off night.

The good.....

Hodgson. What a game for him tonight! Stronger on the boards than I've seen so far this year, and I really like the way he thinks out there when he's looking to pass the puck. Loved how he hit Jokinen in the 3rd, laughed at Ollie the Joke when he had words for Hodgson, laughed harder when later that same shift Hodgson hit him again in the Calgary's end.

Lapierre. I'm sure Pot will be on here raving about how Lapierre should not be playing behind Malhotra, and tonight he's right. Lapierre ended up with only 9 more seconds of ice-time than Manny, and Manny, for his part, looked useless tonight. Lost entering the zone, never in the right place, useless at controlling the puck, and not overly strong on the boards. Lap, on the other hand, had a great game, made a crazy pass to Hodgson after working to get the puck and then to keep it. He is playing way above his pay grade and deserves every minute he's getting, actually he deserves more than he's getting.

Edler. Goes without saying, he's turning back into the monster he was towards the end of last year.

Higgins. Can't believe he's our leading scorer right now, but he's earning it. I actually like what he brings on the 3rd line. He's great with Kes, but he really bolsters that 3rd unit. With Higgins part of that trio, I'd love to see what we'd get out of a 3rd line that replaced Manny with Lapierre.

Burrows had a strong game. His effort is always a welcome sight, and his goal was vintage Bur. He's also strong on the PK.

Luongo. Steady and focused, I was only worried once. Still think he's going down a bit early, but he definitely had a bit of his edge back tonight.

The average.....

The Sedins, got it going on the PP, started to stink the joint out with their parade to the box.

Ballard, middle of the pack tonight. No glaring mistakes, no standout plays. Probably just what Vigneault wants out of him.

Kesler. Didn't really notice him tonight, and his line was on for Calgary's only goal.....

The Meh.....

Weiss. Moron. A breakaway chance, a nice pass from the defenseman, and he stops skating. What the FU@#!!! Then he engages Jackman, just skate away dude. Your team is up 5-0, why give the Flames anything to be proud of?

Malhotra. Looked lost at times. No hands. Couldn't really put a pass on the tape for anyone.

Bieksa. Wow. Just wow. The guy is just retarded at times.

Vigneault. This guy pisses me off. Your coaching a team that has struggled to score so far this year. Your offense has been generated by your 3rd line of late. Your goaltender has been beyond shaky and could really use a tick mark in the shutout column. You are routing a team in their own building and after they have been pressuring and attempting a push for something, you get a PP late in the game and an opportunity to put them down and take any remaining life out of them. So you put Hodgson on with a couple of plumbers who don't know their stick for a plunger and couldn't find the back of the net or make a pass against a midget team that is 2-men short with the goalie pulled. Nice work. It makes for a boring and frustrating PP that does nothing but boost the confidence and energy of the other team. It makes Hodgson look worse because his linemates can't receive a pass, can't get open for one, and in general belong in Chicago with the Wolves. To hell with rewarding players with PP time. How does it help them when they get nothing on the man advantage, all it did was expose their incompitence and give Calgary life. Tool. I just hate this guy behind the Canuck's bench. Run up the fucking score and let the team get their swagger back, everyone knows that any other coach in the league would do the same to us.

That's it. My take. My rant. Loved killing burning the Flames in Calgary. Would like to have roasted them for a couple more goals.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

The big difference with Higgins this year compared to his last couple of seasons is the finish. Last year he had zillions of chances but couldn't bury it to save his life. Hope it continues.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

I'm surprised that the Flames managed to get one goal. Anyway, congrats to the Canucks - full marks for their victory.

The D for Calgary is going to lose them a lot of games. The over all defensive game for the Flames is horrible. Lots of give aways, lots of gaffs, lots of errand passes, and they are soft to boot. It's going to be a long season again.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

BCExpat wrote:I'm surprised that the Flames managed to get one goal. Anyway, congrats to the Canucks - full marks for their victory.
Me too. They should have been short handed with an instigator and Sutter getting a $10000 fine.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

The Flames have become more awful than I had ever hoped. They have no answer for a fast fore check other than to cough.

Since Hansen stepped the past two games, Silent 3 is our second worst forward and until the score became meaningless, he was a boat anchor to his line mates. Give him open ice against a plodding disinterested defence and he becomes Ryan Shannon. Stupid defensive play lead to a couple of shift demotion to Mannyville. He could not find his way on the wing and was often crowding his centre.

Fourth line continues to be more effective than the second line.

A good night to pad the PK stats.

Jannik Hansen is alive.

Did I hear the Loooooou, chant after a Roberto save?

Good thing the Flames are going out on the road as the home town crowd is growing hostile.

AV, once again gets to rest his horses late in the game.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Mëds wrote: Edler. Goes without saying, he's turning back into the monster he was towards the end of last year.
he had some nice stats, but i wouldnt say he had a great game outside of those numbers. wiffed on 2 pucks but nothing bad came of it but his blown tire was what allowed the clear pass which lead to the goal in the last minute. Ultimately it was a meaningless goal unless you think Lu needed the shutout.

Not much mention of Hansen? He was a beast on the forecheck and made the heads-up play to spring Higgins for the first goal.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I guess when it comes to Silent G the ole' monocle sees what it wants to see.

"I say Jeeves, does Hodgson suck or what?"

A quick visit to Calpuke reveals that a large portion of the Calgary faithful believe their team lacks heart but still has more than enough talent to make the playoffs. :lol:

Given the gene pool I suppose one out of two ain't bad.

As far as resting players goes... that's obviously a good idea but I don't see how a couple minutes of PP time is going to make or break a road trip for the twins, who are two of the best-conditioned players in the NHL.

We shoulda run it up on 'em.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Rumsfeld wrote: As far as resting players goes... that's obviously a good idea but I don't see how a couple minutes of PP time is going to make or break a road trip for the twins, who are two of the best-conditioned players in the NHL.

My pool agrees with you, but I have zero interest in seeing either get hit by a puck in a meaningless game. Plus it can't hurt to give the 4th line some bonus time.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

dhabums wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: As far as resting players goes... that's obviously a good idea but I don't see how a couple minutes of PP time is going to make or break a road trip for the twins, who are two of the best-conditioned players in the NHL.

My pool agrees with you, but I have zero interest in seeing either get hit by a puck in a meaningless game. Plus it can't hurt to give the 4th line some bonus time.
Yeah but this is AV. Somehow that will convince him that Volpatti is now a 2nd liner that he can trust.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

October is over! :D

Welcome back, Lou! :thumbs:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: The inbreds go home angry. Huff gas in parking lot. Sexually abuse neighbor's livestock.
A pox upon those godless cowplowing ignorami!

Canucks with the blowout win tonight....
Cow pox?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hockey Widow wrote:A win to start the road trip would be nice. The fact that it is a divisional opponent is also important. We owned the division last year and it would be nice to do so again.

Calgary almost always plays us tough so no cake walk. Of course we always seem to get up for them too. I think tonight Kesler shines and Booth gets his first as a Canuck. Higgins leaves em wondering why they never kept him.

Kipper keeps the Flames in the game and keeps the score close. Luongo does not. Despite Kipper out playing Luongo (is he in a contract year) the Canucks will prevail.

So how did I do in my predictions?

Win to start the road trip CHECK
Divisional win CHECK
Tough opponent NOT
Kesler shines NOT but he was good on the PP and PK
Booth scoring NOT but a point
Higgins CHECK
Kipper keeps Flames in the game NOT
Kipper outplays Luongo NOT
Canucks will prevail CHECK

So I was more wrong than right. Damn I hate being wrong :D
The only HW the Canucks need
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:

Since Hansen stepped the past two games, Silent 3 is our second worst forward and until the score became meaningless, he was a boat anchor to his line mates. Give him open ice against a plodding disinterested defence and he becomes Ryan Shannon. Stupid defensive play lead to a couple of shift demotion to Mannyville. He could not find his way on the wing and was often crowding his centre.
:lol:

Tell your wife to stop using your account, she is making you look bad.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Here is my rant. Kipper gives up 5 goals and not one is his fault. Not one could he have played better. All five were due to poor team defence. Now when Luongo gives up 5 goals they are all his fault. Not one is due to poor team play. All five he should have had. Doesn't make sense.

And, he gets a puck with his knob, knocks the stick right out of his hand and he is lucky?? How many times in years past have we seen him almost make that save and have the puck go in?

This double standard crap is just that crap. Kipper let in 5 goals. He was bad.

I guess Luongo and Bieksa have made up. Last year Luongo gave him the cold shoulder most of the year. This year he makes a bone head give away and Luongo is laughing with him at the bench. Wasn't it last game Luongo stared a player down fore giving the puck away? I would have shot Bieksa if I was Luongo. That is a play that just should never happen no matter the score and to me is indicative of the Bad Kev. He has to be better.

OK, rant over.
The only HW the Canucks need