GDT: Oct 29: Canucks host Washington - 7pm - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Oct 29: Canucks host Washington - 7pm - CBC

Post by dhabums »

tantalum wrote:The third was reminiscent of the team last year. They put the hammer down with some goals and Luongo made some key saves. Now he needs to start making them all game.
November started at the 10 minute mark of the 3rd.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Great game to see live. It's amazing how much more fun hockey is to watch when the goalies aren't playing that well and the puck is going in.

-May as well touch on Luongo first. He did not look good through 2 periods. Gave up 4 goals, struggled to freze pucks in his crease, struggled with his glove hand, and just generally looked awkward. In the 3rd however he not only made some big stops but you could see him behind the play banging his stick against the goal posts and showing other body language that is typical of Luongo when he's feeling it. Big positive hopefully it continues against the Flames.

-All the forward lines had fairly good territorial games, lines 1, 2 and 4 in particular. The Sedins are a little off offensively but their defensive coverage was better. The second line worked hard and played all their shifts in the caps zone, but their play still seems scrambley, hopefully that line is close. The 4th line was just fantastic last night, Lappy and Weiss look like 2/3rd of a quality 3rd unit and Volpatti really seems to be coming into his own as a good physical defensive forward. He cants score a lick, but he looks good in his own zone and is the most physical player on the team. The 3rd line did not have a great game until the 3rd when Hansen decided it was time to start playing.

-So if you think Manny Malholtra looks bad on TV, well he's even worse when you watch him live. Looks slow, weak, and awkward. It's just a travesty that he is playing ahead of Lappy in the line up. It's one thing to coddle a star player like Kesler when he is coming back from injury, but a bottom6 player like Manny should not be given special treatment. If he is the 4th worst centre on the team he should be on the 4th line, period.

-Bieksa was just miles better last night. Played head to head with OV the whole night and did an excellent job especially in the 1 on 1 battles. Talking him off the power play was a good call, Bieksa seems much better when he is in a more clearly defined role. Juice seems to be a guy who loses focus during the monotony of the regular season so having him take responsibility for playing against the other teams best will hopefully help to keep him focused on a nightly basis.

-Edler and Hamhuis also reverted back to last years form. Hamhuis moved the puck very well and was almost flawless in his own zone, Edler was just bombing puck and was up in the play all night.

-Unfortunately Ballard looked a lot like last seasons version as well. Made just a horrible, braidead line change on the 4th goal and then failed to make an easy clear in the 3rd. He may be skating and moving the puck better then he did last year, but it's kind of moot if he makes just awful plays and costs the team points. BTW at the end of the second Ballard went out on the ice to talk to Lu about the mistake and was given the silent treatment. Ballard paused for a moment then skated to the boards, broke his stick and went off shaking his head.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

tantalum wrote:At least we know that when booth scores a goal it's because god wanted him to. I've never been of fan Christianity but this no version of god having a specific Plan and everything that happens is because of him really gets on my nerves.
So, basically, the games are fixed?! :eh:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

tantalum wrote:At least we know that when booth scores a goal it's because god wanted him to. I've never been of fan Christianity but this no version of god having a specific Plan and everything that happens is because of him really gets on my nerves.
Mormons teach another philosophy on that whole "God's plan" thing. They believe "If it's meant to be, it's up to me".

I find that a whole lot easier to swallow. When professional althetes thank God for a victory they are essentially saying that God didn't want the other team to win. I can't get my head around that kind of thinking.
2011..... the one that got away.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Post game notes: Injured Canucks defenceman Aaron Rome (hand) and winger Steve Pinizzotto (shoulder) remained out, but are expected to return sometime during the upcoming road trip.

So, I think its safe to say Sulzer will be the odd man out on the blue line, but what about up front? I supposed management could opt to send Pinizzotto down to Chi-town for a conditioning stint, but otherwise, looks like one of Ebbett or Hodgson is sent down. Ebbett must clear waivers.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote: The Sedins are a little off offensively but their defensive coverage was better.
I forgot to mention that. They were even as physical as they get on the back check. Not just waving their sticks, but getting their shoulders in as well.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Too bad O'Brien isn't around anymore to corrupt Booth. :drink:

Does Volpatti need to clear waivers in the way down?
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Mormons teach another philosophy on that whole "God's plan" thing. They believe "If it's meant to be, it's up to me".

I find that a whole lot easier to swallow. When professional althetes thank God for a victory they are essentially saying that God didn't want the other team to win. I can't get my head around that kind of thinking.
I was brought up in the church and that was what I was taught. God provides for infinite options but it's your choices that determine things. Now I know people that honestly think they didn't get a job because it wasn't in gods plan for them. No you didn't get the job because you were 't qualified and had a horrible interview. God, if such a thing exists doesn't give a shit about your interview or career or if your sports team won. At least I would hope he has something better to do.

But enough off topic stuff....go Canucks!!!
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

tantalum wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Mormons teach another philosophy on that whole "God's plan" thing. .... At least I would hope he has something better to do.

But enough off topic stuff....go Canucks!!!

I have been sorely tempted all day long to comment on the religious bend this thread has been taking....I so want to troll for some reactions but I am not gonna do it, i am not gonnaa doooo itt nnnnnnng! :bang:
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

God's will : It doesn't mean not caring about trying.

From what I understand (!) it's just not being attached to outcome. You try hard. If you don't make it - you don't blow your head off. You take what you've learned where possible and move on. At least that's what I think and I am not religious.

As an example, Fedor Emelianenko would accept his defeats as God's will. You can't tell me that way of thinking ever got in his way of trying hard.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Booth seems like a super-nice guy, but the bible thumping bit drops him about 50 points in my mind...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I have been sorely tempted all day long to comment on the religious bend this thread has been taking....I so want to troll for some reactions but I am not gonna do it, i am not gonnaa doooo itt nnnnnnng! :bang:

Thats only because god does not want you to do it.
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:

Thats only because god does not want you to do it.
Brian doesn't like trolling :D
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Potatoe1 wrote: -So if you think Manny Malholtra looks bad on TV, well he's even worse when you watch him live. Looks slow, weak, and awkward. It's just a travesty that he is playing ahead of Lappy in the line up. It's one thing to coddle a star player like Kesler when he is coming back from injury, but a bottom6 player like Manny should not be given special treatment. If he is the 4th worst centre on the team he should be on the 4th line, period.
First of all, Lapierre was on the 3rd line last night while Malhotra was on the 4th line. Secondly, Lapierre got 14:00 of TOI to Malhotra's 12:14. That extra 1:46 was at even strength. So don't go bitching that Manny is getting played ahead of Lapierre when he clearly was not.
-Unfortunately Ballard looked a lot like last seasons version as well. Made just a horrible, braidead line change on the 4th goal and then failed to make an easy clear in the 3rd. He may be skating and moving the puck better then he did last year, but it's kind of moot if he makes just awful plays and costs the team points. BTW at the end of the second Ballard went out on the ice to talk to Lu about the mistake and was given the silent treatment. Ballard paused for a moment then skated to the boards, broke his stick and went off shaking his head.
[/quote]

Ballard did look fairly off at times last night, and you're right about the 4th goal and his line-change, though the puck did turnover unexpectedly as he was coasting into the bench, he just mis-played it at the boards and it got by him. Tough break, at least to his credit he turned and hustled as hard as he could after the puck and player.....although seeing as he was standing still it was all for naught. As for the silent treatment for Luongo, to me that is just one more reason why I don't like Louie. The guy has been absolute shit since game 6 of the SFC and not a single player on the team has said or done anything about/towards him that indicates a cold shoulder or appears to send a message of "get your shit together or you're dead to me". Quite the opposite. Despite the many, many, many, mistakes, and the plethora of bad goals, that Luongo has been on the hook for, the team, to a man, has stood behind him, "pumped his tires", whacked him on the pads, given him a pass as if to say, hey, you make the big $$$, you won a gold medal, feel free to make mistakes til you're in your groove and are ready to bail us out.....it's all at your convenience Lou. Fuck that. Ballard has worked hard to get where he is, and Ballard has had to do it under Vigneault's whip. Luongo has had Vigneault dancing to his tune since he arrived here, has never had to earn his spot, and in the last few years has really not come up with anything when it counted. For him to give Ballard the silent treatment is absolute crap. Especially when he could have made that save if he wasn't dropping so early every time a shooter load up.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I was all jacked happy for the Booth trade until I learned that he is an outspoken Holy, bible-thumpin', Roller. I can't stand religion, it has stunted human growth on this planet and be the main ignitor of all wars this world has seen since the jews invented the damn thing way back when.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau