GDT: Oct 29: Canucks host Washington - 7pm - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT: Oct 29: Canucks host Washington - 7pm - CBC

Post by rats19 »

Well that helped nice to see some smiles....3rd & 4th lines were good tonight and Lou made some key..nice saves
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

The third was reminiscent of the team last year. They put the hammer down with some goals and Luongo made some key saves. Now he needs to start making them all game.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Well, that was a sight for sore eyes; that felt like a real Canucks' game. I like the way the four lines looked, and the D looked more in tune. Luongo was shaky, and while I can't blame him for any of the goals, he did not give the team a big save when they could have used it in the first 40. But still, he played better in the 3rd, and hopefully a win like this will be a good lift for these guys. That 4th line is sweet.

And Lions win, great night!
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I will say that the performance in the third by one Alexander Ovechkin is why the Caps will not win a cup until he grows up. You loses the puck and throw a temper tantrum? Come on man.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Finally.

Right from the start, the team looked more alive than they have at any time so far this year.

The offense was creative, not 2-dimensional. They created off the rush, and they setup and executed after gaining the zone.

The forecheck was outstanding, with multiple turnovers being generated and creating chances.

The team won most of the races for loose pucks and dump-ins. The team won the majority of the battles along the boards. The team was physical from start to finish.

Washington is a fast team, the Canuck's matched them tonight.

Luongo, oh where to start? He started out decent, then after the first goal got really shaky for the rest of the first period and the entire 2nd. He would definitely like that penalty-shot goal back, and I think he would have a way better chance making the save on shots like that 4th goal if he wasn't going down so quickly. Yes, it was a 2-on-1 rush, yes Ballard screwed up and caused it, but the defenseman who was back took the passing lane away and positionally made a potential deke attempt by the puck carrier very difficult. let Luongo worry about nothing but the shot. That's it. That's all the negative I have on Lou tonight. He saved his best for the third, he locked it down and found his focus. The larceny he committed with that glove save with around 10 minutes to go should have Vancouver PD asking questions. I really hope that was the save he needed to make, and I'm going to optimistically say that it just may have been because he looked way more confident and poised after that. It's been a relatively "Lou-less" Rogers Arena for the last several games, they returned by the end of the game, hopefully that fuels his confidence.

Bieksa also had a WAY better game than he has since June. Only one glaring mistake I saw from him tonight, and it didn't burn us.

Good game, entertaining, nice results. That would be a fantastic SFC to watch, end-to-end and fast. Never gonna happen. As good as the Cap's have been this year, they wilt when the pressure is on. We played them hard and they were going to have to earn everything they got. They didn't like it. Ovechkin gets frustrated to easily, to his credit he's one of the few on his team that doesn't seem to give up, but his frustration only hurts his game. Washington may be the hottest team out of the gate this year, and they may have been one of the top 3 teams in the league in the last few years, but they will never be a threat in the playoffs until they lose the Mike Green's and Alex Semin's.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tonight's game is an example of how the Canucks play when they score first and when they have the lead. They are a different team when those things don't happen. They had to score 5 to get the win which is the one downfall but no complaints.

Their defence is better when Hamhuis is paired with bieksa which leaves Ballard again on the third pairing. But it works.

3rd and 4th lines the big difference tonight. Putting Higgins back on the third was a smart move. Now if Kesler and Booth can just get rolling we will be all right.

Interesting after hours interview. A god fearing man that likes to murder animals!
The only HW the Canucks need
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Hockey Widow wrote:Interesting after hours interview. A god fearing man that likes to murder animals!
Sounds like an American.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Yeah, I don't think I heard so many shout-outs to God on HNIC ever. That's probably more mentions than Ned Flanders in a season's worth of Simpsons episodes. I thought he scored a bunch of touchdowns or won some music awards or something.

God made animals so you could hunt them for sport with a bow. I loved how he spared a grizzly because it was undersized. What a gentleman. Too bad for the black bear though.

Thank God he's a good hockey player!
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

BladesofSteel wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Interesting after hours interview. A god fearing man that likes to murder animals!
Sounds like an American.
Sounds like we just found a replacement for Ehrhoff.
2011..... the one that got away.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I missed that part, who was on after hours tonight?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:I missed that part, who was on after hours tonight?

Booth. He is a god fearing red blooded all american hunter.
The only HW the Canucks need
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Mëds wrote:I missed that part, who was on after hours tonight?

Booth. He is a god fearing red blooded all american hunter.
This reality tv god stuff on HD is really weird. I'm definitely not used to it.

David Booth, if you deliver the Stanley Cup to the Canucks, I might have to give your god some props .. and maybe a pound.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Hockey Widow wrote:Tonight's game is an example of how the Canucks play when they score first and when they have the lead. They are a different team when those things don't happen. They had to score 5 to get the win which is the one downfall but no complaints.

Their defence is better when Hamhuis is paired with bieksa which leaves Ballard again on the third pairing. But it works.

3rd and 4th lines the big difference tonight. Putting Higgins back on the third was a smart move. Now if Kesler and Booth can just get rolling we will be all right.
Sounds like the team from last season may be back, the team that would win games in the third period no matter what. 8-)
Any particular god he's afraid of, or just a general theophobia?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

Want to know how good Dan Hamhuis is? Ask Ovie. Yes Ovie had two goals, one while Hamhuis was serving a phantom penalty and another when KB3 decided it was best to take a couple of extra strides to make a hit and take himself out of position and hang his defensive partner out to dry. A phenomenal game by Hamhuis.

AV did a good job of getting the match ups he wanted and dictated to Boudreau.

Our fourth line continues to be more effective than the second line. The second line is not playing as a unit. Silent 3 continues to flail about. Booth's drive to the net, It is what it is, I like it

The western road swing has caught up with the east coast commuters. The Caps looked tired and their defence was exploited because of it. They could not slow down Vancouver's breakouts.

What a shot by Ovie for his PP goal. He out Brent Hulled Juri Kuri.

Luongo awoke from his slumber in the third and found his glove.

Sulzer is steady,and made a few good breakout passes.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

At least we know that when booth scores a goal it's because god wanted him to. I've never been of fan Christianity but this no version of god having a specific Plan and everything that happens is because of him really gets on my nerves.