GDT:Blues@Canucks Oct 26, 2011, 7:00pm, SnetV, 1040

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: GDT:Blues@Canucks Oct 26, 2011, 7:00pm, SnetV, 1040

Post by Rumsfeld »

Topper wrote:The Lady goes Gaga over the camel toe drag.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

First off this is, or has been for several years, a typical October. Last year we found a way to win games that we had no business winning. So far this year we haven't been able to do that. Last year we scored first over 50% of our games. So far this year we haven't found a way to do that. Last year out PP clicked from day one and was always a threat to score. This year we haven't gotten that on track yet. Last year our PK sucked at the start but right now is clicking and doing well. Last year we had a 4th line from hell, all year. This year we at least have a 4th line that is looking good.

Last year, as someone mentioned, we felt destined. We played inspired hockey and had a business like manner all year. So far this year we have been flat. We have put together some good periods and had games were we have had a ton of shots. But no consistency and little urgency. Last year when we played a bad period we had this swagger that said we could win it in the third. So far this year we haven't be able to muster those third period come backs. Last year we stole points and earned ties in regulation, only to lose in OT, but had points to show for it. So far we can't do that.

But this post season hangover was predicted, even warned about. And in all of that we are still having for us an average October.

The defensive pairings are still in the experimental stage. The loss of Ehrhoff has caused AV to have to shuffle. Hamhuis and Bieksa are still the best shut down duo but they need to be spread out. Bieksa and Ballard are interesting to say the least as they both like to rush, at the same time. Edler is inconsistent and to me still has not found his game. Salo remains to be the best of the lot, at least the most consistent. I don't lament the loss of Ehrhoff as I believe we have enough talent that we should be able to overcome it.

Up front we still need to get production from the second line. It will come. We don't have a great 3rd line like I thought we did last year and mostly this is due to Hansen's inconsistent and non urgent play and Malhotra seems to have lost something, although he is still dominant in the F/O. We had a spark plug in Torres that really help the third line form an identity last year. Perhaps Weiss can bring that if given the time to gel there.

I would Move Lappy to third line with Weiss and Hansen. Let Hodgson keep the 4th line with Maholtra on wing and out there for critical draws.

I fully expect the team will find its swagger again. By Christmas they will be in the top 3-4 in the West. It will come. The team is too good to not have it turn around. I also would not be opposed to a shake up of some sort but I don't know what that is really.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote: and Malhotra seems to have lost something, although he is still dominant in the F/O.
Hands down, the most annoying saying on anything regarding the Vancouver Canucks. Who gives a fuck about his F/O numbers. The guy sucks. People everywhere in this city are walking the streets aimlessly while masturbating in public over Malhotra and his F/O ability. Enough already.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

RoyalDude wrote: People everywhere in this city are walking the streets aimlessly while masturbating in public over Malhotra and his F/O ability. Enough already.
For a puck possession team I dont think you can discount the importance of the face-offs.

However I will agree with you that Manny is getting a free ride right now, simply due to his emotional return last season after the eye injury. I think a lot of people forget that he wasn't playing all the well early last year either.

Manny needs to pick up his socks and become the well rounded shutdown centre we anticipated, or he can retire and become the face off coach. Right now he's our 4th line centre.

When and if Raymond comes back a third line of Hansen-Hodgson-Raymond can accomplish everything Manny has contributed. And Lappy is outplaying Manny, so he may be a 4th line winger that takes draws.

There's a long list of issues with this team, but I more than willing to give them a couple months to work things out.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Aaronp18 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: People everywhere in this city are walking the streets aimlessly while masturbating in public over Malhotra and his F/O ability. Enough already.
For a puck possession team I dont think you can discount the importance of the face-offs.

However I will agree with you that Manny is getting a free ride right now, simply due to his emotional return last season after the eye injury. I think a lot of people forget that he wasn't playing all the well early last year either.

Manny needs to pick up his socks and become the well rounded shutdown centre we anticipated, or he can retire and become the face off coach. Right now he's our 4th line centre.

When and if Raymond comes back a third line of Hansen-Hodgson-Raymond can accomplish everything Manny has contributed. And Lappy is outplaying Manny, so he may be a 4th line winger that takes draws.

There's a long list of issues with this team, but I more than willing to give them a couple months to work things out.
Yeah, I think that's a very possible scenario. Hell of an expensive fourth line winger, though.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society