GDT: Canucks@Oilers Oct 25, 2011, 6:30pm, SPac, 1040

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: GDT: Canucks@Oilers Oct 25, 2011, 6:30pm, SPac, 1040

Post by Rayxor »

Benjo wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:
Corb wrote:I am getting really frustrated with Edler.
At least he was crushing kids.

Bieksa is the blue-liner I'm concerned about.
Loved the pinch that caused the 4 on 1 while shorthanded. Typical October Canucks.
Don't forget that for some players this year, its still the equivalent to the preseason. :lol: Unfortunately the games count. :(
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I only saw the highlights as it was Hockey Night in Missouri for me last night...

First goal...highlight package was terrible and showed nothing leading up to it and in fact didn't even show the shot. Seemed to come from far enough out with little traffic. Seemed a saveable shot.

Second goal...clearly Luongo is at fault

Third goal...looked like a full team "effort" on that one.

What concerns me with Luongo right now is that this doesn't seem like his normal being a bit rusty in october (truth told his october numbers aren't usually terrible just middling). Past times when he had beginning of year struggles there was nothing in his demeanor that suggested he wouldn't get back to his game (last year much could be attributed to the changes they were making in his game).

His demeanor and actions on the ice post goal (and during goal) right now look like his struggles against Chicago and Boston in the playoffs. He looks lost, confused and frustrated. That isn't a good thing. I think you have to give Schneider about equal starts right now for Luongo to get his head straight. It also makes Schneider untouchable at this point. Which will limit the trade options Gillis has until Luongo gets his head straight. Even then do they risk not having a more than capable backup come playoff time (assuming the make the playoffs which they will).
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

tantalum wrote: What concerns me with Luongo right now is that this doesn't seem like his normal being a bit rusty in october (truth told his october numbers aren't usually terrible just middling). Past times when he had beginning of year struggles there was nothing in his demeanor that suggested he wouldn't get back to his game (last year much could be attributed to the changes they were making in his game).
Is anyone else wondering if there is more tinkering to his game going on?

Now i know better than to step out to the store in the first intermission. I nearly shit myself when i caught a glimpse of the electronics section of London Drugs and it was already 3-0. Just like my kids, you can't leave them alone for even few minutes without everything going to hell.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

When Luongo was pulled, I was looking for AV to call a time out instead to regroup the troops. Instead the goalie change to waken up the forwards and defenders that there are two aspects to the game. However, the play of Schneider in relief highlighted there are serious issues with the leadership of the team.

A I understand it, while Henrik is the captain, much of the leadership is by committee of the core groups of players. Luongo, Daniel, Kesler, Biesksa, Malhotra, past captain and the associate captains being primary to the leadership committee. For the most part, these players are all stinking the joint out!

Daniel and Henrik have completely forgotten the defensive aspect of the game. They were once two of the better defensive players on the team but now are completely unwilling to back check or take a man inside their own blue line.

Kasual Kevin has not played this Special Ed variety of hockey since he signed his last contract. Someone, anyone, please slash his leg before we witness any more of this.

Manny is not seeing the ice, look at his eyes in interviews, he's fucked up. The only good I can make of it is thinking Pronger may be in the same situation.

Kesler is trying, still rusty, needs to simplify things and having two steady north-south guys on his wings may just do that.

Luongo looks as awkward as a marionette out there in comparison to the fluid moves of Schneider. I'm with HW, let him loosen up opening and closing the bench door for a few games.

It is time for Henrik to stand up, take charge and kick some folks in the balls for their play. And he needs to start with his own scrotum. He and his brother were given a bit of a pass for their ugly defensive play in the SCF because of Henrik's injury, but they have taken up right where they left off. Remember that these were the folks who shut down the Toews line in the first to games of the opening round before Bolland returned to the line up.

I have seen enough of Cody Hodgson. It is time for McT to teach him that his silly OHL dipsy doodles will not work on NHL calibre defenders. You never know, he may even learn to win a puck battle along the boards.

That first goal was like drops of blood in a piranha pool. To a man, Vancouver stood by and watched the feeding frenzy.

What should be the Oile'rs weakness, their slow, immobile defence was never exploited. Once again the fore check did not exist.

The Sedin line managed to completely dominate the Oilers for two shifts in the third. Those shifts bracketed a horrendously ineffective power play.

Booth played as expected for a new player with limited practice with his line mates, Steady, north south. I was impressed with his shot. That quick release in traffic will be an asset.

AV looked as pissed off with his players as I have ever seen him, I am sure several player would have gladly bused it back to Vancouver rather than be on the same plane as the coaches. We will soon see who controls the room.
Last edited by Topper on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
old calamari
CC Veteran

Post by old calamari »

what is up with the second period for this team? you can just feel the melt happen when luongo lets in his softie.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:A few comments;
Manny is not seeing the ice, look at his eyes in interviews, he's fucked up.
:lol:

I shouldn't laugh but you couldn't be more right on this one.

Just look at the guys face on the bench, he has 1 eye open and the other is all stink eyed. He cant possibly be able to see properly out of that thing, it's barely open.

I remember when Ohlund had his eye damaged and you could barely tell. Manny on the other hand just looks fucked up.

I have seen enough of Cody Hodgson. It is time for McT to teach him that his silly OHL dipsy doodles will not work on NHL calibre defenders. You never know, he may even learn to win a puck battle along the boards.
I didn't see any dipsy doodles, but I did see a very nice goal and several other good plays. I dont see why Cody would be sent down when he's been the best player on his line more often then not. He was miles better then Manny and Hansen last night.

He did make a mistake on the first goal, but so did about 5 other players.

Hodgson was crap in the 3 games they played him on the wing, but he's been quite good at centre.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I haven't caught the games recently so I can't speak to Manny's play but it sounds like he's sustained the worst kind of injury in a salary cap environment - he's simply not going to be the player he once was but we can't put him on LTIR or anything like that.

(Obviously from Manny's perspective an eye injury is probably better than a serious concussion or *gasp* a shoulder injury, but I'm talking about the Canucks perspective here.)

I wonder if Mike Gillis can convince Aquilini to hire a $2.5m assistant coach...
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Daniel and Henrik have completely forgotten the defensive aspect of the game. They were once two of the better defensive players on the team but now are completely unwilling to back check or take a man inside their own blue line.
Amen Brother hanging on the line waiting for a pass to try and get a Hart instead of playing with heart..
or forecheck ..might get bumped if they fight for a puck ?
an unimpressiive start to this season.. Luongo , Bieksa adding to the core players shitting the bed.
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

The good news so far is that we've outplayed almost every team we've faced for the majority of the game. The only time that I can remember us being dominated for a prolonged stretch was the second period against the Wings, and we could have tied that game if it weren't for the ping of iron.

The bad news is that we've had brutal lapses in every game except Nashville, horrific goaltending from our starter, and the Sedins, despite putting up good numbers, don't look like the force they were last year. Don't even get me started on Bieksa, it's just absurd that his game can drop off like this.

The "it's early" excuse has officially expired. We're into game 10 here. Time to get our shit together.

Go Canucks go, and what not.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

LOL Topper. When I saw Cody try to camel toe drag the D-man I thought "topper's going to be all over that one" :lol:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I think Hodgson has been good enough to stay. It's not like we have an abundance of performing third-liners whose minutes he's stealing.

He had a bad stretch on the wing, but the games where he's played pivot he's looked decent defensively and dangerous offensively. He's still learning how to play in the NHL, but he's learned a lot already this year.

Considering we have a dearth of bottom-six players who possess offensive talent, he seems like a keeper.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Corb wrote:LOL Topper. When I saw Cody try to camel toe drag the D-man I thought "topper's going to be all over that one" :lol:
Arrrrrrrrrr, yes, that was certainly one to go with all the lost puck battles along the boards.

Spud, his open ice offensive play is not an issue. It is his decision making in one on one situations that horribly lags behind the NHL level.

Raymond had similar issues but was able to use his speed to control the puck or beat defenders, Cody does not have that ability. He continues to try OHL moves on NHL defenders when that is the low percentage play. At this point in his career, a simple chip and chase game would be more beneficial.

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Topper wrote:
Corb wrote:LOL Topper. When I saw Cody try to camel toe drag the D-man I thought "topper's going to be all over that one" :lol:
Arrrrrrrrrr, yes, that was certainly one to go with all the lost puck battles along the boards.

Spud, his open ice offensive play is not an issue. It is his decision making in one on one situations that horribly lags behind the NHL level.

Raymond had similar issues but was able to use his speed to control the puck or beat defenders, Cody does not have that ability. He continues to try OHL moves on NHL defenders when that is the low percentage play. At this point in his career, a simple chip and chase game would be more beneficial.
Yeah, but do you really think Ebbett brings more to the table?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

yes

Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Topper wrote:yes
Does this table of yours include goals?