GDT: Canucks@Oilers Oct 25, 2011, 6:30pm, SPac, 1040

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

GDT: Canucks@Oilers Oct 25, 2011, 6:30pm, SPac, 1040

Post by Topper »

The Dawn of the the David Booth Era.

He awakes. Puts on his Taylor made suite and walks down the Hall. Eats Nugeatine for breakfast. Eagerly mops the floor with Pekham's paws.

Scores ten goals.

Ryan Kesler is awarded both assists on each goal, because his passing is that good!

:mex: 8-) :mex:
Last edited by Topper on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Canucks@Oilers Oct 25, 2011, 6:30pm, SPac, 1040

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Higgins
Malhotra Hodgson Hansen
Volpatti Lapierre Weise

Hammy Edler
Bieksa Ballard (:wow:)
Alberts Salo

If Cody wants to show what he can do in his natural position rather than having to convert to wing, he better make the most of this opportunity because there are guys like LaPierre, Malholtra and to a lesser extent Ebbett that can push him further down the line up and possibly to the AHL. I give him maybe a C for his short audition on the second. He'll have to do better than that to permanently stick on the third.

Which begs the question, would you rather have Cody slowly adapting to the NHL game on the fourth line with a limited role and ice time; or should he continue developing in the AHL playing big minutes and being a go to guy?

btw- Booth isn't sticking with the #10 like everyone expected. He's going with #7. (good thing they unretired it :scowl:) I read that his 16 year old sister plays hockey and thats her number. Awwww....
2011..... the one that got away.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Booth and kesler played through thier teenage years together...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I think a Booth Review may be called for in this situation.

Will the call on the field stand? Was this a good trade? OR, will the referee's verdict be overturned by taking a closer look.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

herb wrote:I think a Booth Review may be called for in this situation.

Will the call on the field stand? Was this a good trade? OR, will the referee's verdict be overturned by taking a closer look.
Had a look over at calpuke, they absolutely hate this trade :lol: :lol:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

ukcanuck wrote:

Then it must be good! 8-)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Per wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:

Then it must be good! 8-)
You should drop by for a visit. Suddenly Flames fans are defending the value of Samuelsson and his worth to the Canucks,
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

dhabums wrote:You should drop by for a visit. Suddenly Flames fans are defending the value of Samuelsson and his worth to the Canucks,
Even better was the guy who claims to watch a lot of Canucks games and believes that while Samuelsson had no offensive ability, he really helped the Canucks defensively.

Ah, Bountiful. Stop embarrassing yourselves and

Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote:

Lemme guess, something to the tune of how the league should have rules in place to prevent teams from dumping aging players with no contract future in exchange for a young player who is locked up and has significant upside? :P

On tonight's game.....

The team's last outing against the Oiler's was a close one, we eked out a win thanks to some good play by a handful of guys and a couple of goals from Sami Salo. The Oiler's junior line looked good and had speed, the rest of their team were passengers. Tonight Eberle/Nugent-Hopkins/Hall are going to be running into a much different team. The Canucks appear to have corrected the problem that had their engine stuck on idle and are getting contributions and solid play from the majority of the lineup.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm excited to see what Booth can bring to the table, though obviously judgements will be reserved for a few games as he settles in.

Apart from Booth (who gets a pass, for the most part, because he's new), there are only two question-marks for me going into this game. Bieksa and Luongo. Juice has been fairly typical of himself in the early-going of a season, his head almost on his shoulders, but for some reason it has to be pushed up through his ass to get there. He usually starts to put it together around the end of October and gets steadily better, and more consistent, as the season progresses. Luongo fits that bill as well, however I am more uncertain when it comes to him these days. The Oiler's scored 2 goals last game on Louie that he should have had fairly easily, the book is out on him and shooters are trying to go upstairs or get him moving laterally and then flipping it over him as he sprawls on his belly. Seriously, if you look at a few clips of him from his Florida days, or from his first 2 seasons in Vancouver, he looks about half the size that he used to. If Luongo has even a decent game tonight and can close the door a few times in the early going, I can't see Edmonton even getting close to being in this one.

I also really like the Ballard/Bieksa pairing. It forces both guys to be more defensively responsible and it gives KB4 a bit of a boost in confidence being moved up to the 2nd pairing. Honestly, I think the safes bet for this team is to pair ballard with Either Salo, Hamhuis, or Edler, as they are usually more defensively responsible than Bieksa (especially of late), though from a coaching perspective maybe this is a good way to kill two birds with one stone and put those two out there and get them to sort out their games during an actual game. Ballard has been pretty good so far this year at jumping in and also about getting back and reading his check positionally. Bieksa has not. This pair is a big risk, but it could really pay off for the Canucks.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Rumsfeld wrote:
dhabums wrote:You should drop by for a visit. Suddenly Flames fans are defending the value of Samuelsson and his worth to the Canucks,
Even better was the guy who claims to watch a lot of Canucks games and believes that while Samuelsson had no offensive ability, he really helped the Canucks defensively.

Ah, Bountiful. Stop embarrassing yourselves and
The thread is too long to read all of it, but my current favourite post:
One important factor about Booth is that he was injury prone before his concussions. He played ~72 games in each of his first 3 pro (AHL and NHL) seasons. His concussion shortened season was his 4th.

If you average out how many games he's played per year it comes out to around 66 games/season. Let's round up to 70 games to factor in for the concussion shortened season potentially being an anomaly. Looking at a cap hit of $4.25m for a guy who's going to give you 70 games played that equates to $4.98m over an 82 game schedule.

Is Booth a $5 million dollar per year player? Not even close, IMO.
Sounds like someone is trying a little TOO hard to make this deal sound bad.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

dhabums wrote:
One important factor about Booth is that he was injury prone before his concussions. He played ~72 games in each of his first 3 pro (AHL and NHL) seasons. His concussion shortened season was his 4th.

If you average out how many games he's played per year it comes out to around 66 games/season. Let's round up to 70 games to factor in for the concussion shortened season potentially being an anomaly. Looking at a cap hit of $4.25m for a guy who's going to give you 70 games played that equates to $4.98m over an 82 game schedule.

Ahh so that's how LTIR works.

:roll:
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Aaronp18 wrote:
dhabums wrote:

Ahh so that's how LTIR works.

:roll:
Imagine if he only plays 1 game? That's like a $400M player!111111!!
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

dhabums wrote: Ah, Bountiful. Stop embarrassing yourselves and

That poster would have to concede that Henrik Sedin is currently worth more money than Crosby.

It's sometimes hard to make sense of the salary cap. It's not hard to make nonsense of it.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote: Bieksa Ballard (:wow:)
Gotta be the other way around bro....
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Sometimes its just hard......
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….