GDT: Oct 22: Canucks host the Wild - 1pm - SPac

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

GDT: Oct 22: Canucks host the Wild - 1pm - SPac

Post by dhabums »

Since the dawn of the internet, I do not recall the Canucks losing when I start a GDT. That said, I really don't keep track of meaningless garbage like that so I could be wrong. Its a stupid early game, I'll be at the Heather probably by noon for a few warm ups drinks, followed by some way too early Roger's garbage. In bed by 8.

I would have stolen something game related from HF, but no GDT yet. You guys are all so smart though, you don't need any numbers.

Canucks win 8-1.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT: Oct 22: Canucks host the Wild - 1pm - SPac

Post by Cornuck »

Early game fits into my schedule today - so I'm not bitching. I'll be switching back and forth between the Canucks and the Cornhuskers, then heading to see the Lincoln Stars tonight.

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Yeah he early game works for me today as well.

Got a game myself tonight so I'd miss most of the 'Nucks if they played late, so I'll catch the full game, head to The Hockey Shop to pick up a new twig and get the skates sharpened and be off to my own game a little later!

It'll be interesting to see Heatley playing for the Wild, I just cannot imagine his game translating well into the Wild system.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Aaronp18 wrote: It'll be interesting to see Heatley playing for the Wild, I just cannot imagine his game translating well into the Wild system.
I'm also interested to watch Heater in a divisional game, but they don't play quite the same system as the old, Lemaire led teams.

Mike Yeo employs a similar system to what he learned as an understudy of Dan Bylsma in Pittsburgh. It's a high-pressure but defensively responsible system that's predicated on a hard north-south game. They're obviously not as aggressive as the Canucks or Pens (when healthy) but they're not as stifling as the old Minnesota team.

In theory, Heatley should be fine in that system and should do well playing with a pass-first centre in Koivu. But then again Heatley struggled playing with a pass-first Jumbo Joe last year, so we'll see where his game and determination is.

I watched the Penguins vs. Wild game a few days ago and I wasn't overly impressed with Heatley's game.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

coco_canuck wrote: I watched the Penguins vs. Wild game a few days ago and I wasn't overly impressed with Heatley's game.
Yeah I guess with a new system he should be able to succeed if the effort is there.

It will be nice to see him play again, can't remember the last time I watched Heatley. Sure as hell wasn't in the Conference Final :wink:

Man I really hope the new system from the Wild is as you described, i'm sure it will take the team some getting used to, but I'm so sick of the way they've played throughout their existence.

Might as well kick the crap out of them while they learn a new way to play!
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Aaronp18 wrote:
It'll be interesting to see Heatley playing for the Wild, I just cannot imagine his game translating well into the Wild system.
He took private power skating lessons in Kelowna this summer, so it will be interesting to see if his skating has improved.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Aaronp18 wrote:
coco_canuck wrote: Man I really hope the new system from the Wild is as you described, i'm sure it will take the team some getting used to, but I'm so sick of the way they've played throughout their existence.
They've been a terrible team to watch in the past and now they don't have the depth to make them fun to watch shift-to-shift, but from what I've seen and read, they don't simply line up the neutral zone with one passive forechecker up front.

The Wild actually haven't been good defensively since Lemaire left, ranking in the bottom third of goals allowed almost each year.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

dhabums wrote: I would have stolen something game related from HF, but no GDT yet. You guys are all so smart though, you don't need any numbers.

Canucks win 8-1.
Yeah but I needed to know what channel it was on. So thanks for that. There is now a one sentence GTD there done by a poster with seven posts to his credit.
2011..... the one that got away.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

dhabums wrote:Since the dawn of the internet, I do not recall the Canucks losing when I start a GDT. That said, I really don't keep track of meaningless garbage like that so I could be wrong. Its a stupid early game, I'll be at the Heather probably by noon for a few warm ups drinks, followed by some way too early Roger's garbage. In bed by 8.

I would have stolen something game related from HF, but no GDT yet. You guys are all so smart though, you don't need any numbers.

Canucks win 8-1.
LOL. You always sound like a cantankerous old man, dhabums. Hope your GDT record is better than your sports action picks.
Aaronp18 wrote:
Got a game myself tonight so I'd miss most of the 'Nucks if they played late, so I'll catch the full game, head to The Hockey Shop to pick up a new twig and get the skates sharpened and be off to my own game a little later!

Hey Aaron, what kind of twig are you getting? Blew $200+ on a Bauer One95 last year. Best stick ever.

Heatley's game won't translate well in any system until he gains some perspective and character.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

There goes my nooner.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Topper wrote:There goes my nooner.
You need over an hour?

Damn, I'd still have time to go for a brisk 58 minute walk.
2011..... the one that got away.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Hank wrote: Hey Aaron, what kind of twig are you getting? Blew $200+ on a Bauer One95 last year. Best stick ever.
Not sure, depends what sticks are on sale and which one has the lie, flex and curve i like. Just broke a 10K and like that a lot.

Won't be spending $200+ though, way too many hacks in men league that slash your stick. Skate you lazy fucks instead of trying to break my damn stick!!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

So is it on nhlchannel? That i dont get..

Blonde moment.....carry on :|
Last edited by rats19 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Hank wrote: Hey Aaron, what kind of twig are you getting? Blew $200+ on a Bauer One95 last year. Best stick ever.
Not sure, depends what sticks are on sale and which one has the lie, flex and curve i like. Just broke a 10K and like that a lot.

Won't be spending $200+ though, way too many hacks in men league that slash your stick. Skate you lazy fucks instead of trying to break my damn stick!!
No kidding eh? Bunch of lazy jerks.

I was playing co-ed and some chick chopped at my prized possession so I unloaded one high and hard at her head. Whoops! Got away from me there lassie.

Go Canucks.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I hate afternoon games.

Anybody else having more trouble than usual getting into the regular season this year?

Don't get me wrong, I'm still following everything, but it almost feels like a formality at this point (at the risk of sounding like a typically spoiled and arrogant Canucks fan ;) ).

It just doesn't seem realistically possible to accomplish anything more than what we accomplished last year. Besides the Wings' 132 point season back in 96(?), I can't remember a team dominating statistically in so many areas the way we did. I guess another top-2 finish and a +100 point season is what we have to be looking forward to... but man, I wish the real hockey started right now.

Hopefully we come to play again today. The Wild definitely have more offensive weapons than the Preds. That said, from the little I've seen of them so far, I suspect they may have abandoned last year's attempt to play actual hockey and have reinstated the Jaques Lemaire rope-a-dope. Or maybe that was just the game against the Coilers.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society