GDT: Oct 18: Canucks vs Rangers - 7:00pm, TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Oct 18: Canucks vs Rangers - 7:00pm, TSN

Post by ClamRussel »

GoalieDad wrote:My first post.
I just had to find some way to vent some steam about our goalie situation. As my handle suggests, I am an "old" goalie, who's learned the "new" way to play so I can help my son in his development. I'm also an original Canucks fan ... I was in Grade 1 when Dale Tallon became my defacto first hockey hero, and I've suffered through EVERYTHING since.
The situation with Luongo is driving me nuts. We've got an abundantly capable Schneider who I'm hoping will get to start at least a couple in a row now.
Anywho, that's my first post. For those who are underwhelmed by it just remember, it's only October. I won't really get in my message-board groove until next month.
Welcome, you're mostly amongst friends here...and we feel your pain.
Schneider should be in line for a start rather soon I'd say.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Per wrote:I wouldn't say stellar, but he was pretty decent; 15-10, four shutouts, 2.56 and .914.
One more win and he would have been the toast of the town.
I wouldn't have brought up the previous two playoffs either if I were trying to Luongopologize. I notice you guys don't like to do that. Unfortunately my memory is not shot to the point that I can't remember them.... something I will try to remedy on the weekend with a nice 18-year whiskey.

It seems to me like the complete and utter duvet-soiling collapse Luongo had down the stretch in 2008 is often omitted from these discussions as well. You remember, the last year we missed the playoffs?

Oh right, right... his wife was preggers. And that never happens to other players.
Not really a relevant comparisson, considering the vast difference in ice time, but his ginger backup had almost identical GAA and SVS%, 2.58 and .915,
Um yeah, let's just leave it at the "not a relevant comparison" part. That was good.
so maybe these numbers reflect the team as much as the goaltenders
Yeah, maybe! Maybe our team just pretty much sucks and all the offensive and defensive records we set last year were a mirage! Maybe it doesn't matter who plays in net because we just suck as a team, despite all the statistical evidence to the contrary!

Or maybe we are an excellent team with a mentally deficient choke artist goaltender, and maybe the majority of questionable goals that Luongo lets in should not be blamed on forwards or defensemen who are usually positionally sound and in between Luongo and the shooter.

And my query about how many games you have seen this year was an honest one, as I remember you mentioning that you missed most playoff and regular season games last year. It just seems like it would be difficult for one to have such a strong opinion on Luongo and the play of the team in front of him if one is chiefly relying on highlight packs for one's information.
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Hank wrote:Can we just end the Sammy point experience already? It's like a beginner driving a stick shift, he's doing just enough with the gas and the clutch to keep from stalling while the passengers are crossing their fingers it doesn't die on a big sloping hill. Who keeps giving him the keys to the Ferrari?
Ha! That sounds like like here in London England, where investment bankers buy Ferraris and then need to take driving lessons because they've never got their license (I kid you not).
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Is it time for the annual players only team meeting yet?
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Hank wrote:Can we just end the Sammy point experience already? It's like a beginner driving a stick shift, he's doing just enough with the gas and the clutch to keep from stalling while the passengers are crossing their fingers it doesn't die on a big sloping hill. Who keeps giving him the keys to the Ferrari?
I'd like to see Sami on the point on the 1st unit PP

The Good: KB-Squared looked good out there together.,
The Bad: Canucks not getting 1 fucking goal off 40 shots
The Ugly: The crowd getting on Luongo on all the goals although, I can really only blame 1 on him completely and another partially.

Oh how fun it is to live in a goalie graveyard city. Only thing I can think of is perhaps Luongo should revisit 2007 and go back to some of that. Someone mentioned to me that it seemed he was overcoached and not doing instead he is over thinking his play.

Ah...I'll blog about that tomorrow.

But I give credit where it's due, Lundqvist was stellar. Best lateral movement in the league bar none. Carey Price and Pekka Rinne perhaps distant seconds.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Can we at least confine ourselves to judging Luongo for what happens in HIS net, not what happens in the other net, 200 feet away, over which he has no control or influence whatsoever?

(Oh, I forgot.... Lou sucks so bad that it makes the rest of the team of highly paid professionals nervous, so they can't score any goals. And that's why we lost. Or something. It's quite reasonable to believe this, apparently, but it's NOT reasonable to point out that maybe the TEAM could pump up LOU's tires by scoring a goal.)
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Per wrote:I wouldn't say stellar, but he was pretty decent; 15-10, four shutouts, 2.56 and .914.
One more win and he would have been the toast of the town.
I wouldn't have brought up the previous two playoffs either if I were trying to Luongopologize. I notice you guys don't like to do that.
2009 I will give you.
2010, as I recall, the Canucks were simply beaten by a stacked team (that went on to win the Stanley Cup if I recall correctly).

It is poor reasoning to define every playoff defeat as a goaltending failure.... every year, there is only one good goaltender in the league?
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hey LB: who do u think is Guts MacTavish: a no name guy? collection of no name guys? or high profile guy (ie - barry mcdonald/don taylor type)?

LotusBlossom wrote: Ah...I'll blog about that tomorrow.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

darren wrote: It is poor reasoning to define every playoff defeat as a goaltending failure.... every year, there is only one good goaltender in the league?
Actually... I seem to recall half way through last season there was some Luongo-basher suggesting that there were no good goaltenders in the league. :hmmm:

Of course, when measured against those standards I can see why just being in the top five in most categories doesn't quite cut it. :?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Hey LB: who do u think is Guts MacTavish: a no name guy? collection of no name guys? or high profile guy (ie - barry mcdonald/don taylor type)?

LotusBlossom wrote: Ah...I'll blog about that tomorrow.
Guts McTavish is a writer for Sun Media and a friend of mine. But he is no Barry McDonald etc. The character of Guts McTavish also writes under the name Devon Swift. :) Hope that helps.

And as far as blogging tomorrow. I've already published my take on the front page.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

LotusBlossom wrote:
The Good: KB-Squared looked good out there together.,
The Bad: Canucks not getting 1 fucking goal off 40 shots
The Ugly: The crowd getting on Luongo on all the goals although, I can really only blame 1 on him completely and another partially.

Oh how fun it is to live in a goalie graveyard city.
yep LB I agree with your observations
I can't see Luongo getting any better with the crowd on his case, if he is emotionally fragile its only going to make a bad situation worse. so is replacing him so early in the season without giving him time to work his way back into top form, what purpose would it serve for the coach to throw him under a bus in October. Burying the guy's contract in the minors or eating salary in a trade would be the last thing the team would want.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Ah, so the guy's name is actually Guts McTavish? I always thought he was a fictional character/sports mascot for the 24 cuz he has a picture of a muppets like doll. I like that picture a lot, but I generally don't pay much attention to what he says. I find him a bit nooby. *LOL*

LotusBlossom wrote: Guts McTavish is a writer for Sun Media and a friend of mine. But he is no Barry McDonald etc. The character of Guts McTavish also writes under the name Devon Swift. :) Hope that helps.

And as far as blogging tomorrow. I've already published my take on the front page.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Ah, so the guy's name is actually Guts McTavish? I always thought he was a fictional character/sports mascot for the 24 cuz he has a picture of a muppets like doll. I like that picture a lot, but I generally don't pay much attention to what he says. I find him a bit nooby. *LOL*

LotusBlossom wrote: Guts McTavish is a writer for Sun Media and a friend of mine. But he is no Barry McDonald etc. The character of Guts McTavish also writes under the name Devon Swift. :) Hope that helps.

Guts McTavish is the puppet character of Devon Swift from Sun Media here in Vancouver. Sorry. He's a puppet character and pen name for Devon.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Ah, so his real name is Devon, but he uses the pseudo/anonymous name of Guts McTavish. Thanx. :lol:

LotusBlossom wrote:Guts McTavish is the puppet character of Devon Swift from Sun Media here in Vancouver. Sorry. He's a puppet character and pen name for Devon.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments:

King Henrik!

Give the Rags credit, they kept Vancouver to a perimeter game and cleared the sight lines for Lundqvist.

Rags second goal - Burrows and Daniel bailed from the zone before the puck was under control leaving the Rags with a two man advantage deep in the Vancouver end.

Rags third goal - With ~8:30 left, trying to battle back in a 2-0 game and a face off deep in the Rags end stranding a tired Rags lineup after an icing call, AV sends out the third line for the face off????? OK, so he was getting his lineup back in order after the DelZotto PP, but it still reeks of a brain fart.

Rags fourth goal - well he'd been silent for the first three.....

Oh yeah, make 'em pay on the PP. While Kesler went to the front of the net on the first couple of man advantages, from then on no one was willing get to the crease to go for the ugly goals. Forwards stayed high and wide while blast after blast came from the point. Some were even on net.

Hotter babes need to be seated behind AV.

Kesler was gassed.

Does everyone remember the let down first game home from a road trip now?

I didn't see one player willing to fight for a puck. Vancouver controlled most of the loose pucks for two periods, then the honey do lists caught up to them in the third and the Rags took control of the loose puck. Neither team took it to the other for puck battles. They just never happened.

Someone give Tortorella a crying towel.

Bell Media - hmmmmm, must have been a Blackberry wine hangover.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.