GDT: Oct 18: Canucks vs Rangers - 7:00pm, TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Oct 18: Canucks vs Rangers - 7:00pm, TSN

Post by Per »

Corb wrote:
Per wrote:Battle of the Vezina candidates, eh?
No.
Wtf? :shock:

It was 0-0 in the second intermission as I got up. Then I have breakfast and it's suddenly 3-0 for the Rangers.

Seriously! :evil:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
CC Veteran

Post by Sticky »

An honest man would tell you that this game is being lost because of a level of incompetence by the skaters... But I'm sure that Luongo will have to bear the cross again.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Sticky wrote:An honest man would tell you that this game is being lost because of a level of incompetence by the skaters... But I'm sure that Luongo will have to bear the cross again.
The canucks looked great in the first 40, Lundquist was just too damn good. Luongo will get heat for not giving his team the big save the way his counterpart did; that will be part of the story. The PP did not come through, but Lou has now coughed up 4 in 20mins...no big saves to pick up his team. His counterpart made them all...yes, the difference is part of the story, for sure.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Sticky wrote:An honest man would tell you that this game is being lost because of a level of incompetence by the skaters... But I'm sure that Luongo will have to bear the cross again.
Meh, sometimes you just don't get the breaks. It's not often you completely dominate a game for 50 minutes and lose.

I'm sure we'll win a few games this season we shouldn't. That's how it goes.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

So Lundqvist is on his game tonight. What a display, and the Canuck's shooters are not getting off great shots when they have a good look, even when they do, Lundqvist closes the door, stops the rebound, and then finds the puck. The Canuck's also have no back door support to speak of on offense.

At the other end.....oh why bother? Nothing to see there, apart from 3 very saveable goals. Seriously, your team is owning the play for 2 periods, and you come out in the 3rd period and let in the first chance they throw at you. Worse still, it's only the 11th shot of the game. How the hell can a team be expected to go balls out on offense when they have to be constantly worried about playing a perfect game defensively or risk being down regardless of SOG and scoring chances?

Obviously this game cannot be laid squarely at Luongo's feet alone, the team has to put up some goals and take the wind out of the Ranger's sails, instead New York is inspired by their goaltender and feeds off of a couple of breaks. This game will be hung on Henrik Lundqvist, what an asshole, stopping everything we throw at him. :P
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Beaten by a hot goaltender... luongo not fragile just broken..
Powerless PP.. looked like a pre season game at times
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I hate losing4..zip when we shudda won 4..zip...ahh being a canuck fan is tough innit? Night all..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

We got a lot of shots from the outside, & when it didn't work, there was no adjustment. Too many personnel/position changes to add in game adjustments as well?

Maybe the Rangers just defended the in close pass too well.

Luongo is going down a lot.
Last edited by sagebrush on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

sagebrush wrote: Luongo is going down a lot
On someone.....

How else is he keeping his job?
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Forget bad goals, forget sloppy coverage... I would be quite interested to see a month-by-month breakdown of how many games Luongo outplays or is outplayed by his goaltending counterpart. That's kind of an important facet of NHL netminding... how often can you raise your game to a higher level than the other guy.

4-0 other guys so far. But hey, it's October -- and Luongopologists know damn well that games in October don't count.
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Lou...poo poo?
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I certainly don't lay the loss at the feet of Luongo, but I was also with the fans during the bronx cheer he got in the 3rd. I've been a Luongo defender for years, and still hold out hopes for him winning us a cup, but the contrast tonight was clearer; one goalie stepping up to save his team the other not doing it. And not just giving up 1, but giving up 4...another implosion.

That Bronx Cheer is, of course, not about tonight, it's about the last three seasons of playoff implosions at the end combined with the fact that we also sit here knowing we've got a guy in ginger hair in a baseball cap sitting on the bench who may well be a better choice for a long term #1...I'd like to see Schneider get way more starts, even a run of them, to see how good he could be. It won't happen, and that is also what's frustrating.
Last edited by Boston Canucker on Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

the Dogsalmon wrote:Lou...poo poo?
:lol:

That's quite the fecal infatuation you've got going on there, DS.

Tell me, do you like scats as well as dogs?
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Boston Canucker wrote:I certainly don't lay the loss at the feet of Luongo, but I was also with the fans during the bronx cheer he got in the 3rd. I've been a Luongo defender for years, and still hold out hopes for him winning us a cup, but the contrast tonight was clearer; one goalie stepping up to save his team the other not doing it. And not just giving up 1, but giving up 4...another implosion.

That Bronx Cheer is, of course, not about tonight, it's about the last three seasons of playoff implosions at the end combined with the fact that we also sit here knowing we've got a guy in ginger hair in a baseball cup sitting on the bench who may well be a better choice for a long term #1...I'd like to see Schneider get way more starts, even a run of them, to see how good he could be. It won't happen, and that is also what's frustrating.
I agree that the Canucks should let Schneider get a few more starts in October. Unfortunately, AV simply will not let it happen... :evil:

BTW, what would the score be if both teams swapped the goalies?? It might be 10-0... :hmmm:
Last edited by Jovocop on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Rumsfeld wrote: 4-0 other guys so far. But hey, it's October -- and Luongopologists know damn well that games in October don't count.
Nor do elimination games.