GDT: Oct 10 - Canucks @ Columbus - 4pm - SNET-P(HD) RADIO: 1

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Re: GDT: Oct 10 - Canucks @ Columbus - 4pm - SNET-P(HD) RADI

Postby Strangelove » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Southern_Canuck wrote:Hodgson with a career high 14:30, I think

Actually he had 16 minutes in Game One.

Southern_Canuck wrote:Higgins... bobbled the puck on a zone clear that led to Columbus' first goal.

That's what everyone keeps saying, but i could've sworn he got the puck to Ballard, who failed to get the puck out???
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:44 pm

dhabums wrote:Bieksa goes out of his way to throw a hit and we get scored on.

He was going after Nash, I figured he was trying to dish out a little payback for the Sedin hit.

Didn't work out too well, but hey this team is kinda new at payback. :lol:

Still, Ginger definitely should've had that covered. Bad goal!
Last edited by Strangelove on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 pm

Burrows was great tonight, Hodgson & Manny were better.

Wingers Sturm & Samuelsson, Volpatti & Weise crappy. Again.

Second not-so-stellar game in a row for young Tanev.

Schneids looked shaky.

Hamhuis with another great game.

Salo with another solid game.

Higgins with another solid game.

Everyone else was very meh I thought.

Good thing we were playing a crap team tonight!

I’ve been saying since June the book on Canucks is to take shots at their stars.

Henrik is not likely to keep his ironman streak going all season with this kind of abuse.

This team will get PUNISHED on Wednesday in Philly.
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Jovocop » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 pm

rats19 wrote:Lappy and higgins and sturm need to pick it up.....they wi

Volpati....

Both Lappy and Higgins have been pretty good so far. Sturm and Samuelsson need to pick up their games. As for Volpatti, can anyone explain why he is still with the team?? He could not score, make plays, nor hitting. The worst of all, he did not fight when Henrik was hit from behind... I am not sure whether AV has a leash on Weise and Volpatti or not. If that is the case, why can't the Canucks get some actually players then...??? :evil:
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dbr » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:17 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:Higgins... bobbled the puck on a zone clear that led to Columbus' first goal.

That's what everyone keeps saying, but i could've sworn he got the puck to Ballard, who failed to get the puck out???

Nope. Can you imagine S_C not just overlooking an error by Keith freaking Ballard leading to a goal, but blaming another Canuck for the breakdown? :D

If you check the replay Higgins comes out of a scrum in the corner with the puck and tries to move it to Hansen at the top of the circle but its blocked by a BJ forward. Higgins recovers the puck again and moves towards the middle of the ice before being checked; Malhotra skates onto it and knocks it back to the halfboards where Derek MacKenzie moves it across to Atkinson.

Ballard was coming out from the corner (he was also in the initial scrum) and didn't arrive in time to block either the pass to Atkinson or his shot.. Matt Calvert was also heading to the net and Ballard was the lone Canuck so he couldn't really commit to either forward without leaving the other one wide open.

A better hockey mind than mine might be able to say which Canuck wears the goat horns on that play but IMO it was just solid forechecking, a good pass and a well-placed shot to take advantage of some not-stellar defensive play by the Canucks.
Last edited by dbr on Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dhabums » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:27 pm

Strangelove wrote:Wingers Sturm & Samuelsson, Volpatti & Weise crappy. Again.

Why the Weise hate? He got in on the forecheck, threw some hits and generally was fine. He certainly looks more interested in the game than Oreo did.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ClamRussel » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:29 pm

Strangelove wrote:

Go look at the replays, Ballard doesn't even touch the puck so no idea where you got that from. Higgins gave the puck away TWICE then it bounced off Malhotra....Tanev went in to the corner & Ballard followed him towards that side in support....so some blame could be given to Ballard's poor choice to leave the front of the net however there was no support from Manny either...total breakdown but the blame has to go to Higgins for not clearing the zone twice leading to the confusion.

So how long until Ballard gets a *chance* on the PP?!? I mean this is a tad ridiculous, Samuelsson sucks back there. I know every now & then he does something good but is it worth the risk of having a winger on the point? His nickname in Detroit was Shins for the amount of shots he takes that go off shinpads. Watch closely, he takes alot of shots but how many actually get through? Ballard has all the tools to deliver some offence for us w/ the man advantage, he's done it before and has the patience which is essential. Methinx he's been pidgeonholed by AV.

I'd go Edler-Bieksa on the 1st unit and Ballard-Salo on the 2nd.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Postby dbr » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:36 pm

ClamRussel wrote:So how long until Ballard gets a *chance* on the PP?!? I mean this is a tad ridiculous, Samuelsson sucks back there. I know every now & then he does something good but is it worth the risk of having a winger on the point? His nickname in Detroit was Shins for the amount of shots he takes that go off shinpads. Watch closely, he takes alot of shots but how many actually get through? Ballard has all the tools to deliver some offence for us w/ the man advantage, he's done it before and has the patience which is essential. Methinx he's been pidgeonholed by AV.

I feel like the coaching staff view their defenders with a similar amount of depth and sophistication as a video game like Blades of Steel, except instead of skinny guy, medium guy and fat guy they have right-shooting guy and left-shooting guy to choose from on the points.

I don't think left-shooting guy is going to displace right-shooting guy on the point but he might usurp one of the other left-shooting guys. Unfortunately for Keith Ballard, Edler is a mainstay on the powerplay for good reason and Dan Hamhuis helped make the second unit reasonably dangerous tonight.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Aaronp18 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:41 pm

dbr wrote:I feel like the coaching staff view their defenders with a similar amount of depth and sophistication as a video game like Blades of Steel, except instead of skinny guy, medium guy and fat guy they have right-shooting guy and left-shooting guy to choose from on the points.

That'd be Ice Hockey, not Blades of Steel.

:wink:
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ClamRussel » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:48 pm

dbr wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:So how long until Ballard gets a *chance* on the PP?!? I mean this is a tad ridiculous, Samuelsson sucks back there. I know every now & then he does something good but is it worth the risk of having a winger on the point? His nickname in Detroit was Shins for the amount of shots he takes that go off shinpads. Watch closely, he takes alot of shots but how many actually get through? Ballard has all the tools to deliver some offence for us w/ the man advantage, he's done it before and has the patience which is essential. Methinx he's been pidgeonholed by AV.

I feel like the coaching staff view their defenders with a similar amount of depth and sophistication as a video game like Blades of Steel, except instead of skinny guy, medium guy and fat guy they have right-shooting guy and left-shooting guy to choose from on the points.

I don't think left-shooting guy is going to displace right-shooting guy on the point but he might usurp one of the other left-shooting guys. Unfortunately for Keith Ballard, Edler is a mainstay on the powerplay for good reason and Dan Hamhuis helped make the second unit reasonably dangerous tonight.

True, but I could never figure out why last year they went w/ 2 left shooting guys on one unit and 2 right hand shots on the other. Huh? I always liked how Calgary went w/ MacInnis & Suter and Chicago had Chelios & Smith....opposite shooters playing their off-side so they were both open to the one-timer from each other. Hard to argue w/ the results. I remember that pair in Chicago inching their way in towards the goal, passing back & forth until they opened the wingers up & then unloading canons. The results were there. Its always awkward w/ two the same hand imo.

Bieksa has more offense in him than Samuelsson imo and only gets spot duty on the PP it seems. Obviously Salo is the other RH shot. I'd give Ballard a shot over Hamhuis, no offence to Dan but I see Ballard as a better skater & outlet passer. Both probably shoot about the same, Hamhuis being the better guy in his own end no doubt....but the PP should technically be spent primarily in the other end of the rink.
-Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Postby Hank » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:49 pm

Hey Clam, I think Doc was just casting some bait into the water and hoping for a nibble... as soon as KB4 loses an edge I'm sure we'll all hear about it.

As for the PP, most everyone will agree, including the media, that Sammy on the point is not the best option. However, a sulking Sammy on the 3rd or 4th lines is an even worse option, so he gets his offensive role even if he doesn't deserve it based on the Vigneault school of "earning your ice-time".

Hmmm... Ballard gets 13 minutes in game 2. Is this a pre-cursor to trust issues when Rome is once again healthy? I certainly hope not.
Hank
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby ClamRussel » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:59 pm

I don't mind Samuelsson on the PP at all, just not the point. I reckon AV used him there because he didn't know where else to put him. Why not w/ Hodgson on the 2nd unit? He's still got a good shot & hockey sense (even if he's looking mighty lost out there so far). I don't get Sturm at all, I questioned that signing form the get go. Made no sense then & makes no sense now. His wheels are done, 2 knee operations will do that.
-Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Postby dhabums » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:52 pm

dbr wrote:Nope. Can you imagine S_C not just overlooking an error by Keith freaking Ballard leading to a goal, but blaming another Canuck for the breakdown? :D

Maybe it's the wrong thread, but I blamed Grabner, Bernier and future NHL star Howden.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby LotusBlossom » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:12 pm

ClamRussel wrote:I don't mind Samuelsson on the PP at all, just not the point. I reckon AV used him there because he didn't know where else to put him. Why not w/ Hodgson on the 2nd unit? He's still got a good shot & hockey sense (even if he's looking mighty lost out there so far). I don't get Sturm at all, I questioned that signing form the get go. Made no sense then & makes no sense now. His wheels are done, 2 knee operations will do that.

THIS.

I'd rather see Ballard or Hammer on the point.
Didn't you know?I'm Front Page news! ;)
LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Southern_Canuck » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:49 am

dbr wrote:Can you imagine S_C not just overlooking an error by Keith freaking Ballard leading to a goal, but blaming another Canuck for the breakdown? :D

I thought Ballard had his best game as a Canuck in this game. Even though he scored a goal in the Pittsburgh game, I thought he played very poorly - many posters commented on how great he was at "breakout passes", however his only completed passes were ping-pong to Tanev, or passes to the other team. He made several glaringly bad decisions to pinch in that game.

Ballard is a great skater, and he can carry the puck out of his own zone, but I think it's easy to see why he can't crack the Canucks powerplay - he doesn't have the vision of a Hamhuis, Salo, or even Bieksa, and he has difficulty getting his shot through.

In this game, Ballard still made some poor decisions to pinch, however he made some good passes through the neutral zone. I know he only received 13 minutes, but I am comfortable that he could step up and play more minutes if Hamhuis or Edler gets injured this season.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Game Day Forum