GDT: Oct 6 - Canucks host Penguins - 7pm - CBC, Versus HD

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Oct 6 - Canucks host Penguins - 7pm - CBC, Versus H

Post by LotusBlossom »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I don't follow Pitts very much, but I'm pretty sure Fleury doesn't have the track record like Luongo of giving up bad goals from behind the net. U know what I think it is? I think Lou's equipment and pads are too big, so when he's standing, players just shoot it @ down low around his skates, he loses sight of the puck and his equipment makes him a bit clumsy so the puck usually trickles in. :P

Anways, if Lou is going to have a slow start again, I wouldn't mind giving Schnieds a few games in Oct. to see if he's more sharp till Lou is awake and gets his game going.

ClamRussel wrote:Ya well so did Fleury so whats your point? Give him the usual month then lets see where he's at. The whole team minus Higgins was fairly weak for the first half of the game.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to get Schneids in for a couple of games on this road trip. Why not? The kid is the straight goods. Not sure either if Fleury has the rep, but every goalie let's in bad goals. I just find Luongo is way more focused upon for whatever reason.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Clearly its going to be a looong season for poor ol Roberto, every bad goal is going to hang on him like one huge albatross:

"Ah ! well a-day ! what evil looks
Had I from old and young !
Instead of the cross, the Albatross
About my neck was hung."

The Rime of the Ancient goaltender
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Arachnid wrote: Lovejoy :lol: Jeez, you watched that? I thought I was the only PBS TVO dude on here :eh:
Seen an episode or two back in the day. We get a lot of British TV here.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I don't follow Pitts very much, but I'm pretty sure Fleury doesn't have the track record like Luongo of giving up bad goals from behind the net. U know what I think it is? I think Lou's equipment and pads are too big, so when he's standing, players just shoot it @ down low around his skates, he loses sight of the puck and his equipment makes him a bit clumsy so the puck usually trickles in. :P

Anways, if Lou is going to have a slow start again, I wouldn't mind giving Schnieds a few games in Oct. to see if he's more sharp till Lou is awake and gets his game going.

ClamRussel wrote:Ya well so did Fleury so whats your point? Give him the usual month then lets see where he's at. The whole team minus Higgins was fairly weak for the first half of the game.
Fair enough, I've often thought the same thing. If you see footage of his first year here (when he was absolutely spectacular) he looks a bit leaner, the gear was definitely smaller. Would be worth a shot imo. He seemed way more mobile but that was also before his injuries.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

In general i wanna be better for my team mates....lu post game..

I was worried...now not so much :sly:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Lou standing? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know they all do it, but god I hate the butterfly. I can see when the puck is in close and players wont be able to get it up high but man this going down on every shot taken from the point gets on my effin' nerves.
2011..... the one that got away.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

For a guy who most people feel just needs to "prove himself in the playoffs" Luongo sure taking a lot of heat after one regular season game. Some people need to take a deep breath...it's a long season.

It is still beyond me why Sammy is playing the point on the PP when you have Salo, Edler, Hamhuis, and Bieksa available.
Corb wrote:Sooooo, what's everyone rolling with tonight?
LOL Corb with 4 GDT posts, all of which were about / in reply to drinking...nice :D
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Some comments:

- Not too much to get upset or excited about in this one. Lotta rust on the vets who are basically playing their pre season games now.

- Ya Lou let in a couple soft ones, see above.

- As others have said, Higgins especially, but Lappy too, look happy to have found a home and want to stay.

- Speaking of hands, Burr had a goodly number of chances that didn't connect.

- So Dude is Ballard off your whipping boy list?

- Clam I agree, Ballard is probably the best outlet passer on the back end. That will stir Pot's ashes.

-Manny has said the game is really "fast" for him at the moment. Considering the seriousness of his injury I think a little time and patience is in order.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Caught Shorthouse calling the game on XM.

A few comments:

Dank wants it.

Our 4th line is more effective than our 2nd line.

Ballard, the good, the bad and the ugly.

4 minutes left in a 3-3 game, faceoff in the Pens end, AV has the second line out for the draw, and Silent three is the only centre out there?????? Fortunately Sturm won the draw vs Malkin after silent three was waived from the circle.

Roberto Luongo will never be mistaken for Reggie Jackson

Oooooooooooooh, the cookie monster.

Stanley Park Amber has all the flavour of US bought Coors Lite
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Felt like 2 games last night. Canucks came out totally flat and looked tentative in the first but by the 3rd they had almost totally taken over the game. After that 3rd period I'm not sure how anyone can be worried about this team scoring they probably had a dozen or so chances in the last 20, Pitt was fortunate to get it into OT.

-Sedins were far and away the best players in the game and totally dominated late against a good defensive club. Given their durability I dont really see the Twins outside of the top5 again this year.

-Worst Canuck on the ice was unfortunately Luongo, Not sure why anyone expected otherwise given he always sucks in October. Only thing we can do is play him a ton and let him get in his grove.

-2nd line stunk, and as has been noted, really needs a better skating forward (i.e. Higgens or Hansen). Hodgson looked very slow and tentative early but seemed to improve as the game went on. Would have been cool to see him get the winner on that shot late, but oh well. Sammy had a tough night at even strength but I thought he was fine on the power play, he did a good job in that spot last season and is still the best bet to replace Hoff. Sturm looks very "meh" is see him dropping down the line up as we start getting healthier.

-3rd line looked good, Higgens was the best forward not named Sedin. Hansen was fine but still makes some "odd" decisions on offence. Malholtra is the concern at the moment. He looks quite tentative and softer then he did before his eye injury, I hope he can pick it up.

-Lappy carried the 4th line and based on his current play should probably swap with Malholtra. Weiss was a bit disappointing, I expected him to come out like a ball of fire in his first game but he looked tentative. Volpatti worked hard but seemed a bit lost at times.

-On the blue line Ballard was the stand out but still only played 16 min. He did pick up a couple extra shifts with Edler in the 3rd but given the current rotations and special teams assignments it does not seems like Ballard will be playing much more then he did last season. Bieksa on the other hand really seemed to struggle (especially early) but still ended up over 25 min, why is he on the power play after his terrible performance there last year? The other stand out for me was Salo who is looking better then he did last year. If he plays 40 or more games then that 2 mill is a steal.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Topper wrote: Our 4th line is more effective than our 2nd line.
Just as you said it would be a few days ago; and as it will continue to be until Kesler and to a lesser extent Raymond gets back.

Based on last nights game I'd do this:

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Hodgson Hansen
Sturm LaPierre Samuelson
Weise Maholtra Volpatti
2011..... the one that got away.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote: Stanley Park Amber has all the flavour of US bought Coors Lite

Does it matter?

I have never had a draft of any type at GM place that didn't taste like bitter horse piss. It doesn't matter what type you put through those filthy nasty pipes.

I normally don't drink at games anymore but when I do it comes out of a bottle.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Higgins was sure playing like he wanted to be in the top 6, so my guess for next game is that everything stays the same as it was vs the Pens except maybe Higgins moving up to the 2nd line and Sturm moving down to the 3rd.

And I agree, Stanley Park Amber (as much as I wanted to like it because it just sounds so good and local, and from what I understand is a very sustainable brewery) is not very good at all.
BCReefer
CC Veteran

Post by BCReefer »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Lou standing? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know they all do it, but god I hate the butterfly. I can see when the puck is in close and players wont be able to get it up high but man this going down on every shot taken from the point gets on my effin' nerves.
sorry Eddy your wrong, it is not every shot from the point it is every freaking shot period.

The guy is always down, I said last season he has become mechanical, only uses his big body as the main reason to stop the puck and we know how that has turned out in the past. He needs to read the play better and then he will become the elite player we want him to be.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

BCReefer wrote:

The guy is always down, I said last season he has become mechanical, only uses his big body as the main reason to stop the puck and we know how that has turned out in the past. He needs to read the play better and then he will become the elite player we want him to be.

Oh good grief.

He is an elite player, he's just had a few melt downs at bad times.

Lu will be fine.

Just like every season of his career it will take him some games to get in a grove and then he will give up elite level goal tending for the rest of the regular season.