GDT: Oct 6 - Canucks host Penguins - 7pm - CBC, Versus HD

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Oct 6 - Canucks host Penguins - 7pm - CBC, Versus H

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

BCReefer wrote:sorry Eddy your wrong, it is not every shot from the point it is every freaking shot period.
I STAND corrected. :mrgreen:
---------------------

I was a little disappointed we didn't get to see Hodgson in the shootout last night. I would have put him at least second.

I was also a little disappointed lever didn't show up last night. I figured if he was going to come back to the dark side, game one would have been it.

And lastly... Cooke is on pace for 164 goals. :shock:
2011..... the one that got away.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote: Lu will be fine.
Few recall his Nov-Feb stint last season.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BCReefer
CC Veteran

Post by BCReefer »

Topper wrote:
Who gives a shit about his Nov - Feb stint? At his paycheque he better be in the top 5 of each major stat for goalies.

I only care what he does in the playoffs and he only reinforced his ability to have melt downs in big games. At the same time he has also proven to be rock solid as well, I think fans would like to see more of a consistency when it matters the most.

He is a good goalie, elite status is for the best of the best and he has not fully proven it yet. What I hope would happen is that AV will manage him better between bad/quick goals, don’t leave him in the net like last year, that does nothing for his confidence.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

^^ yanking him out after 2 goals doesn't help his confidence either

What you see is what you get. With all his warts he's still the best we've ever had.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

BCReefer wrote:
Topper wrote:
Who gives a shit about his Nov - Feb stint? At his paycheque he better be in the top 5 of each major stat for goalies.
Seems you do or your wouldn't be bitching about his performance during a game in October.

Luongo always sucks in October, but from November through April he's almost always one of the 2 or 3 best goalies in the game.

I don't see why this year will be any different.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Topper wrote:Caught Shorthouse calling the game on XM.

A few comments:

Dank wants it.
Yeah he looked good later on in the game for sure. I'll be honest, I missed the entire second period watching the Yankees/Tigers game on the TVs in the hospitality suite. Not saying I am not a big Canucks fan, but it's baseball playoffs, and I love baseball...so yeah. Forgive me.
Our 4th line is more effective than our 2nd line.
Sad to say but true. Time to shuffle AV!
Ballard, the good, the bad and the ugly.
Didn't see the ugly or the 'bad' but I also didn't watch the 2nd period

Roberto Luongo will never be mistaken for Reggie Jackson
:lol: Yeah, his notoriously slow starts are getting everyone on his case in Canuckland.
Oooooooooooooh, the cookie monster.
Love him or hate him, he had a good (and lucky) game. A little nostalgic for some of us.
Stanley Park Amber has all the flavour of US bought Coors Lite
Your choices are Bud or SP Amber? What would you choose?

I drank wine and bourbon. Wasn't feeling much of the beer last night. In fact, I drank 4 bottles of water instead 2 glasses of bourbon n 1 glass of wine. The bottled water was free, and for some reason (probably the baseball game) I had a lot of nervous energy last night and wanted to quench.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

LotusBlossom wrote: I'll be honest, I missed the entire second period watching the Yankees/Tigers game on the TVs in the hospitality suite. Not saying I am not a big Canucks fan, but it's baseball playoffs, and I love baseball...so yeah. Forgive me.
Skipping hockey to watch middle aged men in pajamas playing stickball?! :shock:
Unforgivable! :mad:
LotusBlossom wrote: I drank wine and bourbon. Wasn't feeling much of the beer last night. In fact, I drank 4 bottles of water instead 2 glasses of bourbon n 1 glass of wine. The bottled water was free, and for some reason (probably the baseball game) I had a lot of nervous energy last night and wanted to quench.
OK, I'll cut you some slack; we'll blame the bourbon.
We all do stupid things when we drink. :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

BCReefer wrote: Who gives a shit about his Nov - Feb stint? At his paycheque he better be in the top 5 of each major stat for goalies.

I only care what he does in the playoffs and he only reinforced his ability to have melt downs in big games. At the same time he has also proven to be rock solid as well, I think fans would like to see more of a consistency when it matters the most.
Potatoe1 wrote: Seems you do or your wouldn't be bitching about his performance during a game in October.
Agree.

And technically speaking Reef, at his cap hit, he only needs to be in the top 8 of every major stat for goalies :roll:
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

I agree with Reef to an extent. Luongo is over-rated. Furthermore I get the impression that other players like playing against him. Is he good enough with it all with? Probably, if he keeps the meltdowns to a minimum.

Team Canada WAS stacked Roberto, get over it.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Two points in October are as good as two points in March. If Luongo is going to lose us the points because hey, wink, wink, we all KNOW he is gonna be slow to start the season, but hey, he's Luongo. What a pile of horsepoop. If Lu is stinking the joint out, put in Schneider. If he is too fragile for that then move him. My goodness 10 million bucks and he can't stop a beachball in October!! Okay then don't play him until November.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Per wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote: I'll be honest, I missed the entire second period watching the Yankees/Tigers game on the TVs in the hospitality suite. Not saying I am not a big Canucks fan, but it's baseball playoffs, and I love baseball...so yeah. Forgive me.
Skipping hockey to watch middle aged men in pajamas playing stickball?! :shock:
Unforgivable! :mad:
LotusBlossom wrote: I drank wine and bourbon. Wasn't feeling much of the beer last night. In fact, I drank 4 bottles of water instead 2 glasses of bourbon n 1 glass of wine. The bottled water was free, and for some reason (probably the baseball game) I had a lot of nervous energy last night and wanted to quench.
OK, I'll cut you some slack; we'll blame the bourbon.
We all do stupid things when we drink. :drink:
LOL the description of baseball uniforms. Ah, sorry Per, I'm a big baseball fan, therefore, I watch. Not that game kicking around a ball with your feet is something I have a harder time getting into...but that's me. I'd like to see a duel at the plate. Pitcher vs Batter.

Only had 2 double tall bourbons n coke and a glass of wine. Maybe I take for granted I am at most hockey games at home because I own seasons tickets. lol

:P
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Canuck-One wrote:Two points in October are as good as two points in March. If Luongo is going to lose us the points because hey, wink, wink, we all KNOW he is gonna be slow to start the season, but hey, he's Luongo. What a pile of horsepoop. If Lu is stinking the joint out, put in Schneider. If he is too fragile for that then move him. My goodness 10 million bucks and he can't stop a beachball in October!! Okay then don't play him until November.
:lol:

This is the consensus as to why we as Canucks fans are mocked all over the league. We can't seem to give ANY love to our goaltenders. Next thing you know, Lu's gone and Schneids will be getting that type of crap that Lu is getting.

First we were all worried we would lose him to free agency and then he signs a long term contract and now no one wants him in the city! He only won a Jennings award with Schneids! He was only nominated for the Vezina now twice as a Canuck. Yeah he had a meltdown in the SCF, but fuck sakes, is the guy supposed to carry all the angst of this city of 40 years of mediocrity? Last I looked, for the most part, the organization was committed to winning and they are committed to winning with Luongo. The guy can't win here, even when he does so on the ice.

Get over it people or trade your Canucks colours (doesn't matter what era colours) in for some Flames ones or leaves ones. Tell me then if you're freaking ever going to be happy. I'm sure Marc Denis is still looking for a job somewhere...perhaps we should give him some Dan Cloutier money so we don't have to bitch about how terrible Luongo is time in and time out!

Yeah he let in a stinker! I was there! He also improved as the game progressed, as did the rest of team. He's the first ever Canuck big money goalie to EVER to that! Right?

Dan Cloutier at over 3mill per year...let's have that back instead! Hell, some of us in the city started a fucking website called http://www.indanwetrust.com

So even with his meltdowns, I'll take Luongo over ANYTHING (McLean included) that we've ever had in the past. Just like McLean, he failed to win the SC in Game 7. As far as I am concerned, that's a dead issue. He's got until November, if he's still shitty, maybe some of you can go protest outside of Rogers Arena and Mike Gillis' office about getting a new goalie. Until then, STFU! Christ, we all gotta bitch about something...don't we?

:evil:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Yes, it's only Vancouver fans who demand a less-than-craptacular performance from their goalie in the post-season. I'm sure Boston, New York or Calgary fans would have been totally cool with the last three years of playoff netminding. You're a Yankees fan, LB. What do you think?

It's funny, because I seem to remember Luongo being the most beloved player in the city, perhaps of all time, when he played his heart out but still came up short in the '07 playoffs.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Rumsfeld wrote:Yes, it's only Vancouver fans who demand a less-than-craptacular performance from their goalie in the post-season. I'm sure Boston, New York or Calgary fans would have been totally cool with the last three years of playoff netminding. You're a Yankees fan, LB. What do you think?
This playoff run Luongo has been totally crappy? Sure he has had those, but he also had some stellar games. Shutouts even! But he seems to have everyone on his case about every goal that happens. I always read and hear about how he is so not worth the money and he blew the whole entire playoffs for the city and the team. Clearly the other guys on the ice and the bench had nothing to do with it? C'mon.

It comes with the position, or so I'm told.

So if not Luongo, and besides Schneider, who do you propose the Canucks go and get and what would we have to give up to get that *elite* goalie? For lack of a better phrase, "we're stuck with him", so I'm saying "Deal".

Perhaps, the forward thinking Canucks management should get him a sports psychologist instead of a goalie coach. It's evident his fundamentals are there, it's just his 'weak' psyche or whatever.

The problem with this market is, and Philly is the same way, if we're not winning the Cup, it's a failure of a year. That's what happens when you are a team that tends to contend year after year. I've been to Detroit and the Wings fans, win or lose are there, perhaps the Canucks aren't the only ones to pattern themselves like the Detroit Red Wings, perhaps as fans, we need to adapt that mentality. Osgood, as mediocre as he is, was never thrown under the bus like Luongo is here. Yeah he won a couple of cups, but even Dan Cloutier could have won a cup with those teams he had in front of him.

Just talking about last night. Luongo was average. It was the first game. Give him a few before he is yet again thrown under the bus
Rumsfeld wrote: It's funny, because I seem to remember Luongo being the most beloved player in the city, perhaps of all time, when he played his heart out but still came up short in the '07 playoffs.
You don't think he played his heart out to get to game 7 in '11? :eh:

Sure we are all allowed to criticize and have our opinions, but I find Luongo gets crucified not just on this board, but in the media, the casual fans (which there are many) more than any other goalie in the league. Why is that? Is it the man himself? His demeanor? Seriously, I want to know? He has good game and he has bad games, but that's the life of an NHL goalie, even the elite ones.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I appreciate your passionate response, LB.

My point was that fans in other cities are even harder on their star players. The notion that Vancouver is somehow less tolerant of a player underperforming is IMO completely false.

My other point was that the criticism of Luongo is at this point (again, just MHO) valid. A couple seasons ago fans and media may have been jumping the gun when they called him a headcase or questioned his ability to perform with any semblance of consistency in the pressure cooker that is the playoffs. After three straight bewildering performances, those questions are reasonable. In fact, it would be strange to the point of denial if those questions weren't posed at this point.

The good news is that all Lou has to do to silence his critics is win a cup! Or at the very least have a fantastic playoffs to the point where the blame doesn't fall as heavily on his shoulders, a la 2007.
Osgood, as mediocre as he is, was never thrown under the bus like Luongo is here. Yeah he won a couple of cups, but even Dan Cloutier could have won a cup with those teams he had in front of him.
I oh so respectfully disagree. Osgood was an average player who elevated his game in the playoffs. He made the big save when he had to. Cloutier was the exact opposite, and his colleage Mr. Robert Loo unfortunately shares some of Cloutier's post-season shortcomings. Luongo might have been able to win it all with the Wings but there's no way Cloutier would have held the fort in all those 1-goal games Detroit won.
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society