Page 3 of 3

Re: GDT: Canucks vs. Oilers - 10/1 - 7:00pm - CBC, NHLN-US

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:08 am
by BladesofSteel
^^^ This morning Ferarro equated the Ballard situation to that of Brian Campbell. In a nutshell, they will never be able to live up to the lofty expectations that come with the contract each player signed.

AFAIC, the Canucks have a terrific blueline with ample depth, are comfortably positioned well below the salary cap and have all the assets/space available to make a move when the time is right.

Ballard is, in no way, a hindrance to this club in any capacity. Simply put, he's an over-paid insurance policy and whipping boy for every media outlet/whining fan alike.

It could be a helluva lot worse (See: Brian Campbell)

Re: GDT: Canucks vs. Oilers - 10/1 - 7:00pm - CBC, NHLN-US

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:09 am
by LotusBlossom
BladesofSteel wrote:^^^ This morning Ferarro equated the Ballard situation to that of Brian Campbell. In a nutshell, they will never be able to live up to the lofty expectations that come with the contract each player signed.

AFAIC, the Canucks have a terrific blueline with ample depth, are comfortably positioned well below the salary cap and have all the assets/space available to make a move when the time is right.

Ballard is, in no way, a hindrance to this club in any capacity. Simply put, he's an over-paid insurance policy and whipping boy for every media outlet/whining fan alike.

It could be a helluva lot worse (See: Brian Campbell)
Ballard is far better than what some people make him out to be. Overpaid? Sure, but as you said not a detriment to the team. It's amazing what some fans and media types expect these days. Yes...much better deal than Brian Campbell.

Re: GDT: Canucks vs. Oilers - 10/1 - 7:00pm - CBC, NHLN-US

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:22 am
by Cornuck
We can also feel better now that Luongo has the 8th highest cap hit for goalies.

Re: GDT: Canucks vs. Oilers - 10/1 - 7:00pm - CBC, NHLN-US

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:35 am
by Potatoe1
KeyserSoze wrote:The point you made about Salo & Edler rarely being in the lineup together in the regular season last year is a good one when comparing last years top 6 D to this years. And, it's nice to still have NHL calibre Dmen in Rome and Alberts still on the roster incase of injuries.

Salo and Edler were never in the line up together because we never had the cap space for all of the defenceman we went into the play-offs with last year.

Gillis can deny it all he likes but the plan after he signed Hamhuis was to dump Bieksa. The plan was to go with Edler, Hamhuis, Ballard, Salo, and Hoff as the top 5.

The long term Injury to Salo changed that and he was able to keep Bieksa and then Bring Salo back once Edler was hurt.

The Bottom line is that we are essentially starting with a group that was very similar to the group GMMG had planned to start with last season and in fact one that is very similar to the group we actually did start with last year.

We will miss Hoff on the power play, but Salo is IMO the better even strength defender so it is basically a wash.

One could argue that the defence is not as good as the won that lost game 7, but it is every bit as good at the group that won the Presidents trophy and finished first in almost every major statistical category

Frankly if Tanev plays as well this year as it appears he will the group might be better over all then what we saw in the regular season last year.

Re: GDT: Canucks vs. Oilers - 10/1 - 7:00pm - CBC, NHLN-US

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:55 am
by BladesofSteel
Potatoe1 wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:The point you made about Salo & Edler rarely being in the lineup together in the regular season last year is a good one when comparing last years top 6 D to this years. And, it's nice to still have NHL calibre Dmen in Rome and Alberts still on the roster incase of injuries.
Salo and Edler were never in the line up together because we never had the cap space for all of the defenceman we went into the play-offs with last year.

Gillis can deny it all he likes but the plan after he signed Hamhuis was to dump Bieksa. The plan was to go with Edler, Hamhuis, Ballard, Salo, and Hoff as the top 5.
This was pure speculation by both fans and media alike. Fact is, Salo's injury took place prior to the Ballard acquisition and the Hamhuis signing. While the news wasn't made public until after the draft, management was well aware of the injury long before anyone else did. Moving Bieksa may have been a consideration at some point last spring, but Bieksa himself said he had a conversation with management last summer stating its position with him - that he wasn't going anywhere.

Re: GDT: Canucks vs. Oilers - 10/1 - 7:00pm - CBC, NHLN-US

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:17 pm
by Potatoe1
BladesofSteel wrote:This was pure speculation by both fans and media alike. Fact is, Salo's injury took place prior to the Ballard acquisition and the Hamhuis signing. While the news wasn't made public until after the draft, management was well aware of the injury long before anyone else did. Moving Bieksa may have been a consideration at some point last spring, but Bieksa himself said he had a conversation with management last summer stating its position with him - that he wasn't going anywhere.
Salo was injured Thursday July 23rd, a full month after the draft and 3 weeks after signing Hamhuis.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc ... nhl-257838

If you look at last seasons cap situation there was no way they could have started the season with the group they had on Defence.

Gillis can deny it all he likes but someone was going to be moved and at the time he would have been nuts to Keep Bieksa over either Edler or Erhoff.

Re: GDT: Canucks vs. Oilers - 10/1 - 7:00pm - CBC, NHLN-US

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:41 pm
by BladesofSteel
Hah, I am on crack afterall. :P

I could have sworn the injury took place in June. :?

Meh, disregard my post.

Re: GDT: Canucks vs. Oilers - 10/1 - 7:00pm - CBC, NHLN-US

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:43 pm
by Aaronp18
BladesofSteel wrote:Hah, I am on crack afterall. :P
Must be the drywall dust!

Should've subbed that out.

:thumbs:

Re: GDT: Canucks vs. Oilers - 10/1 - 7:00pm - CBC, NHLN-US

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:51 pm
by BladesofSteel
Aaronp18 wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:Hah, I am on crack afterall. :P
Must be the drywall dust!

Should've subbed that out.

:thumbs:
<Spews more expletives>

Re: GDT: Canucks vs. Oilers - 10/1 - 7:00pm - CBC, NHLN-US

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:06 pm
by rats19
<Spews more expletives>
but not at anyone..of course...lol

Re: GDT: Canucks vs. Oilers - 10/1 - 7:00pm - CBC, NHLN-US

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:32 pm
by BladesofSteel
rats19 wrote:
<Spews more expletives>
but not at anyone..of course...lol
Well I don't talk to myself.












Though sometimes myself talks to me? :look:

Re: GDT: Canucks vs. Oilers - 10/1 - 7:00pm - CBC, NHLN-US

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:38 pm
by rats19
Well I don't talk to myself.












Though sometimes myself talks to me?
what if I didnt answer this...huh..then what?? :eh: :hmmm: :wink:

Re: GDT: Canucks vs. Oilers - 10/1 - 7:00pm - CBC, NHLN-US

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:44 pm
by Jovorock
If not for the no trade clause Salo would of been gone. But if the not for the Salo injury, Bieksa would of been gone and that would of been brutal.