GDT: Canucks vs. Oilers - 10/1 - 7:00pm - CBC, NHLN-US

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

GDT: Canucks vs. Oilers - 10/1 - 7:00pm - CBC, NHLN-US

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Probable lineup:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Sturm - Hodgson - Samuelsson
Higgins - Malhotra - Hansen
Oreskovich - Lapierre - Volpatti

Bieksa - Hamhuis
Edler - Salo
Ballard - Tanev

Luongo
Schneider

Sitting out: Ebbett, Alberts, Sulzer

IR = Kesler, Raymond, Rome, Bitz, Baumgartner

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks vs. Oilers - 10/1 - 7:00pm - CBC, NHLN-US

Post by Carl Yagro »

Finally we get to see the full lineup going into the season... minus Kesler and Raymond. Please nobody else get hurt.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Fast paced game - the Oilers have had several 2-on-1s, even a 3-on-1...

Luongo looks sharp, angles solid, no bad rebounds.

The Canucks first powerplay looked very awkward, but on their second powerplay chance, they looked much better crossing the offensive blueline, and eventually Hodgson tipped in a Hamhuis shot.

1-0 Canucks

Malhotra is handling the puck like a grenade - he is really struggling.

S_C
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Sturm's skating is odd - the tank looks pretty empty.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

The Oilers defence for this game:

Tom Gilbert
Theo Peckham
Cam Barker
Andy Sutton
Jeff Petry
Corey Potter

...and not surprisingly, the penalties so far in the game are:
Sutton - hooking
Potter - hooking
Gilbert - cross checking

If the Canucks can keep forcing the play in the Edmonton zone, the patchwork/AHL Oilers defence will have to keep taking penalties.

Hodgson has looked very good on the powerplay, stickhandling through the middle, holding possession along the boards, and crisp passes.

S_C
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

What a knob Luongo is flopping to his back to try for the interference call. I could do without that. So, then they score easily, but I don't think they get that one if he stays on his knees, and keeps minding the net.

1-1

S_C
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Oreskovich drills Nugent-Hopkins along the boards in the Canucks zone, and a brouhaha ensues!

Ends up with Lapierre having to fight Peckham, and getting beaten up for the most part.

This is where a 4th liner that can fight in the heavyweight class would have come in handy.

S_C
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

A little more of that from lapierre can only be good. Agreed on the Lou " dive". In fact I hope there is a team wide edict not to dive......
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Is it just me or is Burrows looking stronger?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Mondi wrote:Also why the fuck can you not throw a clean hit in the NHL without having to fight some meathead?
Yeah - it's getting worse each year - and from what I've seen this season, it's at an all time high. Sure, stick up for your teammates after cheap, illegal hit - but after every fucking hard hit?? Grow a pair and wait for revenge. Quit slowing the game down with meaningless shoving and face washes.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Cornuck wrote:
Mondi wrote:Also why the fuck can you not throw a clean hit in the NHL without having to fight some meathead?
Yeah - it's getting worse each year - and from what I've seen this season, it's at an all time high. Sure, stick up for your teammates after cheap, illegal hit - but after every fucking hard hit?? Grow a pair and wait for revenge. Quit slowing the game down with meaningless shoving and face washes.
The game within a game. Some might say that's where we lost the cup.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Hodgson showing some good wheels on that empty netter. That was actually a nice goal considering it was off the backhand with very little time for him to get the shot off. He showed some good offensive instincts. If his linemates can get on the same page as him he should have a productive year.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I just think his puck skills and ability to dish it in tight are incredibly deft for a player of his (lack of) pro experience. It took Kesler several years to even hint at showing some of the puck-handling ability Cody is displaying already.

No dig to Kes of course, just sayin'... this kids got game.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

If COHO can stay healthy we got a player. I do not know where he will play but he is looking pretty good so far. Someone said this kid has got game. Prediction. Our first Cup will have this kid's name on it. It is meant to be. I thought it would happen last year with him but this and that went down. This year he will make the team. If he does not I am going to start believing in Tony Gallagher, and I do not want to do that. I sure wish we had Pavarji. Out of all the picks they have taken near or at the top, he is going to be the best if handled right. he can fly and he knows what to do with the puck. Hall is going to get bad hurt if he does not change his game of fishng for the puck. Edler is not a dirty player but Shanny will suspend him anyway. Has to. There is a message being delivered. I am not sure yet how i feel about it. We still need someone who can fight when it is called for. Props to Lappy for showing up but we need a heavyweight like Neil from Ottawa. I wonder what it would cost. Hell. Even Rosehill (sp) from T.O. I like the way he went after the guy who hit their player Boyce.

Does anyone know the status of Bitz? I do not knwo him at all. What kind of player is he?
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I don't think Luongo was diving at all. He was making save after save, was on his knees and hence not in a stable position to keep his balance if knocked backward. If he was on both his feet, maybe. This, after he was playing lights out. The Luongo haters surface again... can this guy ever get a fair break round here?

Fact of the matter was that his teammates should have flattened any Coiler within 3 ft of the puck - there should not have been 4 straight shots on Luongo before the goal. This one was on them, not Luongo.

On another matter, the 3rd line looked good after an iffy 1st period. If Malhotra, Hansen and Higgins can get some more chemistry it'll be 'Raffi who?" The 4th line looked like a 4th line should - human torpedoes who create enough havoc to keep the opposition on their heels for the most part. Nice to see Vic O skating and hitting like a freight train. Volpatti made a couple good tattoos as well.
Cornuck wrote:Yeah - it's getting worse each year - and from what I've seen this season, it's at an all time high. Sure, stick up for your teammates after cheap, illegal hit - but after every fucking hard hit?? Grow a pair and wait for revenge. Quit slowing the game down with meaningless shoving and face washes.
I think if it was anybody but one of their golden 1st overall picks, it may not have drawn the same reaction. That said, it is getting bad. Maybe coincidental roughing penalties will cut down on that kind of nonsense. If a player wants to stick up for himself after getting hit, or if people want to react to a dirty hit that's one thing - what's happening now is garbage.

As for Hodgson, the kid was due for a game like this. He's been trying and just getting stymied for almost all the pre-season. He's looked good so far, and I hope this gives him the confidence to get a couple more before Kes comes back. The question Ron and the boys were asking though, is - if Hodgson really proves he belongs in the top 6, what do they do when Kes and Raymond come back? Nice problem for Gillis to have, but fodder for a discussion in another thread.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.