GDT: Canucks host Ducks - 9/24 - 7pm - CBC, NHLN-US

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: Canucks host Ducks - 9/24 - 7pm - CBC, NHLN-US

Post by Benjo »

Duco seems to bring out the best in people :D

I'm loving Tanev's poise on the PP.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Does Duco have any Rypien in him?
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

dhabums wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:
Hank wrote:But your marionette SC can't see the difference when KB4 has to fight off 2-on-1s all night because your boy, the future ROY, is bone-headedly caught in the corners looking for quarters once again. SC gets easily distracted by Magic40 in his vision and his fingers are ready to start a new onerous 100-plus page thread.
Hank, I'd cool it with the personal attacks against me.

And, on to the game...

I thought Hodgson was going to bag one with that slapshot - nice save by Hiller. I like how he is skating and working hard.

S_C
Marionettes are cool, hardly a 'personal attack'. In fact, marionettes aren't even people. Neither are opinions, so attacking those isn't personal either.

Marionettes are puppets and Hank is inferring that SC cant think for himself or have his own opinions, that's exactly the kind of mean spirited comment that enflames emotions and leads to the crap we slung over at the old board and if you want my opinion is the reason it doesn't exist anymore. when I first found that site there was a great many interesting people posting scads of great stuff in some cases far far better reads than you could pay for in main stream media. but there was a clic there that prided themselves in being the biggest assholes to newbs and to anyone who had a slight different opinion or take on any given subject. Through personal attacks, vendettas, and basic dishonesty like having multiple accounts, CC went downhill and eventually died. we all were there and know what happened, no one wants the same thing to happen here.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

[/quote]

Marionettes are puppets and Hank is inferring that SC cant think for himself or have his own opinions, that's exactly the kind of mean spirited comment that enflames emotions and leads to the crap we slung over at the old board and if you want my opinion is the reason it doesn't exist anymore. when I first found that site there was a great many interesting people posting scads of great stuff in some cases far far better reads than you could pay for in main stream media. but there was a clic there that prided themselves in being the biggest assholes to newbs and to anyone who had a slight different opinion or take on any given subject. Through personal attacks, vendettas, and basic dishonesty like having multiple accounts, CC went downhill and eventually died. we all were there and know what happened, no one wants the same thing to happen here.[/quote]

You are bang on UK. That is the reason that I quit sending in my donation annually. Some of the posters over there were sitting far too tall in the saddle for what they were contributing. That will be the last time I comment on that subject.

I wasn't too enthused by anyone tonight except Duco who did his job above and beyond. I'm hoping Jacques gets a 1 game suspension and that Carlyle is forced to pony up. Hodgson looked good early but then seemed to disappear. Schroeder can skate like the wind but it didn't get him anywhere. Connaughton should look really good in Chicago until he finally understands there are two ends to the ice. I'm disappointed in Fedoruk, He should have answered the bell when Parros ran Schneider and that is exactly what he did. It was in retribution for Duco crashing into the Duck goalie. I'm anxious to see Bitz play. I hope he recovers before the pre-season is over or he'll be tuning up in Chicago for this year.

I'm beginning to see the line up looking like this.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Sturm-Hodgson-Sammy

Higgins-Manny-Hansen

Duco-Lapierre-Pinizzoto

Ebbet

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Edler-Salo

Ballard-Tanev

Alberts
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Thanks to SC and others for your updates...much appreciated.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ukcanuck wrote: Marionettes are puppets and Hank is inferring that SC cant think for himself or have his own opinions, that's exactly the kind of mean spirited comment that enflames emotions and leads to the crap we slung over at the old board and if you want my opinion is the reason it doesn't exist anymore. when I first found that site there was a great many interesting people posting scads of great stuff in some cases far far better reads than you could pay for in main stream media. but there was a clic there that prided themselves in being the biggest assholes to newbs and to anyone who had a slight different opinion or take on any given subject. Through personal attacks, vendettas, and basic dishonesty like having multiple accounts, CC went downhill and eventually died. we all were there and know what happened, no one wants the same thing to happen here.
Thanks for the history lesson. You were there for what 6 months ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

A few quick comments on the game.

Hodgson looked very good before the Ducks realized they had the far better team on the ice. It was tough for the Canucks to get much going with the talent disparity and the understanding that the Ducks are miles better than the Oilers.

Mancari - I'm not a big fan. He's got nice hands and a great shot, but he's slow and scary defensively, and was eaten up on the point a couple of times. I see another Lee Goren type of player, but hopefully he won't get into too many regular season games to fulfill the comparison.

Ebbett - He's got wheels and plays a solid two-way game for a player of his size...he really is Tamby 2.0. I don't think he'll earn a starting spot initially, but he has "versatile 13th forward" written all over him. I think the 13th forward spot will come down to AV deciding on having a versatile player like Ebbett or a player with toughness or size like Duco or Oreskovich.

Duco - What a little shit disturber. It's not often a fringe player like Duco gets a bounty placed on his head in a pre-season game. He drew the Ducks captain into a fight and drew a 7 minute PP, albeit at the end of a game that had been decided. I'm still not completely sold on Duco's 2-way game and I wonder how disciplined he is, but he's had more impact on games than Volpatti, Oreskovich or Fedoruk. The 12-13 forward spots, if we give Pinner a spot on the 4th, will be between Duco, Nolan, Ebbett and VO. Get your bets in.

Oreskovich - A much better showing from Vic, but he's gonna have to repeat the same performance and then some to win a job on the team. Like we all know, VO has all the tools you need to be a physically intimidating 4th line winger, but does he have the personality to play that style on a consistent basis? I'm not sure he does.

Alberts - Looks even quicker than he did last year, but he was doing too much, trying to showcase his puck-carrying and offensive ability and ended up with a few bad turnovers. Think the competition in camp is heating up?

Tanev and Ballard weren't as good as they were in their first outing, but still the best d-men on the ice. Connauton did some nice things offensively and has potential, but he needs to round out his defensive game before he gets a look in a regular season game.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: Marionettes are puppets and Hank is inferring that SC cant think for himself or have his own opinions, that's exactly the kind of mean spirited comment that enflames emotions and leads to the crap we slung over at the old board and if you want my opinion is the reason it doesn't exist anymore. when I first found that site there was a great many interesting people posting scads of great stuff in some cases far far better reads than you could pay for in main stream media. but there was a clic there that prided themselves in being the biggest assholes to newbs and to anyone who had a slight different opinion or take on any given subject. Through personal attacks, vendettas, and basic dishonesty like having multiple accounts, CC went downhill and eventually died. we all were there and know what happened, no one wants the same thing to happen here.
Thanks for the history lesson. You were there for what 6 months ?
How long I was there shouldn't matter, it was long enough to witness the decline but if longevity counts I first started posting in 2007.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

[quote="ukcanuck"][quote="dhabums"]

[mod edit: all of that shit is ancient history and doesn't need to be brought up on this board.]

Ok that's it. That's enough. Done. Back to game day. New thread. Let's see how we do against the Sharks tonight.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Hank has said nothing out of the ordinary so far to garner even a warning from us mods. Let's not hijack this thread.

Carry on about this topic please.

One thing I have noticed last night about Duco is he could really make the team, if he can keep his discipline to minimum. I'm more of a Volpatti fan myself, but Duco isn't afraid to challenge anyone. He is a Lapierre willing to drop them. Could be a good thing.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

coco_canuck wrote:
Alberts - Looks even quicker than he did last year, but he was doing too much, trying to showcase his puck-carrying and offensive ability and ended up with a few bad turnovers. Think the competition in camp is heating up?

Tanev and Ballard weren't as good as they were in their first outing, but still the best d-men on the ice. Connauton did some nice things offensively and has potential, but he needs to round out his defensive game before he gets a look in a regular season game.
Alberts looked a little lost last night. He is quicker, maybe that's why I felt he was out of place. :lol:

Tanev looked good, still at times too hesitant to shoot the puck from the point. I'd like to see him let it go more. Ballard looked good but agreed, not as good as he has looked.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

coco_canuck wrote:A few quick comments on the game.

Hodgson looked very good before the Ducks realized they had the far better team on the ice. It was tough for the Canucks to get much going with the talent disparity and the understanding that the Ducks are miles better than the Oilers.

Mancari - I'm not a big fan. He's got nice hands and a great shot, but he's slow and scary defensively, and was eaten up on the point a couple of times. I see another Lee Goren type of player, but hopefully he won't get into too many regular season games to fulfill the comparison.

Ebbett - He's got wheels and plays a solid two-way game for a player of his size...he really is Tamby 2.0. I don't think he'll earn a starting spot initially, but he has "versatile 13th forward" written all over him. I think the 13th forward spot will come down to AV deciding on having a versatile player like Ebbett or a player with toughness or size like Duco or Oreskovich.

Duco - What a little shit disturber. It's not often a fringe player like Duco gets a bounty placed on his head in a pre-season game. He drew the Ducks captain into a fight and drew a 7 minute PP, albeit at the end of a game that had been decided. I'm still not completely sold on Duco's 2-way game and I wonder how disciplined he is, but he's had more impact on games than Volpatti, Oreskovich or Fedoruk. The 12-13 forward spots, if we give Pinner a spot on the 4th, will be between Duco, Nolan, Ebbett and VO. Get your bets in.

Oreskovich - A much better showing from Vic, but he's gonna have to repeat the same performance and then some to win a job on the team. Like we all know, VO has all the tools you need to be a physically intimidating 4th line winger, but does he have the personality to play that style on a consistent basis? I'm not sure he does.

Hey Coco, I was just thinking the same thing watching Mancari. Intriguing size and skills but soft as a jumbo roll of toilet paper, haven't see a single attempt at a hit from him. Just don't see what he would bring to the bottom forward role. I think Nolan brings way more of what this team needs. I really like Duco and Pinozzotto too. The 4th line should be a huge improvement this year.

Alberts and Rome. I don't dislike them at all. They're very valuable in the depth role and as long as you give them a steady partner and limited minutes, they are reliable like japanese cars. Start revving them and you find they can't keep up to the supercars. Tanev and Ballard, match quality with quality and you see the difference. Pair them up with lesser partners, results will be obvious. I thought Ballard looked respectable on the right side last night so we know he's capable.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

The trio of Duco Lapierre Pinner has "Cunt line" written all over it.

Innitially I thought both the Ebbett and Mancari signings were to beef up the veteran presence on what will again be a very youthful farm team. So far I maintain that belief (further injuries pending).

Vic O might be best served starting the season with MacT to really define his role moving forward.

With the reported interest in Pinner this off season, there's no way he gets exposed to waivers, so he starts the season with the big club. Should Duco have another effective showing he could
be a lock as well.

That leaves one final spot for, IMO, Nolan to lose. I just think his immense versatility is too hard to pass up unless he totally shits the bed next week.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Hank wrote: I think Nolan brings way more of what this team needs. I really like Duco and Pinozzotto too. The 4th line should be a huge improvement this year.
I'm looking forward to see Nolan tonight. I'm beating the same tired drum about what we need to see from Nolan, but he's gotta show a little more quickness for me to be sold. The pace undoubtedly goes up in the regular season, and simply keeping up in the pre-season won't cut it.

Like AV said, Nolan has the hands, instincts and willingness, so those areas aren't a concern.

I'm with you on Pinner, and I've liked what I've seen from Duco so far, but I still want to see a little more from Duco in his own end and offensive instincts in terms of passing and positioning.

You're right, the 4th line will be a huge improvement from what we saw at the start of last year. A line of Pinner-Lappy-Duco can have a big physical and pesty impact on games, but you need them to stay fairly disciplined and aware of their on ice responsibilities.
Hank wrote: Alberts and Rome. I don't dislike them at all. They're very valuable in the depth role and as long as you give them a steady partner and limited minutes, they are reliable like japanese cars. Start revving them and you find they can't keep up to the supercars. Tanev and Ballard, match quality with quality and you see the difference. Pair them up with lesser partners, results will be obvious. I thought Ballard looked respectable on the right side last night so we know he's capable.
Agreed.

Rome and Alberts can play the 5 or 6 role on most NHL teams, and it's a luxury that they may be the 7-8 guys in Vancouver. I think Rome is more well rounded than Alberts and can log 18-20 minutes without looking too out of place, whereas Alberts is most effective as long as he's kept under 17 minutes. Rome isn't a burner, but he moves around fairly well, is good at controlling his gaps and knows when to lay the body or lean on players and when to keep the separation. Rome also understands his limitations and what the safe play is most of the time. Although he makes the odd mistakes like everyone else, he does play a high percentage game and knows his role in the Canucks system very well.

Having said that, you're absolutely right, the step up in talent that Tanev and Ballard bring is unmistakable.

I'm really pulling for Ballard because he can be a very solid contributor in a bigger role. He did look fairly decent on the right side with a mistake prone Parent, hopefully he'll feel comfortable there.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

BladesofSteel wrote:Innitially I thought both the Ebbett and Mancari signings were to beef up the veteran presence on what will again be a very youthful farm team. So far I maintain that belief (further injuries pending).
Wouldn't mind seeing that, although I think Ebbett has the inside track to nab the 13th forward spot due to his versatility and AV's praise of him. It makes sense to have a utility type forward as the extra guy, but it also makes sense to have someone with some sandpaper in that role as well...it'll be interesting to see what AV decides.
BladesofSteel wrote:Vic O might be best served starting the season with MacT to really define his role moving forward.
Great point.

I'm not ready to give up on VO just yet, but he has to develop the necessary mentality to thrive in a physical role.