Sept 22 GDT - Canucks vs Oilers in Edmonton 6pm - TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Sept 22 GDT - Canucks vs Oilers in Edmonton 6pm - TSN

Post by rats19 »

Legacy is.playing pretty good
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

A gutsy result for a motley crew.

Scroeder and Hosgson outshone Ebbett IMO - I wonder if they'll start the season with Hodgson on the 2nd line and Schroeder on the 4th?

2-1 Canucks

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Anyone know if The Salmon was any good in the dot tonight? How about on the PP?

Will AV finally put some trust in the kid?
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Hank wrote:Anyone know if The Salmon was any good in the dot tonight? How about on the PP?

Will AV finally put some trust in the kid?
When Coho earns AV's trust, he will get his chance. So far this preseason, Coho has been given an opportunity and has only helped his own cause.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

BoS, that was cryptic like a fortune cookie. Have I earned YOUR trust?

How was his performance tonight? I couldn't watch or listen to the game.
trouble

Post by trouble »

What an embarrassment that was for the Oilers, Playing at home with most of the guys who will start the season against the Chicago wolves.

The Oiler should have creamed that team Vancouver put on the ice.

Gotta give the Canucks Credit, They played a good game for the lack of skill on the ice
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Hank wrote:BoS,

17:27 min played, 3 shots, 15FOW 9FOL

I only saw the first 2 periods, but from what I noticed, he was the most skilled and confident player wearing the Whale. His skating has improved, but his magnetic strength around the puck appeared as strong as he's ever possessed at this level. When I watched him with Tavares at the Worlds, he was always on or near the puck. Checking hard to gain possession, owning it and creating chances out of nothing. There was a hint of that determination, confidence and skill displayed tonight.

He's a definite lock if his play continues to progress in these next couple weeks. Kes or no Kes.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

trouble wrote: Gotta give the Canucks Credit, They played a good game for the lack of skill on the ice
From what I saw (1st 2 periods), is was relentless checking, hard on the puck with some solid puck control (considering) with very good goaltending (as usual).

Typical Canuck hockey, regardless of who's dressed. I expect nothing less.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

BladesofSteel wrote:
Hank wrote:BoS,

17:27 min played, 3 shots, 15FOW 9FOL

I only saw the first 2 periods, but from what I noticed, he was the most skilled and confident player wearing the Whale. His skating has improved, but his magnetic strength around the puck appeared as strong as he's ever possessed at this level. When I watched him with Tavares at the Worlds, he was always on or near the puck. Checking hard to gain possession, owning it and creating chances out of nothing. There was a hint of that determination, confidence and skill displayed tonight.

He's a definite lock if his play continues to progress in these next couple weeks. Kes or no Kes.
Thanks BoS, that sounds pretty encouraging!
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

trouble wrote:Gotta give the Canucks Credit, They played a good game for the Läck of skill on the ice
:lol:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Corb wrote:We have a hobbit in net.
Post of the thread, Corb. :lol:

the Canucks 'pluggers' beat the almost regular Oilers line-up. Lack was good, Legace played well and it took Jordan Eberle to score for the Oilers to beat the netminders.

Not bad.

Cody was by far the most talented guy on the ice for our boys. It was nice to finally see a game just to get a feeling of where the prospects and those trying to earn a spot are. I like Volpatti, a lot. He played very well last year when he was called up for the type of player he is. I hope to see him in a Canucks uni. He's a hard hitting kid.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

still finding my way around the corner, should have posted this here

A few comments:

Hordichuck and Fedoruk, going out of the game gracelessly.

Cody will not be as big a bust as Jordan.

Bobby MacK has tempered his enthusiasm for Cody to possible 3rd line centre, I am having a hard time seeing it, especially in Vancouver. Yes, silent G is finally healthy but I continue to see a CHL/AHL finesse player that can not get around NHL defenders with skating and will not fool NHL defenders with his stick. For him to be successful, he best learn to play on his knees and on the seat of his pants.

Ryan Parent had his moments, both good and bad.

Lacking nothing.

La Gace, best served with La Tequilla and La Salt.

Baumer and Nolan earned their babysitting fees. Smyth did not.

Sad when a semi disciplined game by a bunch of AHL plugs neuters the prepubescent future of the game.

What would it take to get Paajarvi out of Edmonton to a division rival...........nevermind........
Last edited by Topper on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Topper wrote:Yes, silent G is finally healthy but I continue to see a CHL/AHL finesse player that can not get around NHL defenders with skating and will not fool NHL defenders with his stick. For him to be successful, he best learn to play on his knees and on the seat of his pants.
Wellwood is a finesse player. Cody has far more intangibles than that of a "finesse player".

While he will never dazzle with Stamkos-like speed, his mobility is getting stronger every day and his work ethic is among the elite. Yes, he does have high-end skill, though its his character, tenacity and desire to succeed that will dictate how far his game will go in this league. None of which has ever been in question.

Jordan, on the other hand...
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

I hope Nolan makes the team as long as it is not at the expense of Cody. I expected this kid to show up and shine this year. Sounds like he is on the right track. I loved teh post game interview with him. Boy has the kid bulked up with muscle. Gary Roberts is getting a name for himself preparing hockey players.

I watched Hordichucks interview. Did he win teh Fedoruk fight? I missed both of them. Like what I saw from Duco and Pinz. Thought Lack showed a real readiness for NHL play. I am starting to think it may be Lack who goes in a trade. The guy is good and he is large.

On the other side, RNH showed elite vision, finding all sorts of wingers with passes that were too good for teh other player to exploit. Sure would like him with us, him being a van boy and all.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

BladesofSteel wrote:
Topper wrote:Yes, silent G is finally healthy but I continue to see a CHL/AHL finesse player that can not get around NHL defenders with skating and will not fool NHL defenders with his stick. For him to be successful, he best learn to play on his knees and on the seat of his pants.
Wellwood is a finesse player. Cody has far more intangibles than that of a "finesse player".

While he will never dazzle with Stamkos-like speed, his mobility is getting stronger every day and his work ethic is among the elite. Yes, he does have high-end skill, though its his character, tenacity and desire to succeed that will dictate how far his game will go in this league. None of which has ever been in question.

Jordan, on the other hand...
Cody seems like another "half-court" offensive type player who will make his living with high-end hockey intelligence and stay there with character and dedication. Very Sedin-like in that sense, right down to the early struggles as a pro. ie. strength, speed, quickness & agility, the pro game, etc. Doe anyone still ask how the heck the twins manage to beat guys on the rush or on the boards? They're still physically average, has only decent speed, not super quick or agile, don't beat defenders one-on-one with their stickhandling but still they get the job done and win scoring titles. Not saying that's what will happen with Cody... even if he clones himself.

Sure, physical tools are great but lots of successful athletes overcome their lack with an abundance of other intangibles. You can clearly see The Salmon Kid improving on those deficiencies while his other skills are on obvious display. With his track record at such an early age, how can one doubt his will to succeed? Maybe we got a Linden instead of a Modano once again, but that's not such a bad consolation prize is it?

On Schroeder... hope he's more St. Louis than (Steve) Kariya. Seems a bit cocky. Wonder why AV hasn't called him out yet like he did with CH.