GDT(s) Sept 20 - Canucks vs. Calgary Split Squads! 6pm & 7pm

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

jackalman
CC Veteran

Re: GDT(s) Sept 20 - Canucks vs. Calgary Split Squads! 6pm &

Post by jackalman »

I hope your right SC, but when I hear AV talk about Cody I get the impression he is throwing up the words more than actually meaning them. Its like he is a little kid that has been made to apologise for something he really doesn't want to apologise for. But he knows he has to or he will have to face the old man. That is the feeling I get from him. Anyway as I said I hope you are right and I am seeing something that is not there.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT(s) Canucks at Calgary and Calgary at Canucks Sept 20

Post by coco_canuck »

Southern_Canuck wrote: Nah - if you watch AVs interviews on CanucksTV he is very supportive of prospects in general - I don't believe for a second that he has it in for Hodgson. Instead, I think he looks for hard workers that want to learn and do what it takes. If you're not that kind of guy, then AV doesn't want you. With the hustle and try that Hodgson showed in the first game, I think he'll be in good with AV.

Don't forget that Hodgson got 6 or 7 pre-season games last year, and was kept by AV until the bitter end, lining up with NHL wingers... he just wasn't healthy enough to stick. Different ballgame this year.
Well said S_C.

A little patience is needed here.

Cody was put in a tough situation on the road, but had an opportunity to be the best forward in the group with a chance to display some leadership. He was given the most PK ice-time of any forward and according to Bowness' comments to the media, he was used in a number of different situations. To me it seems the Canucks are testing his defensive game and play away from the puck instead of coaxing his offensive game. It's clear where they think he needs to improve and are putting him in situations to show he can perform in that area.

From all accounts, Hodgson was the best forward on the ice and passed the challenges that were placed in front of him. Now, if Cody is continually put in this type of spot as the pre-season goes on, then I'll bang the crypt keeper's drum, but for now it's best to step off the ledge and let it play out.

Take the good from this, Cody performed well and was praised by Bowness. Like Darren Dreger said the other day, if the Canucks didn't believe in Hodgson, he would have been traded by now.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: GDT(s) Canucks at Calgary and Calgary at Canucks Sept 20

Post by wienerdog »

coco_canuck wrote: Cody was put in a tough situation on the road, but had an opportunity to be the best forward in the group with a chance to display some leadership. He was given the most PK ice-time of any forward and according to Bowness' comments to the media, he was used in a number of different situations. To me it seems the Canucks are testing his defensive game and play away from the puck instead of coaxing his offensive game. It's clear where they think he needs to improve and are putting him in situations to show he can perform in that area.
Agreed.

Due to all the injuries, we're going to be in for a bit of rough ride to start this season, and I think the brass wants to see how Cody performs while being a go-to guy. By all accounts, he thrives with a bit of responsibility put on his shoulders, and they want to observe how he handles adversity when he's not playing with world-class players.

Kesler is a lock not to skate on opening night, and Malhotra is questionable at this point. Hell, I'm even reading rumours that Henrik's back still isn't quite right.

Even if it's only Kesler, that's a big loss - add in MM and/or HS and we have HUGE holes up the middle; unless he utterly shits the bed or gets injured, I believe Hodgson will get a chance to show his stuff once the season starts.

In my mind, it's whether he sticks with the team as guys start returning from the infirmary that's the question.