R3G2 - Canucks host Sharks - 6pm

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Puck
MVP
MVP

Re: R3G2 - Canucks host Sharks - 6pm

Post by Puck »

Eggs, yes.
Chickens, uncounted.

Best line of the night was Vigneault saying that Rome's goal was a set play. :lol:
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Puck wrote:Best line of the night was Vigneault saying that Rome's goal was a set play. :lol:
It could have been if Burrows executed.... 8-)
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
juggerknot
CC Rookie

Post by juggerknot »

Well, I picked the right game to exhaust the playoff ticket fund for...although I was too far from the SJ penalty box to see what all the fuss was about...

Thoughts from the game - again, this seemed like a "regular season" style Canucks game. Good to see them playing to win instead of not to lose. The best part of the game to me was that it was hard to point at one person who played out-of-their-skin spectacular. Everyone did their jobs, and that was enough for a big win. That's the luxury that we have as fans of this year's team - as long as they play to their abilities, they can beat any team in the league four out of seven. If they can approach this level of play consistently, I can't see this series going past...well, I'll stop there...

I didn't have a problem with the minor to Eager on the hit on Daniel; honestly, all of the "major" and "suspension" talk from the media seem to show how the 24-hour sports radio world is something of a perpetual motion machine; in my mind, the call was appropriate.

Also, there was a lot of talk in the same media about how lousy the crowds have been at Rogers Arena; I certainly didn't feel that way - it was loud, loud, loud there last night. The only real lull came after the 2-2 goal, and that was more of a stunned silence, as nobody really saw that the puck had gone in, and the replay seemed to catch people off guard. Once the Canucks started taking over in the second, the crowd was right back in it, and the Bieksa breakaway goal blew the lid off. Definitely a great atmosphere that flowed out to the streets after the game.

Exciting times, but still six wins to go...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

juggerknot wrote: The best part of the game to me was that it was hard to point at one person who played out-of-their-skin spectacular. Everyone did their jobs, and that was enough for a big win.
Going to have to disagree with you somewhat. The Sedins proved they won't be beaten into submission, they took control of those powerplays and they truly dominated. And how can you not single out Kevin Bieksa? First Gordie Howe by a d-man in the playoffs in 3 years; the Marleau fight took the will to win out of the Sharks, and it became a will to retaliate; and that breakaway goal gave the Canucks a lead they never looked back from. One of, if not THE, best game Bieksa has played in a Canucks uniform.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I gotta say, "What the hell was Marleau thinking?" - Did he honestly think that he had a chance against Bieksa?

Also, watching the Sedins play in this series, I think it shows what a great job Nashville did of shutting them down. They took away all of their space and the twins had no time to operate. San Jose is nowhere near the defensive team that the Preds were and with the Canucks on their game, more players are getting a chance to shine.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
juggerknot
CC Rookie

Post by juggerknot »

Island Nucklehead wrote:The Sedins proved they won't be beaten into submission, they took control of those powerplays and they truly dominated.
I agree that they dominated; I suppose what I'm saying is that we expect them to dominate (I probably didn't word my comment properly; shouldn't try this at work). Extraordinary compared to the average player; but for the Sedins - just another night at the office. Certainly wasn't meaning to take away from their performance.
Island Nucklehead wrote:And how can you not single out Kevin Bieksa?
I'll give you that one - he was probably the best player on the ice; still, though, he's been having his best year as a Canuck and has really upped his game in the playoffs. So, it didn't seem as surprising to me.

I guess that's the thing - as Canuck fans, we're used to our team and its players having to either surprise or play above their heads to win and go deep in the playoffs. That they don't seem to have to this year is confusing, but in a good way.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

OK .. its over 24 hours later and I came down !!
4 things ..Our 3rd line was fantastic.. Sedins did not dominate 5 on 5 though they did much better than the last 2 series.. PP was back to the best in NHL ( kudo's Sedins ) and our PK sucked.. But God it was great to see the Sharks creamed :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice