R2G5 - Canucks host Nashville - 5pm - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: R2G5 - Canucks host Nashville - 5pm - CBC, VS

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Cookie La Rue wrote:
Go Canucks Go, we're the better team and it'll pay out. (And i have no fear of any opponent in the next round, play it game by game and we get our chances.)
Certainly with Nashville. Cookie is entirely correct, they're only alive by bounces and bad goals, the Canucks have completely dominated 9/10ths of this series. The more Nashville can hang around, however, the more dangerous it becomes. Let's make sure we finish them in Nashville.

I'm not sure what the real problem is with the Sedins, but they HAVE to find a way to score. That's what good playoff players do. Some call it grit, going to the dirty areas more often, throwing pucks on the net, having that "extra gear".... whatever it is, the Sedins are proving they don't have it. Their cycle game isn't working to the degree it did during the regular season, they're missing passes, and passing up great shooting chances. The Sedins (-7) and Ehrhoff (-8) are 327, 328 and 331 out of 332 playoff players in terms of plus minus. I don't care how much you think that stat is relevant, that cannot happen. Not on a team that expects to advance, not to your biggest point-producing defenceman and supposedly two best players.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Island Nucklehead wrote: I'm not sure what the real problem is with the Sedins, but they HAVE to find a way to score. That's what good playoff players do. Some call it grit, going to the dirty areas more often, throwing pucks on the net, having that "extra gear".... whatever it is, the Sedins are proving they don't have it. Their cycle game isn't working to the degree it did during the regular season, they're missing passes, and passing up great shooting chances. The Sedins (-7) and Ehrhoff (-8) are 327, 328 and 331 out of 332 playoff players in terms of plus minus. I don't care how much you think that stat is relevant, that cannot happen. Not on a team that expects to advance, not to your biggest point-producing defenceman and supposedly two best players.
Thank you Island. That's essentially what I was trying to convey to Toucan.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Well the sky isn't falling yet at my end of the country, but I do have some concerns with the team overall.

-It seems to me that the Canucks are having a tough time with puck management. By that I mean, holding on to the puck while skating or executing little passes. How many goals in these playoffs came from a give away in their zone? Far too many for me.

- Like someone else pointed out, the Canucks are lacking that killer instinct. It's almost as they respect their opponents too much and don't want to crush them. The Canucks are not 1-4 in games where they can eliminate their opponents. That stat should be 2-0 instead. When you have your opponent dazed and almost out, you need to give them the knockout out punch.

-While I am not happy with the Sedins in this round at all, we should realize that they are playing (or played) against 2 supreme D pairings in Keith/Seabrook and Suter/Weber. Let's give them some credit for what's going on. Hopefully if Trotz puts Suter and Weber on the Kesler line, that will be motivation for the Sedins to wake up.

-One last note. Kesler has been hands down the best player but can we give some praise to Higgins as well. He was Robin to Kesler's Batman last night. For a guy that pretty much had his career on the line this season, he's really turned it around. How about that shift (I think it was his first one back from blocking that shot), where he chased the guy behind the net, something you should never really do, stole the puck, lost off a rebound I believe, then stole the puck back at the blue line. What a gritty shift that was. If he can be motivated like that all the time, I would love to see him back next year.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I don't care how much you think that stat is relevant, that cannot happen. Not on a team that expects to advance, not to your biggest point-producing defenceman and supposedly two best players.
But it will happen unless the Twins score. That's why them getting chances, finally, is a really good sign. That's basically what I'm saying.
Sounds to me like you think it's acceptable:
Not what I said. You're basically saying that they weren't trying because they were on for goals against. I'm saying, well they may have been on, but I wouldn't say they were responsible (clearly anyway). They did however get chances, which is how they stay on the plus side anyway, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

As for sky is falling, no they're going to win, but they don't look like they're a dominant team any more. San Jose is too daunting.
-While I am not happy with the Sedins in this round at all, we should realize that they are playing (or played) against 2 supreme D pairings in Keith/Seabrook and Suter/Weber. Let's give them some credit for what's going on.
Certainly worth mentioning.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

the toucan kid wrote:
-While I am not happy with the Sedins in this round at all, we should realize that they are playing (or played) against 2 supreme D pairings in Keith/Seabrook and Suter/Weber. Let's give them some credit for what's going on.
Certainly worth mentioning.
It's also worth mentioning the San Jose doesn't have anyone of that calibre on the back end. They'll also play a more open game which should help us as well.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

It's also worth mentioning the San Jose doesn't have anyone of that calibre on the back end. They'll also play a more open game which should help us as well.
True enough. I like your sizing up of the Sharks more than mine.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

the toucan kid wrote:
Are you trying to say that they could use a bit more GRIT :lol: ?
:lol: Good line, but no. Just that if there's any players that you can label absolutely as "they are what they are" it's the twins. I think this team needs more goals, and the Twins took a positive step tonight toward bucking their slump. If it ain't a slump, well we're dead already, just a matter of when death comes a knocking.
They could use more grit, but it is something they just don't have. It isn't in their game. They can take a hit so they don't shy away from contact, but nobody has ever accused them of being gritty.

The Sedins have not been great, but they are not as bad as their stats indicate. They could come around.

And forget about comparing them to Kesler, because he is currently not even on the same planet as anyone in the NHL. Currently there is Kesler and all the other wannabes. Yes, the Sedins are in the wannabe class, just like every other player. Even Rinne has come back to earth, and hopefully Kesler will stay in the stratosphere because my heart can't take another game 7 so soon. (Although for some reason I was very calm in the van-chicago game 7... game 6, not so much).
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Linden Is God wrote:-While I am not happy with the Sedins in this round at all, we should realize that they are playing (or played) against 2 supreme D pairings in Keith/Seabrook and Suter/Weber. Let's give them some credit for what's going on. Hopefully if Trotz puts Suter and Weber on the Kesler line, that will be motivation for the Sedins to wake up.
Trotz already made that switch back in Nashville, sadly playing up against Klein & Blum has done nothing to free the Sedins up nor wake them up.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

ClamRussel wrote:
Linden Is God wrote:-While I am not happy with the Sedins in this round at all, we should realize that they are playing (or played) against 2 supreme D pairings in Keith/Seabrook and Suter/Weber. Let's give them some credit for what's going on. Hopefully if Trotz puts Suter and Weber on the Kesler line, that will be motivation for the Sedins to wake up.
Trotz already made that switch back in Nashville, sadly playing up against Klein & Blum has done nothing to free the Sedins up nor wake them up.
From what I recall, it wasn't for an extended amount of time. If I'm Trotz, I'd be freaking out about Kesler right now. He's a man possessed.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Island said:
I'm not sure what the real problem is with the Sedins, but they HAVE to find a way to score. That's what good playoff players do. Some call it grit, going to the dirty areas more often, throwing pucks on the net, having that "extra gear".... whatever it is, the Sedins are proving they don't have it. Their cycle game isn't working to the degree it did during the regular season, they're missing passes, and passing up great shooting chances. The Sedins (-7) and Ehrhoff (-8) are 327, 328 and 331 out of 332 playoff players in terms of plus minus. I don't care how much you think that stat is relevant, that cannot happen. Not on a team that expects to advance, not to your biggest point-producing defenceman and supposedly two best players.
Didn't realize Erhoff's numbers were so bad..

Toucan.. The Sedins are supposed to be tops in " puck possession " , which is what made them so dangerous in the regular season and part of that is controlling the puck in the oppositions end.. They aren't doing it very well .. They aren't digging for the puck .. they duck away from hits leaving the puck behind.. I don't expect them to turn into a checking line or even to be as good as Kesler who is the real star of the Canucks.. Just to try and backcheck after they lose possession in the offensive zone.. ALL top hockey players do that.. offensively skilled or not and yes it wouldn't hurt if they gave out an occasional hit..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Linden Is God wrote: -While I am not happy with the Sedins in this round at all, we should realize that they are playing (or played) against 2 supreme D pairings in Keith/Seabrook and Suter/Weber. Let's give them some credit for what's going on. Hopefully if Trotz puts Suter and Weber on the Kesler line, that will be motivation for the Sedins to wake up.

I'll just point out that the top players in the league routinely play against the best D pairings. To use that as an excuse is just lame. If the Sedins can't pick it up a bit for the big games, and produce, that says more about them as "elite" players than it says about their opposition.
The Sedins faced top notch D pairings all season long (including Keith/Seabrook, Suter/Weber) and prospered. The difference now is that in the playoffs the intensity rises. Most players battle a little harder. They take it to another level.
So far, the twins haven't shown any evidence of another level. They don't seem to have what it takes to succeed in the playoffs.

As an example, Joel Ward (10 g reg. season) has more goals in the playoffs than the Sedins combined (60 g reg. season).
I understand that Ward isn't always playing against the top D pairings but he didn't in the regular season either.
He has simply picked up his game to a Stanley Cup playoffs level.

I hope Hank and Dank can prove me wrong, and maybe they will have an easier time in the next round (if they get there).
I just know that Kesler can't continue to carry this team almost single handedly to the Cup. He'll need some help.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

woodhog wrote:LB, are you at this game? Seems like it.
Honestly, I was. It took a lot of convincing from Mr. LB and he didn't want to waste a $375 playoff round ticket.

If there is a game 7, I'm nowhere near the building.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Toucan.. The Sedins are supposed to be tops in " puck possession " , which is what made them so dangerous in the regular season and part of that is controlling the puck in the oppositions end.. They aren't doing it very well .. They aren't digging for the puck .. they duck away from hits leaving the puck behind.. I don't expect them to turn into a checking line or even to be as good as Kesler who is the real star of the Canucks.. Just to try and backcheck after they lose possession in the offensive zone.. ALL top hockey players do that.. offensively skilled or not and yes it wouldn't hurt if they gave out an occasional hit..
Hank is hurt, even Bob McKenzie said it was painfully obvious watching Hank try to bac kcheck. He's the center after all. I concur about puck possession, which is why I was happy to see what happened in game 5: they got quite a bit. The minuses are a little unfair, and if you want to talk about playing poorly defensively, then yeah you do have to single out Ehrhoff, who is playing the worst hockey of his Canucks tenure.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I'll just point out that the top players in the league routinely play against the best D pairings. To use that as an excuse is just lame. If the Sedins can't pick it up a bit for the big games, and produce, that says more about them as "elite" players than it says about their opposition.
The Sedins faced top notch D pairings all season long (including Keith/Seabrook, Suter/Weber) and prospered. The difference now is that in the playoffs the intensity rises. Most players battle a little harder. They take it to another level.
So far, the twins haven't shown any evidence of another level. They don't seem to have what it takes to succeed in the playoffs.
Well, but don't you think for a Sedin combo that is so reliant on passing, that a d-pairing that sees them every game for two weeks is going to learn to anticipate the passes and find the other twin quickly better than playing them four times over several months? Is that maybe why the Twins have had trouble in the playoffs? Who knows.
As an example, Joel Ward (10 g reg. season) has more goals in the playoffs than the Sedins combined (60 g reg. season).
I understand that Ward isn't always playing against the top D pairings but he didn't in the regular season either.
Players go on fluke runs all the time in the playoffs, they also fall off the map. It actually happens in the regular season all the time, so I'm constantly surprised about the aura that surrounds streaks in the playoffs.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

the toucan kid wrote:
Players go on fluke runs all the time in the playoffs, they also fall off the map. It actually happens in the regular season all the time, so I'm constantly surprised about the aura that surrounds streaks in the playoffs.
See John Druce, Chris Kontos, Fernando Piss-Ant....I can go on.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!