R2G1 - Canucks host Preds - 6pm - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Puck
MVP
MVP

Re: R2G1 - Canucks host Preds - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by Puck »

Ballard and Hamhuis seem to be reviving the hip-check. I love it. It was becoming a bit of a lost art.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hopefully AV doesn't bench Ballard for Alberts because of his 2 penalties. I thought he had a solid game overall, I've always said he belongs on our PP!!! ....total bias against him that he can't receive SOME powerplay time. Move Samuelsson back up front. Ballard is definitely one of our top skaters back there, he can move the puck like no one else on our blueline. His low stat totals this year are a total reflection of his lack of icetime and being seen as a 6th defenceman. AV just doesn't like to use him period.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I've always said he belongs on our PP
Bieksa kind of sucks on the PP, and I really think Edler needs to be on the top unit, so I would definitely agree. The guy needs to have some kind of role for the money he is making. Certainly Alberts is not any better, although I get the view that a 7th D-man like Alberts might be better in the 6 hole than a guy accustomed to playing top four minutes having to take a reduced, simplified role.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

ClamRussel wrote: Well even if it was technically on the knee its not like Ballard took out his knees, he took the whole body and probably hit the knee a bit in doing so.....but tell me this how could the ref diagonally across the ice and behind the net see that in real time & determine it was clipping?!? Give me a break, he just saw Ballard low & winged it. Ballard does hipcheck low but its not like he's Marchment taking out guys' knees intentionally. I haven't seen Ballard hurt anyone seriously on a hipcheck. They're freaking great hits!
Ballard said he has been called on it (penalized) before, so it wasn't completely out of the blue. I think the issue is don't get too low. At some point (if you get too low) you're risking a serious knee injury.

By the way, I agree it shouldn't be a penalty, but this is the refs thinking (I am guessing).
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Fair enough. Like I said I have noticed Ballard get quite low in the past. So low in fact I don't know how he pulls it off, must have incredible balance/strength.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Kerry Fraser breaks down the play & the call and sides with Ballard. No penalty should have been called however because Tootoo initally jumped in the air it might have given the illusion he had his knees taken out.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=364141
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Tootoo initally jumped in the air it might have given the illusion he had his knees taken out.
Absolutely. Saw it and thought that at the time. Refs aren't so smart I guess.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

the toucan kid wrote: Absolutely. Saw it and thought that at the time. Refs aren't so smart I guess.
It's nice to see a bad call labeled a bad call by a referee. That was a terrible call, and I'm sure Ballard won't be afraid to throw more.