R1G1 - Canucks host Hawks - 7pm - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

R1G1 - Canucks host Hawks - 7pm - CBC

Post by Cornuck »

VIDEO LINK

82 games
54 wins
117 points
1 Presidents Trophy
1 Jennings Trophy
262 goals
322 man-games lost to injury
12 Defensemen
1 set of twins
1 Kesler
40 seasons

It's all about tonight.

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: R1G1 - Canucks host Hawks - 7pm - CBC

Post by the toucan kid »

Now this is where things get exciting. I'm not used to this 'being the favorite' thing, but I think I like it, and have plenty of energy to watch hockey well into the summer. Haven't cared about a game in a while, but will be glued to the tube tonight for sure.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Last day of school, income tax back...good start...now to the superstitions old and new...to my fellow Canuck fans...if you believe in the Hockey Gods NOWS the time to pay tribute to them! I will sacrifice several hoppy bitter IPA's in their honour tonight...

Enjoy the new season and all it's magic....read some ridiculous article that the Stanley Cup is not the hardest to win in all of sports...tell that to the Conn Smythe winners body in June...

SpideyMonn :drink:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

This is what it's all about! They know what they have to do .... now they just have to execute.
Looking forward to an intense, exciting game.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Arachnid wrote:....read some ridiculous article that the Stanley Cup is not the hardest to win in all of sports...
What does the article suggest is harder to obtain?
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

woodhog wrote:
Arachnid wrote:....read some ridiculous article that the Stanley Cup is not the hardest to win in all of sports...
What does the article suggest is harder to obtain?
Dave Naylor, TSN: My thumb is down to the inevitable moment in the days ahead when someone, a coach, a player or otherwise, will declare the Stanley Cup the hardest trophy to win in all of sports. Because by virtue of simple mathematics, that is not true. The NHL has 30 teams and 16 make the playoffs. That's double the number that qualify in baseball which also has 30 teams. The NFL has 32 teams and 12 make the playoffs and in that sport, one loss and you're done. Just like NCAA basketball's March Madness that requires its champion to go 6-0 in elimination games. Is the Stanley Cup the most physically demanding trophy to win? Maybe. But the hardest to win. No way.
Don't wanna even give that debate much energy right now and perhaps it is unanswerable unless you have played every sport. I've played baseball, basketball, football, soccer and hockey* and hockey by far is the most intense physical sport of them all...after that it's numbers...

* all in post season playoffs or tournaments
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

He makes a fair point. Physically demanding, without doubt, but with so many teams getting into the playoffs, there are probably other leagues whose trophy is tougher to win from that standpoint.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

the toucan kid wrote:He makes a fair point. Physically demanding, without doubt, but with so many teams getting into the playoffs, there are probably other leagues whose trophy is tougher to win from that standpoint.
Who cares and before arguing about it "hardest" needs to be defined. Is this hard from the probability/mathematical point of view (lots of teams) or hard from the physical point of view ?

But anyway, rather than worrying about that, let's just worry about the first shift in the first game. After that is done, worry about the second shift...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I think that when people say, "It's the hardest trophy to win", they're talking about 4 grueling playoff series that ends up with one bloodied winner. I've never considered the 'probabilities' aspect of it, and doubt anyone else does when using that term. An NHL team plays what? 3-4 games in a trip to the Super Bowl? Baseball? Basketball? Soccer? C'mon - not even in the same discussion.

<rant> After shelling out for the NHL Center Ice package, I don't get to watch this series at home. Since the games are on VS, which would require another upgrade, Center Ice doesn't show it. The NHL sucks in US TV coverage and the next deal won't help. </rant>

I agree with Touc - this is an odd situation being picked by almost everyone to win the Cup - or at least the West. I hope I never get to know how a Sharks fan feels.

Anyways - Game on!!!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Got my game day Tiger Williams sweater ready.. ( never been cleaned since 82 ) and am PUMPED ..
Canucks 4 .. chitown 2..
Agree Stanley is the toughest to win physically.. period.
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Tiger wrote:Got my game day Tiger Williams sweater ready.. ( never been cleaned since 82 )
:lol: LOL :lol:
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Cornuck wrote:I think that when people say, "It's the hardest trophy to win", they're talking about 4 grueling playoff series that ends up with one bloodied winner. I've never considered the 'probabilities' aspect of it, and doubt anyone else does when using that term. An NFL team plays what? 3-4 games in a trip to the Super Bowl? Baseball? Basketball? Soccer? C'mon - not even in the same discussion.
Nail hit on the head Corny. Nobody talks of winning the Stanley Cup in those terms.
It's simply the longest, toughest road to any championship.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Brouwer is slated to play tonight for the Hawks. Bolland isn't ready to return from his concussion yet.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=362121

Let's hope that our "D" can soften Chicago up with some good old fashioned hits like these:

http://passittobulis.blogspot.com/2011/ ... .html#more

I haven't seen hitting like that in years! Let's keep it going into the playoffs!
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

I want to see the boys with a business approach tonight. Minimize the emotions and focus on playing between whistles.

I don't care about slaughtering Chicago, I just want to to put them away with as little trouble as possible.

Interested to see what sounds to be Hansen - Hodsgon - Raymond 3rd line.

Also stoked to see our full D healthy.

One game at a time - go Nucks!
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

All I hear in my head is For Whom the Bell Tolls. I have my ritual played out. White towel from 2007, Linden '94 laid out on the couch. '94 style logo flag hanging behind my tv.

Now I'm just watching some other games to get me more excited. I think I have a sports boner right now.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel: