In-Game Thread: Canucks vs Ottawa

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: In-Game Thread: Canucks vs Ottawa

Post by the toucan kid »

Great Post .. Island.. and no Toucan.. not joking.. If I guy thinks he's going to take a punch in the head he is less likely to be trying to take a run at your star player .. or players... Gretzky/Semenko Bure/Odjick.. Naslund/Bert ..
and maybe your right you had to be a player to know the code... or a coach .. or an informed fan.. ( been all 3 ) :)
I buy the Semenko thing, but the fighting back then was much different than now. Naslund and Bert? Yeah that worked out...

The thing I don't get is, Neil doesn't have to fight anymore, so there is no effective deterrent. He only has to fight someone he thinks he can take. In the old takes Semenko would stalk and pummel a guy. You can't do that now. I might buy the case pre-instigator, but now it's exactly what you say it is, a code, a formality, and a ritual. None of which means it's effective, because it obviously isn't.

I can't believe how many guys out there are still complete goofs about this sport, it's not that precious fellows. Meant to be enjoyed, while watching, or, even better, playing.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

the toucan kid wrote: I can't believe how many guys out there are still complete goofs about this sport, it's not that precious fellows. Meant to be enjoyed, while watching, or, even better, playing.
It would be ice if every game was an olympic or All-Star game. Where offensive stars are thrown together in an attempt to make art on the ice. It ain't. As long as there is some parity, and guys on the roster are looking to take out your star players, you'll need the toughness and pushback.

What you fail to realize is that hockey IS life for these guys. It has been since they were young. The code is ingrained into them. If someone is picking on your younger/smaller brother, you don't sit around and say "Take it Billy, the principle will give the bully detention", you support him yourself. How do you look yourself in the mirror otherwise?

That's the big difference between the hockey FAN and the hockey PLAYER. Former players (ones who played hockey that mattered) that become fans understand things like emotion and brotherhood still matter. As long as that exists, you'll see fighting in hockey. Which is great.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Toucan,

Neil goes after Henrik. Not sure if you're still espousing the notion that the Sedin's will never be more than second line players or will never get more than 80 points, but either way Daniel started chasing Neil. Do you really want Daniel fighting Neil ? I didn't think so, so now we have Rome having to step up and defend Henrik so at least maybe Neil will think twice. We're then down to four D with Rome sitting for 17 mins. Dumb move on Rome's part ? Nope. Did you hear AV complain about that after the game ? No, you don't let goons run your star players and you defend your teammates. What Rome did sends a message, being (1) we'll defend our teammates; (2) try that again and it is open season on Spezza and Alfie.

Is it like it was in the '70s and early '80s, no of course not, but it still exists. So yes, open your eyes.

Does that mean we need a goon. Probably not, our powerplay is probably deterrent enough, and we have enough players that can fight. But if the Sedins are getting run consistently you will FOR SURE see some changes. And if a Sedin gets hurt by the likes of Neil, then what are you going to say ? Turn the other cheek and let the other Sedin get nailed to the cross ?
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Neil goes after Henrik. Not sure if you're still espousing the notion that the Sedin's will never be more than second line players or will never get more than 80 points, but either way Daniel started chasing Neil. Do you really want Daniel fighting Neil ? I didn't think so, so now we have Rome having to step up and defend Henrik so at least maybe Neil will think twice. We're then down to four D with Rome sitting for 17 mins. Dumb move on Rome's part ? Nope. Did you hear AV complain about that after the game ? No, you don't let goons run your star players and you defend your teammates. What Rome did sends a message, being (1) we'll defend our teammates; (2) try that again and it is open season on Spezza and Alfie.
Uh... I don't get the first part. Sorry, perhaps rephrasing it? (serious, not glib). I mean I know you're getting a (fair) shot in about my past opinions on the twins, but beyond that?

I'm not arguing the code with you guys, I know what it is (that I think it's childish and outdated is an old debate). Here's the deal... Neil, and most of the guys in the league (see Getzlaf) are willing to take any cheap shot they possibly can (we've had more than our fair share in our own jersey in the last five years), and fighting afterward, doesn't mean a god damn thing. It doesn't prevent anything. The instigator rule means a thug can't roam and actually scare someone with a beatdown (you can CHOOSE who you fight), and therefore, standing up doesn't deter. That's my argument. I don't care if Rome fights or Glass fights or Shirokov fights, I hope they don't get hurt for nothing, because that same player will take that same hit on Hank if Hank gets his head down. It stops nothing. That's my point. I think fighting is fucking stupid is all, as far as violence in the game that needs to be removed goes, there are more pressing matters. Fighting is just lame, dull, and purposeless. It might make Hank feel special because he got a booboo, but it won't make the next one any less painful.

I must REALLY suck at explaining myself with the responses I get around here sometimes :lol:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

the toucan kid wrote:I must REALLY suck at explaining myself with the responses I get around here sometimes :lol:
And that is the beauty of an internet forum! :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

And that is the beauty of an internet forum!
Aye Aye. ;)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I get that you're coming from the strict rules and viewership point of the game. But you're also talking about taking a lot of the emotion out of hockey.

For the guys that share the rink, plane, bus, hotel room day in and day out for 8-9 months of the year, it's more than a useless endeavor.

Of course Neil will try to murder Hank again. I don't think Rome really WANTED to get beat up by Neil, but the understanding is there. The hope is that the team has enough respect for Hank to defend him regardless of the outcome. It's more about the message than the action.