GDT: Avs @ the 'av nots (Canucks) -- 7 PM PST, Sportsnet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

GDT: Avs @ the 'av nots (Canucks) -- 7 PM PST, Sportsnet

Post by dr.dork »

The drive for five (in the ineptitude department).

Tambelini was called up to play on the 2nd line with Burrows moving to the 1st line and Samuelsson dropping to the 3rd line with Hansen and Malholtra. I assume Torres is dropping to the 4th line but perhaps he is sitting. Shaeffer was waived (and appears done), so perhaps Rypien will draw back in to center that line.

The canucks are coming off of 4 losses in a row, with the most recent coming at the hands of the red hot Coyotes (although nobody in Phoenix either knows or cares). The avs are on a 4 game win streak, most recently dispatching the Stars (in Tejas on saturday).

Tsn gameday: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/scores/gameday/?h ... hl-canucks
Canucks.com game preview: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/preview.htm?id=2010020318

Go Canucks Go
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT: Avs @ the 'av nots (Canucks) -- 7 PM PST, Sportsnet

Post by Cornuck »

It will really help if we don't spot them two goals tonight - we got away with it last year, but it's a bad trend to start so early in the season.

Also, they're playing to regain the Division lead- maybe that will spur some motivation.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

It is also Kirk McLean night at Rogers Arena and last time they played the Avs it was a Ring of Honour night as well.

I think the Canucks will squeeze one out tonight. Anderson is back and he's had not had great success against the Canucks like he did with everyone else in the league and especially the division.

They will come back playing tonight, 40 minutes and the middle stanza will be a bit of a brain fart and then they come back in the 3rd.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Ridleyfan
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Ridleyfan »

LotusBlossom wrote:
I think the Canucks will squeeze one out tonight.
That was actually the visual I got when they were LOSING. :lol: :lol:
The leaves: Longest running sitcom since Seinfeld.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

There going to win again soon enough. Doesn't matter if it's tonight, but it might as well be.

Just remember the best way to play defense with Roberto Luongo in net these days is to stand behind him... :lol:
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

This game is like a blind date for me. It's smart to expect ugly and will probably get it. Good lookin' would be a very nice surprise, and gettin' laid would be super! ... or would that mean I just got too drunk?? lol
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Robert wrote:This game is like a blind date for me. It's smart to expect ugly and will probably get it. Good lookin' would be a very nice surprise, and gettin' laid would be super! ... or would that mean I just got too drunk?? lol
Well Robert, what can I say?! Sometimes getting drunk before getting laid helps the ugly ones git good looking :mex: Thank the Gods I don't have to drink anymore, she ain't blind 8-)

Hopefully the next game will not be a surprise...
Last edited by Arachnid on Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Just some after thoughts:

Canucks still not shooting enough. Ended with less than 25 SOG. Hank had a few good chances to bury a few but elected to pass (surprise surprise)

Budaj was in net from the 2nd period and on, was at the arena and not sure why Anderson was pulled.

Burrows had a good game and could have had a hat trick if he actually hit the net. He was getting some perfect passes but not quite as accurate as he'd like to be.

Alberts is just awful but he did block two shots, but yeah Sami's return is welcomed.

Good crowd, very much there for McLean, the game was the sideshow until we actually saw the boys actually wanted to play.

Tambellini looked good, hustled a lot and was ready to plant himself in the front of the net. Why was this guy even sent down? He was all over the ice (and not in the stupid Jason Blake way) and making things happen.

Torres not so invisible last night and Malholtra was better as well.

Samuelsson looked better, and although he didn't score he was shooting more and making good defensive plays.

The Canucks won almost 71% of the face-offs last night. That's an amazingly high number considering about 60% is more than good.

A decent game and finally a win.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Yes, Samuelsson is doing the right things to get out of his slump, he is shooting the puck and from all angles. I can agree with Tambi and Burrows..

My thoughts on the game though... hmm I seemed to be bored for most of it. Why? It seemed like they really wanted to break out and give a show but just could not quite get it there. The avs did not bring much opposition is one, and I've a theory on the other. I hate to sound like a broken record (ok, I don't really care) but the refereeing sucks. I know there weren't *that* many calls last night but this new style has players afraid to play. There are so many bad calls they've become gun shy and this leads to my boredom. Don't get me wrong I never liked interference but man this has gotten lame.

Great fourth goal... love that stuff. But still the bear down work ethic try is still not quite there.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Robert wrote:Yes, Samuelsson is doing the right things to get out of his slump, he is shooting the puck and from all angles. I can agree with Tambi and Burrows..

My thoughts on the game though... hmm I seemed to be bored for most of it. Why? It seemed like they really wanted to break out and give a show but just could not quite get it there. The avs did not bring much opposition is one, and I've a theory on the other. I hate to sound like a broken record (ok, I don't really care) but the refereeing sucks. I know there weren't *that* many calls last night but this new style has players afraid to play. There are so many bad calls they've become gun shy and this leads to my boredom. Don't get me wrong I never liked interference but man this has gotten lame.

Great fourth goal... love that stuff. But still the bear down work ethic try is still not quite there.
1) Yeah the Canucks aren't quite there with their work ethic. Still better than last few outings. Luckily their opponents weren't exactly throwing them to the lions.

2) Reffing has been atrocious all season long so far. I know it sounds like we're whining as Canucks fans but there have been blatant calls missed, wrong calls made in each and every game. The interference calls are always never for the Canucks and how many times do we have to see Roberto Luongo get run over before they call Goatender Interference? They aren't even trying to hide it anymore it seems, they just don't like the Canucks. Although, Cody McLeod seemed to be LaRue's fave target of the night, him and Hamhuis.

Looking forward to Friday. Gave up tickets, because whenever I don't go to the arena when the Sharks play, the Canucks play better. I'll be at the Canucks Official Tweetup representing Canucks Corner since Brian is Edmonton doing Grey Cup stuff.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

I now I've said this before, but I'm not arguing calls solely against the Canucks, I hate all calls and have bitched when they go our way.

Another point, I'm not so sure the refs are doing a bad job. They are probably doing a great job... doing EXACTLY what they are told to do.. calling it buttheads way... piss me off.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

LotusBlossom wrote:Just some after thoughts:

Canucks still not shooting enough. Ended with less than 25 SOG. Hank had a few good chances to bury a few but elected to pass (surprise surprise)

Budaj was in net from the 2nd period and on, was at the arena and not sure why Anderson was pulled.

Burrows had a good game and could have had a hat trick if he actually hit the net. He was getting some perfect passes but not quite as accurate as he'd like to be.

Alberts is just awful but he did block two shots, but yeah Sami's return is welcomed.

Good crowd, very much there for McLean, the game was the sideshow until we actually saw the boys actually wanted to play.

Tambellini looked good, hustled a lot and was ready to plant himself in the front of the net. Why was this guy even sent down? He was all over the ice (and not in the stupid Jason Blake way) and making things happen.

Torres not so invisible last night and Malholtra was better as well.

Samuelsson looked better, and although he didn't score he was shooting more and making good defensive plays.

The Canucks won almost 71% of the face-offs last night. That's an amazingly high number considering about 60% is more than good.

A decent game and finally a win.

LB you have no idea how jealous i am that you get to see any game you want. Anderson left after he reportedly tweaked his knee. great all around effort. good to see.
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

2) Reffing has been atrocious all season long so far. I know it sounds like we're whining as Canucks fans but there have been blatant calls missed, wrong calls made in each and every game. The interference calls are always never for the Canucks and how many times do we have to see Roberto Luongo get run over before they call Goatender Interference? They aren't even trying to hide it anymore it seems, they just don't like the Canucks. Although, Cody McLeod seemed to be LaRue's fave target of the night, him and Hamhuis.
Such nonsense LB, the reffing is bad all over the league and you must know it. There's no one out to get us. We draw all kinds of lame calls in our favor too.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

the toucan kid wrote:
Such nonsense LB, the reffing is bad all over the league and you must know it. There's no one out to get us. We draw all kinds of lame calls in our favor too.

The reffing IS bad everywhere these days. I do agree with LB regarding Luongo getting run a lot with very few repercussions.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

the toucan kid wrote:
I know the reffing is bad across the league, not just the Canucks but since I do watch pretty well all Canucks games I can say it's been bad in all Canucks games and not just against them but for the opposing team as well. It's pretty bad period. How many times seriously does Lu have to be run over until he gets an GI call?

Fuck, quit taking what I say completely out of context. I said IT SEEMS not that is is...Christ, English comprehension could do you some good at times. Seriously.