GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by ClamRussel » Mon May 03, 2010 8:36 pm

How'd that passive effort work out for us?

Face it, Chicago wanted it more. I saw it in their emotion and intimidation. Vancouver got out to the early lead and thought they could lay back and ride it out by playing it safe. The boys need to answer the bell so to speak.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

User avatar
the toucan kid
CC Legend
Posts: 3923
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:50 am

Re: GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by the toucan kid » Mon May 03, 2010 8:37 pm

Very evocative of last year... sitting on a lead WAY too long.

User avatar
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: Surrey, B.C.

Re: GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by Sid Dithers » Mon May 03, 2010 8:38 pm

ClamRussel wrote:
Sid Dithers wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:I, for one, am getting sick and freakin' tired of the Hawks owning BOTH the front of their net and ours!
I'm all for not taking stupid penalties and all but this is getting rediculous. First it was the snow shower in Lu's face...no reaction whatsoever. Even the Hawks who did it were braced to get pummelled and nothing whatsoever happens. Keith just took a penalty and after the whistle Versteeg chops the stick out of Hank's hands then pushes it away, Seabrook elbows Hank in the head just previous to that (no call)...think of how the Hawks reacted when one of the Sedins sprayed Niemi last game...they didn't go too far to take a penalty but at least they reacted. Ladd just went to the front of the Canucks net and crosschecked one of our players with authority....what happened? No penalty and Bieksa stared at him.

The boys need to play with a little more emotion than this.
But that kind of crap doesn't win the series. Too much emotion leads to too little thinking. You can't get even AND win. You gotta choose what you want to do. Canucks look fine.
This isn't a black & white issue Sid; you can play tough and show self-respect w/o the "crap" or "getting even".
I don't see Chicago taking any penalties for making the Canucks their bitches tonight.
There is a grey area here.
I don't see the point to it. The game is won out on the ice. Taking a whack and sucking it up shows a lot of toughness. Sticking the other guy back during a scrum gets you..... what? Sorry, but that stuff breeds penalties, and I'd much rather see the game played 5-on-5 where the Canucks have a better chance. It requires a lot of mental toughness. The knucklehead game just doesn't suit the Canucks well.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!

User avatar
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: Surrey, B.C.

Re: GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by Sid Dithers » Mon May 03, 2010 8:41 pm

Linden Is God wrote:The thought of walking all over these guys was ridiculous. Yes it gave us a glimmer of hope to jump out to early leads, but this team is really stacked offensively and have some defensive studs. I'm pleased with a split, as I figure this series will be a 7 gamer. On to Wednesday night with home ice advantage, where AV can match lines to his liking.
Yep, except for the 'pleased with the split' part, I agree. Two very good teams, probable 7-gamer. Anyone who thought the Canucks would roll in a short series are complete idiots.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!

User avatar
Robert
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:02 am
Location: Burnaby

Re: GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by Robert » Mon May 03, 2010 8:47 pm

Dam.. let them off the hook. We just forgot what to do in the third. Very lazy on the pp, and look what happened.

I saw too many guys turn away to shield from a hit and lose the puck... as noted chicago wanted it more. But still.. once we get to the third with a lead can't you just throw everything at them??

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6196
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by Arachnid » Mon May 03, 2010 8:48 pm

Sid Dithers wrote:
Linden Is God wrote:The thought of walking all over these guys was ridiculous. Yes it gave us a glimmer of hope to jump out to early leads, but this team is really stacked offensively and have some defensive studs. I'm pleased with a split, as I figure this series will be a 7 gamer. On to Wednesday night with home ice advantage, where AV can match lines to his liking.
Yep, except for the 'pleased with the split' part, I agree. Two very good teams, probable 7-gamer. Anyone who thought the Canucks would roll in a short series are complete idiots.
What's wrong with pleased with a split, it's starting on the road to a team that finished ahead of us...we are the underdogs here, not Chicago...you can leave with Pavol & Kyle... 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

trouble

Re: GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by trouble » Mon May 03, 2010 8:49 pm

ClamRussel wrote:
Sid Dithers wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:I, for one, am getting sick and freakin' tired of the Hawks owning BOTH the front of their net and ours!
I'm all for not taking stupid penalties and all but this is getting rediculous. First it was the snow shower in Lu's face...no reaction whatsoever. Even the Hawks who did it were braced to get pummelled and nothing whatsoever happens. Keith just took a penalty and after the whistle Versteeg chops the stick out of Hank's hands then pushes it away, Seabrook elbows Hank in the head just previous to that (no call)...think of how the Hawks reacted when one of the Sedins sprayed Niemi last game...they didn't go too far to take a penalty but at least they reacted. Ladd just went to the front of the Canucks net and crosschecked one of our players with authority....what happened? No penalty and Bieksa stared at him.

The boys need to play with a little more emotion than this.
But that kind of crap doesn't win the series. Too much emotion leads to too little thinking. You can't get even AND win. You gotta choose what you want to do. Canucks look fine.
This isn't a black & white issue Sid; you can play tough and show self-respect w/o the "crap" or "getting even".
I don't see Chicago taking any penalties for making the Canucks their bitches tonight.
There is a grey area here.
This is the problem i spoke about in the starting lineup.. The Canucks are pretty much all pussies up front.. It's all skill and speed.. Ya you can win with that but you are gonna take a beating when you're in the crease and on the boards.. You can see the Canucks shy away from the puck when it goes in the corners.

Ridleyfan
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: Dawson Creek, BC

Re: GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by Ridleyfan » Mon May 03, 2010 8:52 pm

ClamRussel wrote:I, for one, am getting sick and freakin' tired of the Hawks owning BOTH the front of their net and ours!
I'm all for not taking stupid penalties and all but this is getting rediculous. First it was the snow shower in Lu's face...no reaction whatsoever. Even the Hawks who did it were braced to get pummelled and nothing whatsoever happens. Keith just took a penalty and after the whistle Versteeg chops the stick out of Hank's hands then pushes it away, Seabrook elbows Hank in the head just previous to that (no call)...think of how the Hawks reacted when one of the Sedins sprayed Niemi last game...they didn't go too far to take a penalty but at least they reacted. Ladd just went to the front of the Canucks net and crosschecked one of our players with authority....what happened? No penalty and Bieksa stared at him.

The boys need to play with a little more emotion than this.
I completely agree. Have a response! Even it's just a hard shove, HAVE A RESPONSE!! Don't goon it up, but don't set the bar for what you'll tolerate so freakin' high.
The Leafs: Longest running sitcom since Seinfeld.

trouble

Re: GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by trouble » Mon May 03, 2010 8:52 pm

I thought the Canucks played well concidering they were playing a much bigger, tougher team.. AV decided not to match and payed for it.. They almost squeaked it out but the Hawks got smart and pressured the D at the point. Canucks forwards were playing like a small team.

User avatar
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: Surrey, B.C.

Re: GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by Sid Dithers » Mon May 03, 2010 8:54 pm

Arachnid wrote:
Sid Dithers wrote:
Linden Is God wrote:The thought of walking all over these guys was ridiculous. Yes it gave us a glimmer of hope to jump out to early leads, but this team is really stacked offensively and have some defensive studs. I'm pleased with a split, as I figure this series will be a 7 gamer. On to Wednesday night with home ice advantage, where AV can match lines to his liking.
Yep, except for the 'pleased with the split' part, I agree. Two very good teams, probable 7-gamer. Anyone who thought the Canucks would roll in a short series are complete idiots.
What's wrong with pleased with a split, it's starting on the road to a team that finished ahead of us...we are the underdogs here, not Chicago...you can leave with Pavol & Kyle... 8-)
No, no, no.
When you lace 'em up, you play to win. If you're going to be pleased with a glass-half-full, you're working with a loser's mentality. Maybe they should have flown home after game 1 and saved the themselves the bother, huh?
Time to start thinking like a winner, 'nid. 8-)
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!

User avatar
Robert
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:02 am
Location: Burnaby

Re: GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by Robert » Mon May 03, 2010 8:56 pm

trouble wrote: This isn't a
This is the problem i spoke about in the starting lineup.. The Canucks are pretty much all pussies up front.. It's all skill and speed..
C'mon dude what a load of shit. Who was our best player? Raymond.. is he not our lightest? How many battles did he win? A lot. Who scored last game in a scrum in the crease? Wellwood. So Hordi would have done what this game?? Jack... except for two penalties...

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7446
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by Cornuck » Mon May 03, 2010 8:57 pm

For once we didn't get it done in the 3rd. what is it now - 31-1? Guess it had to happen sometime. The game winner had us playing like a bunch of pee-wees (and totally out of character) - then we pulled Luongo without having control.

I agree with Clam - we played far too cautiously and should have made more / some effort to show a physical side.

Still - we split and now it's a 5 game series with our home ice advantage. I hope they play with more passion and more of an edge at home.
2018-19 - The Road to 82

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6196
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by Arachnid » Mon May 03, 2010 8:58 pm

Sid Dithers wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Sid Dithers wrote: Yep, except for the 'pleased with the split' part, I agree. Two very good teams, probable 7-gamer. Anyone who thought the Canucks would roll in a short series are complete idiots.
What's wrong with pleased with a split, it's starting on the road to a team that finished ahead of us...we are the underdogs here, not Chicago...you can leave with Pavol & Kyle... 8-)
No, no, no.
When you lace 'em up, you play to win. If you're going to be pleased with a glass-half-full, you're working with a loser's mentality. Maybe they should have flown home after game 1 and saved the themselves the bother, huh?
Time to start thinking like a winner, 'nid. 8-)
That doesn't compute, you just said a probable 7 but think a split is not copacetic. Well to get sLeven you gotta split sid :drink:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

User avatar
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1941
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:57 pm
Location: 50° 10' North / 8° 34' East

Re: GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by Cookie La Rue » Mon May 03, 2010 9:04 pm

"There must be some kind of way out of here" said the joker to the thief,
"there's too much confusion (Chicago's 3rd goal), i can't get no relief."

Most of the game i had the feeling the Canucks have it under control but in the end ? At least heading home with a split isn't the worst thing.

Go Canucks Go
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013

trouble

Re: GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

Post by trouble » Mon May 03, 2010 9:06 pm

No, no, no.
When you lace 'em up, you play to win. If you're going to be pleased with a glass-half-full, you're working with a loser's mentality. Maybe they should have flown home after game 1 and saved the themselves the bother, huh?
Time to start thinking like a winner, 'nid. 8-)
Ya it would have been nice to squeak this one out but i'm happy with a best of 5 with 3 out of the first 4 games at home

Post Reply