GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

Postby Cornuck » Mon May 03, 2010 9:01 am

Will we see a repeat of game one? Will the Hawks adjust even the series?

I don't know, but the beer's in the fridge, and game time can't come soon enough. I'm guessing that AV will keep the same lines. Niemi get the start for Chicago. We need to stay out of the box and continue our 5-on-5 dominance.

GO CANUCKS GO!
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT: R2G2 - Canucks @ Hawks - 6pm - CBC, VS

Postby the toucan kid » Mon May 03, 2010 10:07 am

If Niemi plays like that, and Luongo plays like that - then this thing is already done. But, we'll see tonight if that was a one off or a trend.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Postby woodhog » Mon May 03, 2010 10:24 am

I'm expecting a very different game tonight. The Hawks should pump up the intensity and physicality.
If they don't, they might as well fly the white flag now.
Luongo looks eager to overcome last years performance, and so far the Blackhawk goaltending doesn't look good enough.
Hoping for a better game than game 1, but with the same result.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Sid Dithers » Mon May 03, 2010 10:32 am

woodhog wrote:I'm expecting a very different game tonight. The Hawks should pump up the intensity and physicality.
If they don't, they might as well fly the white flag now.
Luongo looks eager to overcome last years performance, and so far the Blackhawk goaltending doesn't look good enough.
Hoping for a better game than game 1, but with the same result.

This game might set the table for a true Canuck Stanley run. Hawks will be coming hard and intense. The Canucks must withstand it, and then turn the tables and generate their own fun...getting pucks in deep, working down low, generating their scoring chances, busting Niemi's balls. And for the love of God, stay out of the box!

If (IF!) the Canucks can deliver that mentality tonight, play hard for 60, play well for 60....then win or lose, I will be convinced they have what it takes and will be on board 100%. Remaining skepticisms will be washed away.
But I need to see what they got tonight. I think it's that big of a statement game.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Island Nucklehead » Mon May 03, 2010 10:38 am

It's going to be incredibly tough to take both games in Chicago to start this series. Luongo will need to be at least as good as he was in Game 1, and even that might not be enough. This isn't going to be an easy series.

Chicago only lost 12 games (including OT losses) in that rink all season, and the Canucks were one game below .500 on the road. If Vancouver can take a 2-0 lead from Chicago heading back to Vancouver, we're in excellent shape.

I think the Sedins are going to have to dominate tonight, and Burrows is due for a multi-goal game.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby Sid Dithers » Mon May 03, 2010 10:44 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:I think the Sedins are going to have to dominate tonight, and Burrows is due for a multi-goal game.

Personally, I'm looking for Kesler tonight. He needs to be front and centre playing a nasty two-way game. It's games like this where he needs to deliver a $5 million performance as he's soon going to be paid to do. Punch that clock, Kes!
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby the toucan kid » Mon May 03, 2010 10:58 am

Remaining skepticisms will be washed away.

The way the Sharks are coming together, that to me, is still more of a test than the Hawks- especially because it's a team we stink against when in their barn. This will be another step up for us if we can win it, but it doesn't make us poised for a Cup in my opinion.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Postby Cornuck » Mon May 03, 2010 11:26 am

the toucan kid wrote:...but it doesn't make us poised for a Cup in my opinion.

Nothing personal Touc, but I feel that we'll be up 3 games to 0 in the final and you'll still be saying this. ;)
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Jelly » Mon May 03, 2010 12:41 pm

And that's exactly what the coach would say too, up 3-0 in the series and 5-0 in the 2nd intermission of game 4, we haven't won shit, play hard for the next 20!

If only Marc Crawford knew how to say that in the Minnesota series... /facepalm

back on topic, I'm calm, excited for game day, but calm for the playoffs, is it because expectations are higher?
I just feel a strange calmness around the team, calm before the storm?
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dr.dork » Mon May 03, 2010 1:04 pm

Cornuck wrote:
the toucan kid wrote:...but it doesn't make us poised for a Cup in my opinion.

Nothing personal Touc, but I feel that we'll be up 3 games to 0 in the final and you'll still be saying this. ;)

We do tend to get ahead of ourselves around here and in this city.

If we lose tonight the glass half full crowd will be saying "1-1 given we're a bad road team is OK" and the glass half empty cloud will be stampeding off the bandwagon.

We just need to play a strong game. Chicago will come out guns blazing. I wouldn't doubt Chicago takes some chances and they are likely to take a penalty or two while trying to make a statement. We need to weather the storm and get pucks on net and traffic in front of Niemi. Stay out of the box.

And Go CANUCKS Go.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby the toucan kid » Mon May 03, 2010 1:23 pm

If we lose tonight the glass half full crowd will be saying "1-1 given we're a bad road team is OK" and the glass half empty cloud will be stampeding off the bandwagon.

That's more or less what I'm referring to in this instance. We're not that close yet, and if we lose even one game, no one here will have any faith until we win the next game, and then we'll see again with a loss.

Nothing personal Touc, but I feel that we'll be up 3 games to 0 in the final and you'll still be saying this.

Well... this IS the Canucks we're talking about. I probably would still be nervous, a little.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Postby Cornuck » Mon May 03, 2010 1:26 pm

Jelly wrote:And that's exactly what the coach would say too, up 3-0 in the series and 5-0 in the 2nd intermission of game 4, we haven't won shit, play hard for the next 20!

Agreed 100%. I'm just saying that some people will not credit the team with their achievements until it is all to obvious to everyone.

As far as winning - or even getting close to - the Cup goes, this team has a very long journey ahead of it. They have a 1-8 chance now - and if they keep handling Chicago, that will go to a 1 in 4. That long journey will most likely continue past this year's playoffs - but hey, I have to dream the dream.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Tiger » Mon May 03, 2010 2:19 pm

If they don't, they might as well fly the white flag now
ouch Woodhog.. Don't even mention another team flying the white flag.. last time that happened in Chi town was 82.. and we flew it !! then went on to beat them and had a great run to the cup final.. start of towel power :)

I am not planning a parade just because the Canucks won 1 game out of 7.. Just hoping they will give us a good 60 minute effort tonight.. Sure it would be nice to come out of Chicago with a 2-0 .... but thats a lot to hope for.. Tonight I would like to see some of the guys that are playing hard get rewarded with Goals.. Demitra has looked good and Hansen is working hard.. Burrows is way overdue ..
I expect a far different game tonight.. a tougher lineup from Chitown and a closer game.. 3-2 .. either way .. If Lou continues to stone them it will be a Canucks win !
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby trouble » Mon May 03, 2010 3:30 pm

This is a tough game to call.. so i won't bother..

Canucks need to stick to their game plan and try and get the Sedins away from their top D pairing... Chicago will come out hard and take the body and try and softin up the Canucks D. If LOu plays like he has in the past 3 games.. we could pull this one out.

Chicago will be making a few changes to their lineup after the game 1 debacle. Byfuglien is expected back on defense with Burish coming into the lineup. Jordan Hendry looks to be the odd man out. Coach Quenneville gave his vote of confidence to goalie Antti Niemi who's expected back as the starter and expected to show the same resiliency he has all season after bad games. Whether he can do that against a strong Canucks offense firing on all cylinders, like he did against Nashville, remains to be seen.

Troy Brouwer - Jonathan Toews - Patrick Kane
Tomas Kopecky - Patrick Sharp - Marian Hossa
Andrew Ladd - Dave Bolland - Kris Versteeg
Bryan Bickell - John Madden - Adam Burish

Duncan Keith - Brent Seabrook
Niklas Hjalmarsson - Brent Sopel
Brian Campbell - Dustin Byfuglien

Canucks lineup looks to be the same

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Mikael Samuelsson
Mason Raymond - Ryan Kesler - Alex Burrows
Pavol Demitra - Kyle Wellwood - Steve Bernier
Michael Grabner- Rick Rypien - Jannik Hansen

Alex Edler - Sami Salo
Shane O'Brien - Christian Ehrhoff
Andrew Alberts - Kevin Bieksa
trouble

Postby Jelly » Mon May 03, 2010 4:06 pm

Cornuck wrote:
Jelly wrote:And that's exactly what the coach would say too, up 3-0 in the series and 5-0 in the 2nd intermission of game 4, we haven't won shit, play hard for the next 20!

Agreed 100%. I'm just saying that some people will not credit the team with their achievements until it is all to obvious to everyone.

As far as winning - or even getting close to - the Cup goes, this team has a very long journey ahead of it. They have a 1-8 chance now - and if they keep handling Chicago, that will go to a 1 in 4. That long journey will most likely continue past this year's playoffs - but hey, I have to dream the dream.

actually, it's still 50%. either you win, or you don't.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Next

Return to Game Day Forum