GDT: R2G1 - Canucks @ Hawks - 5pm - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: R2G1 - Canucks @ Hawks - 5pm - CBC, VS

Post by Cornuck »

Ok - a little early I'll admit, but it is less than 24 hours to game time!

This will be a great one. I think we're pretty evenly matched. Yes, we all know happened last year - but that was last year and this is this year, etc etc. I'd like to think that our guys have been looking forward to a rematch for the past 12 months. We're the underdog and would love nothing more than to scalp the Hawks. Without home ice advantage, we need to win one in Chi-town. I think game 1 will be our best chance. This will be game of who can intimidate who without taking a penalty (although the Hawks would love try their luck against our PK)

I was running down some stats and this is what I found:

5 on 5 we have the best F/A against record - 2.43, compared to the Hawks 1.10
Hits - we're at 171, the Hawks at 117
Blocked shots, Chicago has the edge 94-74 (BTW, Montreal has 132) This will improve with Johnson back.
Chicago has the edge in takeaways at 77-47
Face-offs pretty even but we have the better numbers - 55% > 52.8%
3rd period goals - 11-3 Vancouver
Trailing after the 1st, we're 3-0 - Chicago 1-1
PP - we lead 25% - 17.4%
PK - they kill us - 96.3% - 61.5%

Here's the regular season Tale of the Tape.

Series preview from: THN.com - NHL.com - ESPN.com

Chicago forum GDT

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: GDT: R2G1 - Canucks @ Hawks - 5pm - CBC, VS

Post by the toucan kid »

I honestly don't know what to think. Somehow I could see this going either way, but I get the impression it actually won't be a close series whoever takes it. That's just my thought though, hope its a tonne of fun, and despite my blabbering over the season, I would love to see this team in the conference finals for the first time since I hit puberty - which was three weeks from Sunday, despite it being much longer for the Canucks, for all you inquiring minds. :|
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Wow Cornuck, yer perty eager aren't ya!!
I don't blame you. I can't wait either.
It's going to be a war. Here's to hoping we can pull it off this time.
Lou's gonna have to battle through all kinds of interference. I hope the reffing (and the replay calls!) is a little better than the first round.
Let's get it on!!!
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

We've had the 6-day pre-game show. We've got the wallpaper. We've got hyperbole by the gallon. Finally we get some action.
Usually it takes a game or two to build up some animosity between two teams, but obviously that is waived in this case, as the hatred should be evident from the get-go. I'm expecting a nasty, bitchy, abusive, action-packed 7-game series. Anything else would be civilized. And who hell needs that?
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Everybody expects a close series, but me not, take out the brooms, this is going to be a sweep. :lol: :mrgreen: Yeeeehaw...

ps: Sorry for my marked words, i guess i'm already too hot and excited and can't wait to the start... but hey still possible, imagine 4 close games with the right winner ???? As a fan i can dream can i ?
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Ninety minutes away and my heart rate is already at about eighty. I better start drinking.

My perspective:

One - they need to eliminate the mental challange they have against the hawks. Last year they lost the series in the dressing room 2nd intermission game four. Whatever happened in their heads they must expunge. I like what I've been hearing from Sedinery, we must play our game first, and don't play worry defense when we get scared.

Two - I think the hawks feel they are more superior. A little cocky, slightly imature, while the Canucks seem loose and very focused and will be more business like. I think the "determination" edge goes to Vancouver.

Three - Luongo needs to start off where he finished in the last series, very good (the best so far all year).. and continue to improve from there.

Four - Raymond, Kesler, Borrows need to really show up. Niether has quite put it together yet and that's being generous. I suspect just the colour red will get Kes going like a mad bull. Burrows, being our top sniper I'm sure will find better luck. I hope what ailed him is gone.

Five - the Alberts experiment works out ok tonight and he keeps By-fug-lien (not bufflin) out of the crease.

Six - I need to keep my heart rate below 140, I suspect this may be the hardest to accomplish. If I don't post back tonight please do a wallpaper in my honour. 8-)

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Seven - Let's play the Chelsea Dagger for every canucks goal :shock:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Maaaason yeeeeehaw..... Alberta Cowboy yeeeeehaw

1st the Christian Dagger and now this, btw Roberto is pretty sharp tonight...

GO CANUCKS GOOOOO
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Great road period for the Boys.
Can they avoid the dreaded poor 2nd period this time?
Luongo looks ready for this series.
Keep the pedal down!!
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Nice period. MayRay instrumental on both goals. Gotta keep the penalties down.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlMfV7A3V00

ART ROSSSSSSSS - Henrik 3:0 unbelievable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: 4:0 anyone muahahahahaahaaaaaaaaaaaa
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

woodhog wrote: Can they avoid the dreaded poor 2nd period this time?
Keep the pedal down!!

YES and YES !!!!
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Surprised by how flat the 'Hawks have been so far. You know they'll be playing for pride this period, trying to take something into the next game. The Canucks just have to keep playing their game and not simply sit back and let the 'Hawks build momentum. Sure great to see Wellwood and Grabner score their firsts!
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

rockalt wrote: You know they'll be playing for pride this period, trying to take something into the next game. The Canucks just have to keep playing their game and not simply sit back and let the 'Hawks build momentum.
It'll be tough not to sit back, leading 5-0.
Lu will probably have to come up big to keep the Hawks frustrated.
Stay out of the box too.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Terrific game by the Canucks. Most impressive was their checking. They kept their feet moving, got sticks in lanes, tipped passes, lifted sticks and knocked pucks away. They clearly frustrated the Hawks. It killed their transition game and their flow. Very well done. Everybody looked focused, played hard and played smart. Also nice was the fact it wasn't a very physical game, surprisingly. Our vulnerable D don't need to be taking any more hits than necessary. I expect they'll see more action from the Hawks in Game 2.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!