GDT: R1G2 - Canucks host Kings - 7pm - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: R1G2 - Canucks host Kings - 7pm - CBC, VS

Post by Cornuck »

Game one was a good start to the playoffs. Exciting game, fairly even - but game 1 is over.

Game 2 is almost a must win for both teams. For an inexperienced team like the Kings to go down 0-2, it will not be easy for them to win the next 4 out of 5. The Canucks also know that their road record is not the best, so heading to LA up 2-0 is almost mandatory. Especially if we want to end the series early for Salo's "maintenance days".

I'd like the Canucks to use their speed more, be a little more aggressive on the forecheck and keep the pressure up on Quick. This could one of those games where we fall behind early and have to come back in the 3rd - thankfully the Canucks are used to that.

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: R1G2 - Canucks host Kings - 7pm - CBC, VS

Post by Jelly »

Looks like Grabner is in for Pettinger.

Bernier's PP time will probably be lowered to give Grabner a shot.

And when is there going to be a fight? I'd love to see Rypien VS Brown
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Jelly wrote:Looks like Grabner is in for Pettinger.

Bernier's PP time will probably be lowered to give Grabner a shot.

And when is there going to be a fight? I'd love to see Rypien VS Brown
Nah, we don't need Rypien yet, he can save it for when needed, not with the team hitting every Queen in sight like game 1. Even Daniel & Henrik were throwing their body around :eh:

The Canucks were definitely the leader in Team Toughness™ , both mentally and physically.
Keep it up for the next 15 and it looks good on 'em, maybe they did learn what it takes in the post-season to win....

SOB for Conn Smythe!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

if SOB wins Conn Smythe, i will buy a SOB jersey and be a SOB cheerleader for life.

the chances of that happening is so slim, i'll even let you guys decide more things!
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Just wondering if Phat Alberts will be replaced.. god he was a disaster last game. Grabner in ? bit more offence but not as much defensive skill.. Looking for a good tough game.. Edler is playing fantastic defence after a really lousy year. Lets hope we get top goaltending from Lou.. Maybe AV showed him some of Quicks highlights?

yeah no doubt about it.. SOB for Conn Smythe.. or maybe the Lady Byng ? ;)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Ridleyfan
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Ridleyfan »

Does high sticking still count as a penalty?! :evil:
The leaves: Longest running sitcom since Seinfeld.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Can we just put a Kings jersey on Alberts and get it over with?
patriksunstrom
AHL Prospect

Post by patriksunstrom »

http://patriksunstrom.blogspot.com/2010 ... ame-2.html

1st Period 20:00 – Not sure if its by design or technical difficulty but CBC lets the fans do the intro. No voiceovers, no ice-level reporter yelling over the crowd. Nice touch.

1st Period 19:58 – After a shot of the Odds opening the game with a riff in the Best Buy lounge, Jim Hughson opens with the line “Odds are, this is going to be a pretty good game…” thank you Hughie, glad you’re here all week.

1st Period 14:41 – after the whistler Dustin Brown shoves Jannik Hansen and I am pretty sure I saw him mouth the words, “weren’t you the barista who served my Starbucks this morning?”

1st Period 12:26 - the good news? Canucks score on the PP. The bad news? Its Steve Bernier with a JOTS (Jonny on the spot) which means he will probably stay on PP2.

1st Period 11:41 – Can someone tell me when Ric Flair became an official Canucks spokesman? Still on the fence on how I feel about the “Woooo!” after each goal announcement but leaning toward the “dislike” camp.

1st Period 9:51 – 2 – bagel. The always dangerous swagger-buzz creeps into GM Place.

1st Period 5:01 – Shane O’Brien rags the puck ona nifty breakout, doing his best to lose his nickname “Chloe”

1st Period 2:49 - Andrew Alberts with his second penalty of the game. [Ed note: note sure why I logged this…perhaps coincidental foreshawdowing for 13:42 of the 3rd]

1st Period 1:15- Save by Luongo, scrum ensues. Triangle triangle triangle

2nd Period 12:12 – shot of Terry Murray behind the bench; but the real story here is the gentleman behind him with the Affliction sweatshirt and necklace that looks like a golden dog leash. You can bet he will have that same seat when UFC comes to town in a few months.

2nd Period 10:42 – Craig Simpson and Jim Hughson discuss “Face punchabilty” citing Rich Clume as the top of the their list. Let’s revisit this list a little later..

2nd Period 9:45 – in minor hockey, you learn quickly that wet hockey gear stinks. But there is a tolerable threshold and the there is a transcendent level of stench that only a few kids are able to pull off. By the looks of Ryan Smyth’s chinstrap in High Definition, he was THAT kid

2nd Period 9:05 – 2-1 goal.

2nd Period 8:27 – 2-2. Ouch.

2nd Period 1:20 – Another Canucks PP. Is it me or are the green guys not on their game tonight? Seems like the top green guy is more concerned about how his junk looks on national TV

2nd Intermission– Frank D’Angelo has personally gone out of his way to ensure I never buy a Cheetah drink

3rd Period 15:56 – little brew-ha-ha ensues as Samuelsson gets a shoulder to the chest at mid-ice by the vodka-guy Stolli. More notably though, brings up one of my biggest pet peeves; camera men who, as soon as the whistle blows, push the camera to the sky, as if to say “play has stopped, therefore field of play does not need to be filmed, and I can now scratch my itch”
While we are here, the other broadcast pet peeves a) not replaying fights in slow motion enough, and b) cameramen with low hockey IQ, awestruck by the puck and all too often miss big checks that are delivered after the puck has been passed.

13:42 – Andrew Albertsss third penalty. Hopefully that solidifies his spot in the press box at the Staples Centre. Maybe he should go back to the Canadian Tire team from which he came.

18:52 – Kopitar bangs home a knob-gobbler of a goal. CBC pans to the Kings press box where Kings management celebrate. Which leaves me with only one question heading into Game 3…why did they rename the Superbowl trophy after the Kings GM?
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

i dont know how....but i guarentee that the OT goal was Alberts fault.....i swear if that guy costs us the series i will literally find that guy and beat the hell outta him
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

A couple of things:

[*]The penalty in OT was bogus, but the boys put themselves in that predicament with bone-headed penalties. The PK wasn't bad, but you give them that many chances and they will score eventually.

[*]If I ever see Alberts in Canucks colours again, it will be too soon. He's a bust even for a 7th round pick, let alone a 3rd.

[*]I'm not ragging on the twins, but they put one too many thoughts into their game last night. That said, if Doughty didn't break up that pass, then I wouldn't be saying this more than likely.

[*]Can someone - anyone - give me a reason why Demitra and not Raymond isn't patrolling Kesler's wing, other than MG wants his old buddy client on the 2nd line?

[*]Kesler elevated his game, but he was the only one to noticeably do so last night.

[*]Can I call Colin Campbell to suspend Alberts indefintately for the good of his team? Maybe he can find something on Demitra too...

[*]The bumping and crashing on Luongo has to stop and the refs have to start calling it. Yes Luongo's aggressive with his space, but so is just about every other goalie in the playoffs. Thing is, with LA being one of Bettman's big southern market darling's if one of our guys even blows on Quick and he'll be looking at a suspension. Either the refs start calling it our AV should send Rypien or Bernier on a cannonball run at Quick to make a point.

[*]All else aside, Salo doesn't blow a tire at the LA Blueline and there's a good chance this never would have went to OT. As they say, this is a game of inches
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Alberts: have we ever had a more useless player suit up for the playoffs? Ever?

We have to expect the reffing to atrocious. The team needs to compensate for that by playing smarter (and getting Alberts off the ice). We match up pretty good against this team, but need to take advantage of our opportunities - they're doing a great job of that.

I'd like to see Rypper make someone pay for being in the crease.

Luongo is playing much better than the end of the regular season - thankfully.

We need to roll four lines.

If don't have anyone to replace Alberts, can we just put a jersey on a cone?

I still think we have a good chance in this series - and it's far from over.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Cornuck wrote:If don't have anyone to replace Alberts, can we just put a jersey on a cone?
Pretty sure Baumgartner can hold the fort until Rome is ready to go....man where is Mitchell?!?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

That`s why they play series folks. These games happen.

That too many men penalty was bullshit considering what happened with the Wings in game 3.

I think the refs need to go back to school.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde