Canucks @ San Jose - 7:30 - Snet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Canucks @ San Jose - 7:30 - Snet

Post by Cornuck »

We have nothing to prove, the Sharks are going for the Conference title.

With a couple of good games, Henrik can take the scoring title and break Bure's team record of 110 points. Yes, Henrik says he doesn't care - but maybe he'll do it for the fans...

I'll also be keeping an eye on Phoenix/LA tonight - I'm more worried about who finishes 6th than anything else right now.

Should see Raycroft tonight - and this could be last game as a Canuck. I hope he's got a new jump in his career and goes on to be the goalie of his Calder year.

NHL.com Preview
THN.com TooT

GO CANUCKS GO!

22 SEDIN POWER 33
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: Canucks @ San Jose - 7:30 - Snet

Post by the toucan kid »

I didn't think Raycroft had the attitude to be a backup from the way he acted in TO, but he's filled the role with aplomb and I wouldn't mind seeing him brought back if Schneider isn't in the plans.

We suck in the Shark Tank, and will probably get obliterated tonight. Don't get your knickers in a knot thought folks, this is the team we're going with and there's nothing that's going to change about it.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

If Gillis doesn't deal Schneider this off season, to me, it's disrespecting Schneider, i know i know, he's our asset, but we owe it to him to give him a shot.

With goaltending trouble around the league, and Minnesota seemingly happy with holding on to Harding as 1A/1B with Backstrom, Schneider might just be the best option out there, unless teams want to try Raycroft again.. (Which, Philly might, honestly)
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Disagree completely. First off, the Canucks don't owe Schneider anything, they have to do whats best for the club. If that involves moving him for an attractive asset then sobeit. Moving him to another team doesn't necessarily grant him a better situation anyways. What if Luongo has indeed lost his mojo longterm? Contract or no contract the Canucks are going to need a plan B and that may even involve following the Minnesota model you described of a 1a and 1b rotation scenerio. Furthermore, Schneider does not have maximum value right now as his stock probably dipped from last summer coming off the AHL goalie of the year award and a deep playoff run. The best situation for the Canucks and Schneider is for him to support Luongo next season and prove he can play at this level. At that situation all parties involved will have a better grasp on the situation and he should also be able to fetch a larger return a la Mike Smith when he was in Dallas.

The Canucks have *some* depth at goal but not alot. If they were in a situation where they had 2 promising goalies they could make a move from a position of strength....consider if Luongo gets hurt for a long period, it would be good to have a competent goaltender you could ride for awhile. Now if Raycroft signed a contract extension at reasonable money then yes I'd agree Schneider should probably be moved. How much do you think Toronto regrets trading Tuuka Rask at this point? ...I'm not even referring to the fact Raycroft came back the other way but rather that they obviously felt Justin Pogge was the better prospect. Oops.

What is the market for Schneider right now? I think its probably luke warm....what would we need in return? A similar calibre "prospect" at a different position? meh. Goaltenders in demand generally fetch more in return than any other position. What would we have gotten in return for Schneider if he was traded the day Luongo came here (like so many in the media were screaming for)? The kid is ready to make the jump so as far as I'm concerned Gillis should commit to Raycroft or giving Cory his shot. If he can play 20 games for us that drops Luongo down to a reasonable 62 and perhaps he'd be more effective in that range, he'd certainly be better rested. I know from speaking to one Canucks scout that the main reason Raycroft made the team over Schneider was money/cap hit plain and simple. Its a business folks and Schneider is an asset/card up Gillis' sleeve. He'll make his move when and if the time is right for the team.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

just get henrik the damn puck. i dont care if we win or lose. gimme that damn scoring title
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Clam, with all due respect, if Luongo has no mojo then what are we arguing about all this time? This is a complete junk organization if Luongo is shit, so if that's the premise, we might as well rip the thing down. However, we have money locked in the Twins and Lou, so it's live and die by them. We're never reasonably going to have a 1a/1b model with our salary structure.
trouble

Post by trouble »

WOW.. I really hope the Canucks are just coasting cause if this is the team we are going into the playoff with.. It will be real short..
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

trouble wrote:WOW.. I really hope the Canucks are just coasting cause if this is the team we are going into the playoff with.. It will be real short..
Agreed - I missed the first, but the 2nd was just horrible.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Cornuck wrote:
trouble wrote:WOW.. I really hope the Canucks are just coasting cause if this is the team we are going into the playoff with.. It will be real short..
Agreed - I missed the first, but the 2nd was just horrible.

Well, at least we won't be entering the playoffs with high expectations.
It'll be a lot easier to take when we lose in the 1st or 2nd round.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

WOW.. I really hope the Canucks are just coasting cause if this is the team we are going into the playoff with.. It will be real short..
Don't know what you saw along the way to expect otherwise...
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Looks like Bieksa is in some fisticuffs etc. at the end of the game... yeehaw
Ridleyfan
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Ridleyfan »

How many teams will this make it that Steve Bernier's played himself off of?

This guy has been set up to succeed everywhere hew's gone, and nothing. (My stupid delete key won't work, hence the w.)

And I wouldn't lose sleep if we don't have Wellwood next year. His brain doesn't seem to have told his hands when the games are.

Anybody else notice how much smaller Nabokov's chest and arm protector is than Luongo's? I'm a goalie, and one of my goalie buddies went to a larger c/a and taller pads this year, and it's completely messed him up. He used to battle, now he looks good being scored on. Technically sound, but no mobility. Give me mobility versus blocking surface ANY day. I can't remember the last trulkyGREAT desperation save Luongo made. He looks "locked in", even compared to Raycroft.
The leaves: Longest running sitcom since Seinfeld.
trouble

Post by trouble »

Well.. The Ending was alot better then the Start.. I have to give the Canucks Credit they did play most of the game with their top 4 d-men out...

Samuelsson was on the ice for all 4 goal against... Lets hope he can get his game back and fast

Once again AV did not have a good game plan for his players and forgot the Canucks were playing the Sharks for the 3rd time in a month and didn't dress any toughness.WTF. Am i the only who see's what a Turd AV is ???? Once again the Canucks were getting screwed By the ref earlier and AV stood there with that stupid grin while Bowness was going nuts on the ref. Isn't that AV's job?????

I really hope they Rest Lou for the last game.. Playing him will only make it worse.. The guy needs rest.. But knowing AV he will throw him in there while the Canucks coast through another game and Give Lou no d-help. Let Lou set his sites on the playoffs.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

trouble wrote: I really hope they Rest Lou for the last game.. Playing him will only make it worse.. The guy needs rest.. But knowing AV he will throw him in there while the Canucks coast through another game and Give Lou no d-help. Let Lou set his sites on the playoffs.
Missing Salo, Erhoff and Mitchell... and O'Brien. What would one expect.

Against Calgary Salo will be back, and maybe Erhoff, depending on his injury. It will be more of a tune up for the playoffs, so they will have more jump.

Can't fault anyone for not getting up for a mean-nothing game. But at some point they will need to turn it back on. But either way, if Mitchell doesn't return when we need him we're not going too deep. Unless Lou stands on his head, but while I think he will be above average in the playoffs, I don't know if there will be any head-standing (especially with this D).
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

you guys act like this wasnt expected.....when your top dmen playing are bieksa, deadler, and SOB and your back up in with nothing to inspire them, i saw it coming a mile away. didnt exactly expect the 3rd period shenanigans but who cares, we'll be fine
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson