GDT: Canucks host the Sabres - 7pm - Snet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: Canucks host the Sabres - 7pm - Snet

Post by woodhog »

Man, I can't believe the standard of officiating these days. It used to be that the officials were seldom wrong, even with only one Ref.
Now the Refs are blowing calls every game.
That Kerry Fraser call was completely ridiculous. Obviously he recognized that and made a makeup call on Kesler which was almost as bad as the no goal call.
Well, at least the calls seem to be going both ways.

Another pretty impressive game by the whole team. Nice to see Lukowich get one ... what an amazing pass from Dank!
Hanks goal blew me away too.

One more home game then "the trip". It'll be almost imperrative to get 2 more pts from St Louis while still at home.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

LotusBlossom wrote:During the intermission there was a Q n A session in the suite I was in with Mike Gillis and Francesco Aquillini. I wonder what they will edit for Canucks TV. I asked about Willie Mitchell and Kesler's contract negotiations. Looks like they are priority but he did say they will wait until the end of the season to talk.
That's good news, assuming he means both Kesler and Mitchell are priorities to re-sign. It's hard not to get excited about the possibility of cutting loose Salo, BXA and Mitchell given how well the #7, 8, and 9 options have performed during these last two games; but I think Mitchell is a must to re-sign, and Salo and BXA are still under contract through 2011. Speaking of which, Ehrhoff is also an UFA in 2011.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

It used to be that the officials were seldom wrong, even with only one Ref.
You must be a fair bit older than I am. :lol:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:It's hard not to get excited about the possibility of cutting loose Salo, BXA and Mitchell given how well the #7, 8, and 9 options have performed during these last two games; but I think Mitchell is a must to re-sign, and Salo and BXA are still under contract through 2011. Speaking of which, Ehrhoff is also an UFA in 2011.
I would say "Lucky" is a fare more adequate term. The fact that we haven't been torched with our defensive injuries is surprising, and a happy one at that. However, O'Brien has shown some signs that he isn't capable of playing top-4 minutes recently. I don't have a problem with Lukowich/Rome sitting 6/7. But a lineup consisting of Ehrhoff, Edler, O'Brien, Rome, Lukowich and Baumgartner isn't going to win you a playoff series, and has to rank as one of the worst in hockey on paper.

Credit Luongo and our offense (cough Sedins cough) for us being able to win some games. The "D" has played as well as can possibly be expected, and I'm not sure how much more it can last. Anyone that is keen to jettison our currently injured players isn't looking at the big picture.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

In previous years, these injuries to the D would have killed us. But two things happened.

1) We've become one of the top scoring teams in the league and don't have to worry about letting in an extra goal or two.

2) Gillis went on a D-man buying spree this summer. We thought he was nuts, but he held on to all of them and they've been a big reason why we're still near the top of the standings.

Since Gillis ordered AV to get off his defense-first style, he can be considered fully responsible for what's happening now (of course the players have a little to do with it).

This wouldn't have happened under Burke or Crawford. They couldn't make the adjustments fast enough.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."