GDT: Canucks @ Flames - 7pm CBC-HD

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Flames - 7pm CBC-HD

Postby dr.dork » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:15 pm

Kel wrote:
the toucan kid wrote:With that in mind though, SOB looks like shit and better pick it up quick.

I'm not sure why SOB gets singled out as I remember more mistakes from Edler and Bieksa. Maybe even Salo made more mistakes than SOB. The first penalty of the game was a borderline call. He didn't really stick out his elbow but it was a bit of a headshot followthrough with his forearm. I'd be more concerned if the big minutes guys like Edler and Bieksa ever play like that again.

I missed the first period but caught the low lights. SOB (and everyone else) will make mistakes, but SOB is expected to hit, fight, and play tough. He will get his penalties and as long as they are not blatantly stupid (his wasn't last night IMO) then we will just have to kill them off. I thought Phaneuf should have got a penalty (and a beating) for elbowing a Sedin in the head, but whatever. What comes around goes around.

It was a bit of a weird game. Calgary totally dominated for portions of the second, but Vancouver completely dominated parts of the second and the whole third period. I thought Bieksa made a big mistake on the last goal. He backed out of the way while the Calgary player walked right in front of Luongo (although Lou could have had that one).

Probably a good wake up call. This mode of playing (20 minute efforts) started about 4 preseason games ago. Sooner or later you need to remember that you really do need to work for 60 minutes.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Jelly » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:24 pm

It is just really painful when fact is, the refs helped the Flames gain a 3-0 lead which basically ended the game.
It's worse when you are surrounded by Flames fans and they scream at your face about how everyone thought they sucked, and how Phaneuf is the best player ever.

I just don't really get all the hype about Phaneuf, he's a plyon, he's a defensive liability, and he gets away with cheap shots at people because of his said hype.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby woodhog » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

I'm hearing alot of whining about the refs and crying about Phaneuf but the fact is that the Canucks only showed up for about half the game and Kipper outplayed Luongo for most of the game. Either they all play for 60 minutes or we'll see more games like this.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Jelly » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:15 pm

you can't play your game when you have to kill a penalty every time your team gains momentum.

that's a fact.

and if you are defending phaneuf, then i'm guessing you also place him on team canada too?
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby the toucan kid » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:21 am

I'm not sure why SOB gets singled out as I remember more mistakes from Edler and Bieksa. Maybe even Salo made more mistakes than SOB. The first penalty of the game was a borderline call. He didn't really stick out his elbow but it was a bit of a headshot followthrough with his forearm. I'd be more concerned if the big minutes guys like Edler and Bieksa ever play like that again.

I'm certainly not beaming with the play of the guys you mentioned. Like I said, everyone sucked. SOB gets singled out because he's a borderline player and looked like someone who shouldn't be in the NHL last night. It wasn't even so much mistakes, as he was scrambling to keep up, and didn't appear to understand what was going on around him.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Postby woodhog » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:57 pm

Jelly wrote:you can't play your game when you have to kill a penalty every time your team gains momentum.

that's a fact.

and if you are defending phaneuf, then i'm guessing you also place him on team canada too?

So it's the refs fault that the Canucks took 3 penalties in the first period? SOB threw an elbow and got a penalty. Henrik got his stick on a Flame player and got a penalty. Burrows got his stick up in the hands of a Flamer and got a penalty. All 3 penalties are routinely called in the league these days.
Tell me when the Canucks were gaining momentum in the first period. They played horribly the entire first half of the game.
They were only shorthanded for 6 minutes out of 60...not even 6 minutes because Calgary scored during two of their PPs.
I just don't think it's fair to blame anyone other than the Canucks for this loss. Like I said, Kipper was a huge reason also.

As for Phaneuf, I'm not defending him. I'm just not crying about him and infering that he and his "hype" was (along with the refs) the reason the Canucks lost.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:11 pm

The Burrows call was horseshit. That was all stick.

The Phaneuf hit was an elbow/hit to the head/high hit. His empty net goal was certainly the result of a pick.

Those are statements that don't put blame on the Canucks loss on the refs or Phaneuf, but it is fair to say we got the wrong end of the whistle in that game. It's a long season and hopefully we'll see more games where it goes our way and not vice-versa.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby woodhog » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:27 pm

The replay on the Burrows penalty showed that he didn't get the hands but it was really close and if the ref was looking at it from the right angle it may have looked different. If Burrows doesn't put his stick in a position to be mistaken by the ref there would be no penalty. Refs don't have the benefit of replays like we do.
Yes the Phaneuf hit was high and his EN goal was the result of a pick.
Usually the calls even out more or less over the season.
I understand the frustration of every Canuck fan but put the blame where it belongs - with the team.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Jelly » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:06 pm

Here's an idea, 4 out side of the rink secondary referees, call them cornerman or something, who would be able to see a better angle of things, they can't call penalties, but they can waive off a penalty.

That way, some dumbass ref from the other end of the rink decides to call a hooking, like this afternoon, where the Avs player was the one that held the stick and then fell, would get called for diving instead of a Canucks PK for nothing.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Previous

Return to Game Day Forum