GDT: R2G1 - Canucks host Hawks - 4/30 - 6PM | CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

GDT: R2G1 - Canucks host Hawks - 4/30 - 6PM | CBC, VS

Postby Cornuck » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:02 am

I don't care if I'm a day early - it's been too damned long!

Round 2 features a team we were running against in the last few week of the regular season. When the Canucks showed that just qualifying wasn't enough, they went after the Hawks for 4th place. Thankfully they weren't in our division and we overtook the doused Flames instead. Consider that we were on a great run, but they ended up with more points.

We won the last 2 meetings, including a hard fought 4-0 Canucks victory, during which Dustin Byfuglien started a line brawl when he punched Luongo. The Canucks will have to look for more cheap shots in the series, as the theory is our team is a goalie with 5 random skaters in front of him.

We are rested - almost too rested. I expect the team to come out a little flat, but should be awake by the 2nd period. Of course the big question is, was the layoff long enough to effect Luongo's sharpness? We can expect him to have a little rust as well in game one. The only edge in goaltending that Hawks have is in nicknames. "Bulin Wall" wins over "Bobby Lu" any time.

Both teams are bruised, battered, but not injured with the exception of Sopel for the Hawks (who is out on IR). The Hawks young guns will have to dig deep, but our guys also have little experience at this level.

This will be a great series, but the edge has to go the Canucks with the better D, better goaltending, and the ability to roll four lines when they need to.

THN.com TooT
Canucks.com Game Notes
TSN.ca Matchup
Globe & Mail Article
Round 2 Wallpaper
(CTRL+Click to open in a new window)

GO CANUCKS GO!!
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT: R2G1 - Canucks host Hawks - 4/30 - 6PM | CBC, VS

Postby nucks_girl » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:55 am

Well, thank God someone made the thread, because I was just waiting for it to pop up! Geez, it's been over a week and I've got Canucks withdrawal like no one's business.

I fully expect the boys to come out in the first period trying to get a feel for the game again, and wouldn't be surprised if we're down a goal. Totally agree with Cornuck that they'll be up and back to normal in the second period. I have a feeling Bieksa is ready to just pummel someone because he's frustrated from not having played for so long. Hopefully he doesn't cross the line and get a penalty.

I'm expecting the Chi forwards to be getting in Luongo's face, and I just hope they don't get too close. But I'm sure the refs will be right there keeping a close eye on what's happening. That's what Vigneault wanted when he was complaining about guys taking a run at Lou, and me thinks he'll get it.

I'm hoping the D can box out Chi like they did St. Louis, but these kids have some wheels on them. They're going to have an adrenaline rush from winning the first round, but I'm sure our boys will punish them a bit, hopefully take the wind out of their sails there.

My prediction - Canucks win 3 - 2. Chicago has some great chances in the last minutes of the game, but Lou stands on his head.
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Postby Island Nucklehead » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:15 am

I don't think these new kids experienced much shut down ability against the Flames. Couple that with a better goalie and we have a great chance.

Say hello to Willie, Patrick... his 12 foot stick will poke, slash, and cross check you until you cry like Savard was fired all over again.

If Byfuglien wants to take a run at Luongo I'm sure the Canucks will have some takers. O'Brien can be a wild man. Personally, I'd give him the green light to go absolutely mental the first time that mess tries to run Lou. Then on the next shift I'd send Hordi out there to smash right into 'Bulin. Forget waiting until the end of the game to send a message, send the message in the first period.

4-2 Nucks. Seabrook and Sharpe for them. Bieksa, Burrows, Sundin (2) for us.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby Cornuck » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:19 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:Forget waiting until the end of the game to send a message, send the message in the first period.

I agree, hit first, talk later. Take some dumb penalties if they have to. Then the refs will 'take control of the game' and we can settle down. This will be like Game 1 with STL, lots of penalties, no rhythm. Instead of snow plowing, Chicago will run Luongo. Make them pay - early and hard.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby LotusBlossom » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:27 am

nucks_girl wrote:Well, thank God someone made the thread, because I was just waiting for it to pop up! Geez, it's been over a week and I've got Canucks withdrawal like no one's business.

I fully expect the boys to come out in the first period trying to get a feel for the game again, and wouldn't be surprised if we're down a goal. Totally agree with Cornuck that they'll be up and back to normal in the second period. I have a feeling Bieksa is ready to just pummel someone because he's frustrated from not having played for so long. Hopefully he doesn't cross the line and get a penalty.

I am hoping for the Canucks to get settled about half way through the 1st period. It will probably be a team up by one or tied going into the second. Yeah I've been itching for Canucks hockey as well. I'm glad it's back tomorrow. :D

I'm expecting the Chi forwards to be getting in Luongo's face, and I just hope they don't get too close. But I'm sure the refs will be right there keeping a close eye on what's happening. That's what Vigneault wanted when he was complaining about guys taking a run at Lou, and me thinks he'll get it.

I'm hoping the D can box out Chi like they did St. Louis, but these kids have some wheels on them. They're going to have an adrenaline rush from winning the first round, but I'm sure our boys will punish them a bit, hopefully take the wind out of their sails there.

Yes they were in Kipper's face a lot but I believe with the Canucks' D, they will be able to keep Luongo's sight lines clear and will crash in enough to keep the Hawks at bay. Calgary's defense was weak due to starters being out of the line up. I also feel that overall, Vancouver has a better defensive core than the Flames.

My prediction - Canucks win 3 - 2. Chicago has some great chances in the last minutes of the game, but Lou stands on his head.

I think it will be a close game as well. 3-2, in regulation. Sundin with the winner ;).

Look for the Canucks to dominate in face-offs and in hits.
Didn't you know?I'm Front Page news! ;)
LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby DonCherry4PM » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:00 am

Cornuck wrote:We are rested - almost too rested. I expect the team to come out a little flat, but should be awake by the 2nd period. Of course the big question is, was the layoff long enough to effect Luongo's sharpness? We can expect him to have a little rust as well in game one. The only edge in goaltending that Hawks have is in nicknames. "Bulin Wall" wins over "Bobby Lu" any time.

Name or not, Khabilbullin is no match for Luongo. Bobby Lu and the boys in blue are going to make like its 1989 and dismantle the Bulin Wall. As for the rest, I don't think Luongo has let his intensity down, I think he will show he has maintained focus and put forward yet another impressive demonstration of goaltending.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Postby Cornuck » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:29 am

I hope the Hawks are as over-confident as their fans are. :oops:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Broda » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:22 pm

OH BOY!!!!
Can't wait for game one. I kinda believe the nucks are going to come out flying and take it to them. I really think the Calgary series was nothing as to what this series is going to be physically for the hawks. Hopefully Rypper, Hordi and RJ can set the tone on the first shift. Show the hawks that the lay off only fueled the passion to get back out there and win some games.
3-1 game one Lu is going to be solid, very solid.

Got a new wallpaper up if you haven't already jumped on Cornucks.

http://www.ryanbroda.com/Gallery/CanucksHawks.jpg
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Cornuck » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:00 pm

Broda wrote:
Got a new wallpaper up

Nice one!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby the toucan kid » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:37 pm

Am I the only one FULLY expecting the Hawks to fold like a cheap tent and for this to be an even easier (although probably longer) series than the last one?
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Postby the Cunning Linguist » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:37 pm

the toucan kid wrote:Am I the only one FULLY expecting the Hawks to fold like a cheap tent and for this to be an even easier (although probably longer) series than the last one?

Yes.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby the toucan kid » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:47 am

Maybe it's just my ungrateful shell being unable to contain the surge of optimism I'm experiencing then...
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Postby Amazon Canuck » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:51 am

I predicted 4-2 win for Vancouver in the other forum. I think the energy at GM is really going to seep into the Canucks' play tonight and they'll dominate offensively.

Anyone predict a line brawl tonight? :lol:
Amazon Canuck
CC Rookie

Postby Cornuck » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:23 am

Amazon Canuck wrote:Anyone predict a line brawl tonight? :lol:

Maybe THISwill be a preview of game 1?

And for those that missed the brawl last month.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby LotusBlossom » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:29 am

Cornuck wrote:
Amazon Canuck wrote:Anyone predict a line brawl tonight? :lol:

Maybe THISwill be a preview of game 1?

And for those that missed the brawl last month.

Na na na na...Na na na na....HEY HEY HEY...Goodbye!
Didn't you know?I'm Front Page news! ;)
LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Next

Return to Game Day Forum