GDT: GAME 4 - Canucks @ St. Louis - 5PM - CBC, 1040,

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

GDT: GAME 4 - Canucks @ St. Louis - 5PM - CBC, 1040,

Postby Cornuck » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:37 am

Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @ St. Louis - 5PM - CBC, 1040,

Postby Cornuck » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:47 am

As a Canucks fan, it's very hard to be confident. After years of letdowns and failure - I've always found difficult to be 100% confident about our team.

This year I know one thing. If we lose in the playoffs, it will be to a much superior team who will go on to win the Cup. We will not shoot ourselves in the foot. We will not come up short in a game 7. Whatever this team has, I want some.

I want to this team to build even more confidence with a sweep tonight. The other series look like they'll be short ones, so this team needs to get as much, if not more, rest than the others. So far the injury gods are smiling, and w can only continue praying.

I'm sure that AV will not let the boys relax on this one. I hope they all know the importance of this game.

And with that said....

GO CANUCKS GO!!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @ St. Louis - 5PM - CBC, 1040,

Postby the Cunning Linguist » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:54 am

Nice... The Original Slew-Foot... And because Vancouver has never swept a team in a seven game series before...
http://www.youtube.com/v/ssAvULPzuzg&hl=en&fs=1

Hey, it may be the only chance to call a sweep! :twisted:

I can't help but like our chances to see a sweep. I thought it was critical for this team to get the first goal in each game, but after watching them claw back in Game 3, I think anything is possible. Also, I think our depth of experience on d is just too much for St. Louis to overcome, and certainly not enough to win 4 straight games.

Fuh-Xaint Louis.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: GAME 4 - Canucks @ St. Louis - 5PM - CBC, 1040,

Postby Arachnid » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:23 am

This team is sticking to it's game plan like no other. Everyone is doing their role.

One game at a time, sweep or no.

Spidey rides again!
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby Larry Goodenough » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:47 am

Let's predict which ECHL team Crombeen will be playing for next year after the Blues are swept tonite.

That's where the stupid guys who get pushed to the ice by 170 lb Mason Raymond types end up.

I will say Fresno.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby nucks_girl » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:49 am

Yay for games being on HD! Seriously, I'm gonna go buy a crapload of groceries from SOF this weekend lol.

I'm cautiously optimistic I guess. Basically like Cornuck said. But I am sure this series will not go beyond 5 games. It would be nice to just get this over with so we can rest for a bit and let any minor tweaks heal up before the next round.

Unfortunately I'll be home a bit late today. Got some deadlines at work :evil: but I'll be recording the game at home and catching up, so I can at least forward those BRUTAL commercials CBC keeps making us watch. Bah.

Go Canucks Go!!!!!

Edit: Also, I find it odd that the Canucks are playing their 4th game tonight while the SJS-Ana and Det-CBJ series are playing their 3rd games tonight. I know they're fiddling around with the schedule to maximize their Saturday night games, but that's just silly. Where's our Saturday game?????
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Postby DonCherry4PM » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:32 am

Larry Goodenough wrote:Let's predict which ECHL team Crombeen will be playing for next year after the Blues are swept tonite.

That's where the stupid guys who get pushed to the ice by 170 lb Mason Raymond types end up.

I will say Fresno.

I noticed that as well and got a good chuckle. Nice to see Raymond with a little fire - enough stand up to a 6-2 212 lb.er. Anyway, while in some ways I am a little equivocal with regard to the potential to lose momentum given a sweep, it would be nice to see this team go for the jugular and take a little time to heal up before the next series, as whoever it is, it's likely to be tougher. Also don't want to see the blues get their foot in the door or get any sort of hope.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Postby the toucan kid » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:57 am

Raymond handling Crombeen was one of my favorite moment of the series thus far.

I'm worried about the time off Luongo will end up getting... he's in such a groove. That said, like Hrudey was saying, if Luongo is on he trumps anything another team can throw at him right now.

Doubt Sundin will play, doubt Kariya will play (why bother?), but hope the time off helps #13.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Postby dr.dork » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:19 am

the toucan kid wrote:Raymond handling Crombeen was one of my favorite moment of the series thus far.

Me too. I also liked the fact Wellwood didn't run away and hide after Backes repeatedly gave him the lumber.

Here is what I am currently hoping for (and I have taken matters into my own hands by sacrificing a few chickens):

1. We sweep up tonight. When they are down, go for the jugular. Someone in the press will declare "The Canucks are SMOKIN'" and we all know what that really means.
2. Anaheim beats San Jose in the series but it goes 7 games and gets rough.
3. Chicago and Calgary goes to 7 games and it gets rough. Everyone is hurt or hurting. I don't care who wins the series.
4. Detroit is going to handle Columbus. Probably in 4 or 5. (Need to have some bit of reality in my hopes).

We then play Chicago or Calgary in the second round.

If we win that one, Farhan will change his .sig to "I predicted the Canucks would make the western final in '09".

Go Canucks Go
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby the toucan kid » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:52 am

I'm hoping for the same scenario dork. The only problem is that I feel if Anaheim is going to win, they will have to do it quickly. San Jose would have to take it up a notch to stretch it to seven at this point, meaning (probably) their best players find their game. That's a tough team if everyone is playing to their ability, it's just many of us knew all along that they wouldn't do it.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Postby Sid Dithers » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:10 pm

It's generally in the Canuck nature to only be able to do something big when their backs are to the wall, or the media knives are out. Since neither factors are in play tonight, I would be very impressed to see them bear down, get at it 100% for 60 minutes and wrap it up tonight. But I kinda think that old, lazy habits die hard, so they're gonna let St. Louis off the hook and wait for Game 5 to take it seriously. Hope I'm wrong.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby dr.dork » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:32 pm

the toucan kid wrote:I'm hoping for the same scenario dork. The only problem is that I feel if Anaheim is going to win, they will have to do it quickly. San Jose would have to take it up a notch to stretch it to seven at this point, meaning (probably) their best players find their game. That's a tough team if everyone is playing to their ability, it's just many of us knew all along that they wouldn't do it.

Hmm, yes, a fly in the ointment. If it goes the distance my money would be on San Jose to win game 7.

Let me revise my hopes to make them more realistic (the chickens are lookin' a bit nervous):

o Anaheim wins in fairly easy fashion (5 games or maybe 6...).
o Anaheim beats up Detroit in the second round and THAT goes 7 games. Detroit wins but they are bruised, bloody, hurt, and Osgood gets pulled early in the series.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dr.dork » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:23 pm

Wellwood ! 1-0 'nucks.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Cornuck » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:42 pm

Did I just see Edler make the save of his career? :shock: The feed came on just as they showed the replay.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby the toucan kid » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:04 pm

Please tell me they are just being cautious with Salo because we have this one in the bag... Having him on the back end is crucial.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Next

Return to Game Day Forum