GDT: GAME 2 - Canucks host Blues - 7pm - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

GDT: GAME 2 - Canucks host Blues - 7pm - CBC, VS

Postby Cornuck » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:49 am

Game 1 didn't really show what either team was capable of, since the Refs decided they needed to be the first 2 stars of the game. Yes - the players got 'the message' - hopefully they'll be able to play a real game tonight.

I think the Canucks did a much better job on special teams than originally predicted. Killing the 5 on 3 was important. Personally, I think the Blues are looking for the 'perfect shot' to get it past Luongo and are a little gun shy. Maybe tonight they'll fire more on net (their only goal came off a big rebound).

The Blues will continue plying their weak strategy of spraying snow at Luongo. :roll:
The Canucks will continue their strategy of winning.

NHL.com Preview
Canucks.com Game Notes
Game 1 Video

GO CANUCKS GO!
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT: GAME 2 - Canucks host Blues - 7pm - CBC, VS

Postby the toucan kid » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:10 am

Call me crazy, but if we win tonight, it's over. Yeah I know 2-0 leads usually mean that much, but if we take it tonight, 5 games is the longest this will go.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Postby levelheaded » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:16 am

the toucan kid wrote:Call me crazy, but if we win tonight, it's over. Yeah I know 2-0 leads usually mean that much, but if we take it tonight, 5 games is the longest this will go.

I'd wager that would be the case as well, but we went 3-1 down to them in 02/03 before they got a horrible case of the flu and rolled over. Anything can happen in the playoffs, so you never know.

I think we'll win tonight. I predicted a loss in game 1 so obviously we'll lose tonight, but whatever.

4-2 Canucks. Bernier, Raymond, Sundin and Henrik. Mats with 2 points and a dominating performance silencing a number of critics. Backes and McDonald for them.

GO CANUCKS GO
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Postby Brian CC » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:20 am

I managed to get my hands on a single ticket for tonights game. If anyone here is going and wants to meet for a beer, PM me. You can also find me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/CanucksCorner
Brian CC
Site Admin

Postby Cookie La Rue » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:49 pm

Brian CC wrote:If anyone here is going and wants to meet for a beer .....

I wanted but i missed the flight, sorry. :mrgreen:

Have fun buddy, there's a lot of goin' tonight.

I'm already pumped up for game 2, if they 'll win and i'm convinced they'll do,it's a nice starting position for being away. :mex:

ps: I don't care a lot if they're winning and Sundin isn't showing on the scoreboard... ;)

Go Canucks Go
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Postby Cornuck » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:42 pm

Catching parts of the vid online, listening on 1040, but this is a totally different game that the first.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby the toucan kid » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:30 pm

This series is over. So take 'em to Missouri Matt, go grab at least one and end this thing.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Postby Cornuck » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:39 pm

1 goal in 4 games - this team is on a mission.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Linden Is God » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:49 pm

Well my neighbour has stopped talking to me now. I'm loving this. I'm feeling very confident in this team.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby levelheaded » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:52 pm

Well that was fantastic. Mats wasn't exactly dominating but he had a goal and was a noticeable player whenever he was on the ice. A two nothing series lead? I wouldn't have predicted that. Let's roll into Missouri and kick ass baby!
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Postby Cookie La Rue » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:17 pm

The goalie was god as usual. :mrgreen:

But who ever has expected the weak old man to score the gwg ? Nice left eye btw, heard it happened in training lesson yesterday, good job, nice practice. :rockin:

I feel new born again, when was the last time this team had so much hope ?
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Postby Broda » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:26 pm

WOW... that was incredible.. those four minutes during the first period where the canucks just came in waves, that was just amazing. Such an incredible game to watch.. as a fan stand point. There is no way you are a hockey fan and don't enjoy that game.
Lu is playing out of his head right now, and having three lines that could potentially score... WOW.. im so pumped. Bring on Game 3. This has been a tremendous series thus far.

GO NUCKS GO!!!!!!!!
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby JCardinal » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:56 pm

Now *that* is what a playoff game should look like. That first period was better than anything else I've seen in the playoffs yet in any of the other series. You can see why the Canucks and Blues were the best two teams of the tail end of the season.

Both coaches are control freaks and I bet they were both extremely unhappy with the repeated end to end rushes going on at the start there even though it was awesome for the fans.

I really don't know why Murray was saying "use your head" to Vigneault at the end there. It wasn't like Vigneault put goons out on the ice or anything. That was a stupid move by Bieksa and the Canucks should have just skated off the ice and avoided the whole fracas entirely. My wife and I were yelling at the TV at the end "just skate off, you don't need to do this". The Blues really put a lot of effort into it tonight but they just aren't ready yet for bigger things.

Those other series are far slower by comparison especially the Penguins and Flyers who look like they are playing about a quarter the tempo of what we saw tonight.

Interesting that they changed the refs for this game, that's unusual. There were about 500 things in the first period alone that would have been clear penalties in the regular season but the refs were clearly instructed to put away the whistles though they did manage to make a couple of stupid calls anyway but with that pace and so much hitting going on they were bound to miss and misconstrue a lot I guess.

Louie was "in another realm" out there again tonight. Two shutouts going into the playoffs and now one in the playoffs. He's in their heads big time and if he keeps this up whoever gets us next round is going to be very worried about him.
JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby dr.dork » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Wow. Look at what Lou, hard work and even a bit of luck will do !

Nice to see Sundin get the winner, especially after he started it off in our own end. Burrows getting the second with some hard work from the Sedins was nice too.

We had some luck there, but we would have been really unlucky to lose that one.

This series is far from over though. Don't ever count St Louis out given where they came from this year.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Mikodat » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:30 am

Good game... Canucks... Great game Luongo... and a bit lucky ;) Hockey gods are smiling on the Canucks.. 3 posts... might have been a closer game if 1 had gone in. Impressed with Bernier line.. now if Raymond could only hit the net :).. Looking for a split in St Louis but... they get last change and Hockey Gods are fickle.. So far our D and goaltending has been fantastic.. Offence ... ok.. I expect Blues to be tougher in their own building..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Next

Return to Game Day Forum