GDT: GAME 1 - Canucks host Blues - 7pm - CBC, VS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: GAME 1 - Canucks host Blues - 7pm - CBC, VS

Post by Cornuck »

The playoffs are finally here!! There were many of us at the start of the season that didn't expect this team to make it - let alone win the division, but here we are.

This will be a tough series, despite our 3rd place finish. We finished only 8 points ahead of the Blues and were 2-2 in the season matchup. In the last 20 games we have identical 15-5-2 records. St. Louis has better special teams. We match up pretty even in size and age. This will be close.

Stats of the day:
Roberto Luongo, Van (G)
2-0-0, 0.00, 1.000 in last 2 GPI

Chris Mason, StL (G)
2-0-0, 0.50, .978 in last 2 GPI

NHL.com Preview
TSN.ca Series Preview
THN.com TooT
Canucks.com Game Notes
(CTRL+Click to open in a new window)

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT: GAME 1 - Canucks host Blues - 7pm - CBC, VS

Post by Cornuck »

Here's a Series 1 wallpaper for you. I've made it large so it can be shrunk down or cropped to other sizes. Sorry, there are just too many monitor resolutions out there these days.

Download here

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

*sigh* If I wasn't in Toronto I would be at the game tonight, instead I'm forced to watch it on a crappy standard def TV. Oh well, thus starts one of the most important playoff runs in Canuck history. If we want to make a real cup push this year we HAVE to make short work of St. Louis, hopefully beating them in 4 or 5 games without too many overtimes. We'll likely be playing a team like Detroit in the second round and we need to be well rested and prepared (that was a major reason we lost to the Ducks. Seven games with tons of OT followed by Game 1 of that series a day later).

However the team can't look ahead. St. Louis have been as hot if not hotter than us since the all-star break. They could really cause some damage, but they're not a deep team. If we can shut down Brad Boyes they don't really have a ton of other options up front. Tkachuk and McDonald are decent in their own right, but very streaky. Berglund, Oshie and Perron are also quality players but they're inexperienced and prone to mistakes. We SHOULD be able to outclass them in every way, but if we'll do so remains to be seen.

With that said I say we stumble in game one before winning the next four. 4-2 St. Louis. Berglund, Polak, McDonald and Steen for St. Louis, Salo and Sundin for us.

GO CANUCKS GO
lifer
CC Veteran

Post by lifer »

Tonight is the first game of the rest of my life.

If you are lucky enough to be at the game tonight, you should be so hoarse tomorrow that you can barely speak.
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

Cornuck wrote:Here's a Series 1 wallpaper for you. I've made it large so it can be shrunk down or cropped to other sizes. Sorry, there are just too many monitor resolutions out there these days.

Download here

Nice work Art!!!!
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

Well i can't even believe its here already. This Canucks team has what it needs to succeed in these playoffs.
Hopefully they will come out flying tonight, Banging bodies everywhere. I really think this can be a tough series buti have a feeling that the canucks will dig deeper and take it in 5. St.Louis is a very young team. I definetly think one of the reasons they played so well down the stretch is they were so loose and just playing for pride, and all of the sudden they were in playoff talks. Hopefully they will have cooled down and the nerves will set in.

GO CANUCKS GO

Nice Wallpaper, looks good!
Cajanek_Dvacetsest
AHL Prospect

Post by Cajanek_Dvacetsest »

BLUES IN 7. I really think this series is going to go the distance. You have 2 red hot teams going against each other who both accomplished longshots in the final days of the season. You passed Calgary and we made it to 6th. GOODDDD TIIIMMES!!
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Can't see this going the distance... either we tank it or you guys come back to earth. If we play our game, I'm sorry I don't think the Blues are up to it, even with Mason.

That said... there's no guarantee that will happen and that's why the games are played, and I can't wait.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Mason with his beard already looks like Johnny Canuck but "Go Canucks Goooooooooo"

Excellent wallpaper Cornuck, thanks.

ps: and scoreeeeeeees, hell yeah Dannyboy....
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Fairly even 1st, we got the goal, and they seem to have Roberto in their heads already with a lot of missed shots.

Nice to hear the swearing on CBC at the end of the first :D

Let's settle down for the 2nd and pot a couple o' more.
Cajanek_Dvacetsest
AHL Prospect

Post by Cajanek_Dvacetsest »

2-1 after the second period. Lets' Go Blues
GB CANUCK
AHL Prospect

Post by GB CANUCK »

Listening to the game at work over the net here in England and it sounds exciting stuff. It's 5am now and I finish at 6 and will watch the game when I get in.
C'mon you Canucks.
Mellanby_equals_grit
AHL Prospect

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

Good game.. Both teams seem extremely nervous. Both teams taking a ton of dumb penalties too. Luckily for you guys our PP looks like ass (though your team D looks amazing too, not to mention Luongo). My heart is about to pound out of my chest I'm so nervous.. Haven't felt like this in 5 years.. God I missed it.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Yes, the penalties are killing the fans, but they aren't affecting the score much (thank god).

I know the Blues PP has dropped lately, but it can't be this bad all the time.... can it?

Should be a great 3rd.
Mellanby_equals_grit
AHL Prospect

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

Damn.. Vancouver's D owned us in the 3rd period. We went in outshooting (despite seemingly 90% of our shots being off net) and were just dominated in the 3rd. No pressure til we pulled Mason.