GDT: Canucks host Flames - 7pm - SNet | 4/7

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks host Flames - 7pm - SNet | 4/7

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mikodat wrote: Luongo cant be expected to face nearly 50 shots a game every night. He played an outstanding game and gave us the win. Good news was the play of Sundin.. had some good shots on goal and played well all night.. with the Sedin line being effectively shut down for 2 1/2 periods secondary scoring was essential. Kudo's to Rypien and Ohlund and good play by 2nd line .
I kind of think that giving Luongo 30+ shots a game isn't necessarily a bad thing, depending on how the team plays in front of him. This guy thrived in Florida, was constantly considered one of the best goalies in the league despite facing an average of 40 shots/game. I don't think he's afraid of getting shelled, on the contrary I think the guy thrives on it. That's the measure of a superstar goalie folks. If the Canucks want to run and gun, this is the guy to have back there. The problem I have is when the ice is tilted towards our net, that's NOT a good thing... but shot for shot is fine.

As for Sundin... I'm not overly impressed with him at all. The guy hasn't scored in 12 games and his team-worst -5 isn't heartening. I think he's been a passenger on that line and aside from faceoffs I haven't noticed much out of him to be honest. That half-boards set up is ridiculous, the guy's 6'5 and should really be in the slot or working from behind the net/down low. He's not nearly fast enough to move from his boards position into the slot or net for rebounds or any presence once a shot is taken, he winds up being a pinching defenseman with the wheels of Murray Baron. It really doesn't matter so long as we win...hopefully he shows up with some physical play for the playoffs.

We had the better goalie last night. That's one of the only real positive I can take out of that game, great goalie, good bounces, Ohlund just friggin' shooting it in the direction of the net and Rick Rypien.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

the toucan kid wrote:Luongo looked like he did in the 06/07 playoffs. If that's the way he is going to play then we're going to be pretty tough to beat. Guys like Kesler an Burrows are just made for today's playoff game, and if we get anything out of the Sedins and Sundin... I don't know there may still be quite a bit of hockey to watch this year.
Yeah, I'm actually really pumped to see Kesler and Burrows in the playoffs this year. That element of skill/grit/guts has been lacking and it really puts the pressure on the finesse guys to carry the team when what's needed is just some ugly, greaser goals.

Agree with Luongo too... the guy could steal the body armour off the back of a Bacon brother and if he turns in that performance in the playoffs we'll only need a couple goals to win games.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Island Nucklehead wrote:As for Sundin... I'm not overly impressed with him at all. The guy hasn't scored in 12 games and his team-worst -5 isn't heartening.
What is heartening is that team-worst is -5. Not bad at all....
Island Nucklehead wrote:I kind of think that giving Luongo 30+ shots a game isn't necessarily a bad thing, depending on how the team plays in front of him. This guy thrived in Florida, was constantly considered one of the best goalies in the league despite facing an average of 40 shots/game.
I would tend to agree. I have always been of the mind that this is a guy who can take an inordinate number of shots and still pull off a win, making him well-suited for an offensive style of game. Nice to have a tender like that guarding the last defense. I really don't think anyone needs to worry about this guy's performance. When the game matters, he will be there.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Yeah but it's worth noting he's only played in half the season, so that number could be slightly skewed. I agree it's a testament to the team that our worst player's +/- is -5. Considering the Sharks have 5 players worse (Moen's is skewed from his Anaheim days), Detroit has 5, Calgary has seven and on and on. I just don't think there's any reason for a player of Sundin's ability to be a minus player on our team.

That's a testament to this teams ability 5 on 5... where they rank 4th in the NHL. If our special teams improve, lookout.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Plus/Minus is a goofy stat unless it's a huge number on either side of 0. I just think it has to be said Kesler has never looked anywhere near as confident as he has since Sundin got here. The Sedins have also benefited from the backup. He might not be lighting it up, but since all we gave up was money we couldn't have used better, these pluses have to be taken into account. He hasn't been in the playoffs in quite a while and watching him in the Olympics, maybe that's what this guy needs. He doesn't have to carry the team, but it would be nice if he did. :lol:
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

As for Sundin... I'm not overly impressed with him at all. The guy hasn't scored in 12 games and his team-worst -5 isn't heartening.
Last nights game.. he was a vast improvement of the Sundin that arrived on Jan 7th and he had 4 SOG. plus 2 missed shots more than anyone on the team though Daniel did have 5 SOG... I agree that the -5 is not a good sign but for the most part the -'s were collected in January when he first started playing and of course was not in game shape and the team was in losing mode :(. Again my post was on last nights game ... not his whole season . I expect him to be a dominant force in the playoffs. Maybe not the top scorer but a top contributor.
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

the toucan kid wrote:Plus/Minus is a goofy stat unless it's a huge number on either side of 0. I just think it has to be said Kesler has never looked anywhere near as confident as he has since Sundin got here. The Sedins have also benefited from the backup. He might not be lighting it up, but since all we gave up was money we couldn't have used better, these pluses have to be taken into account. He hasn't been in the playoffs in quite a while and watching him in the Olympics, maybe that's what this guy needs. He doesn't have to carry the team, but it would be nice if he did. :lol:
Yeah I can't ignore Kesler's coming around since Sundin showing up. But I do firmly believe it's more a symbiotic relationship, that Sundin might be deep in the doghouse if it wasn't for Kesler's speed and grit, and Kesler is enjoying playing with some talented players that can get him the puck and draw defenders, for the first time in his career.

I think he's going to have to be better in the playoffs if we're to have a chance of going deep. We know Luongo is capable of winning us an entire series, but I'd be much more comfortable if we had two lines scoring regularly to give him some support. Given the Sedin's lack of success in the second season, I think showing them that the world isn't solely on them would be nice and may even buy them time to find their game.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Mikodat wrote:
As for Sundin... I'm not overly impressed with him at all. The guy hasn't scored in 12 games and his team-worst -5 isn't heartening.
Last nights game.. he was a vast improvement of the Sundin that arrived on Jan 7th and he had 4 SOG. plus 2 missed shots more than anyone on the team though Daniel did have 5 SOG... I agree that the -5 is not a good sign but for the most part the -'s were collected in January when he first started playing and of course was not in game shape and the team was in losing mode :(. Again my post was on last nights game ... not his whole season . I expect him to be a dominant force in the playoffs. Maybe not the top scorer but a top contributor.

Yes, Mikodat, he was somewhat better last night. However, I don't think he was good enough to really mention. Just because he appeared to be trying a little bit harder and had a few shots doesn't impress me much. He hasn't performed up to my expectations even once this season. I'll admit that we are better with him in the lineup because we now have a second line for opponents to keep in check but it would be nice if he scored a couplea goals now and then. Obviously my expectations were way too high. Maybe he'll show up in the playoffs ... but I won't hold my breath.