GDT: Canucks host the Wild - 7:00 - CBC (HD),NHLN-US

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks host the Wild - 7:00 - CBC (HD),NHLN-US

Post by DonCherry4PM »

mr perfect wrote:Everyone is pissing on Raymond here. He's a young player who will struggle with inconsistency. Did you know he came out in the newspaper and said the coaches have told him to not cut into the middle of the offensive zone when carrying the puck? That's why he only has the "one move" to the outside on a D-man. Raymond said he's trying to keep the coaches happy and do what they tell him. So blame the meathead behind the players on the bench. It seems Naslund got pissed off with Viggy Stardust last season and got vocal in the press as well. Different players, same result. What's the common denominator here?
Couldn't agree with you more. Raymond may not be an up and coming star, but his development has taken a serious hit due to AV's handling. The kid has no room to make mistakes, no room for creativity, no room to grow. If he does anything wrong, or, for that matter, doesn't consistently make a good impression on AV, he gets kicked around on line pinball or gets to ride the pine. Not exactly the atmosphere a young player needs to develop.

I was listening to the 1040 broadcast on what I believe was the Nashville game. Shorty and what's his face were talking about how Raymond needed to cut to the middle and use his speed instead of always running the boards and getting pushed off the puck. He did once, lost the puck and got to ride the pine for the rest of the game. That kind of treatment just doesn't bode well for young player development. Maybe I am totally wrong in my assessment, but I still think this kid has potential to be a top six winger - I just see AV stifling it. On that note, keep Grabner and Hodgson away from him as long as possibly and they may turn into something.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Not AV's fault there isn't a spot for him.

Sadly, the refereeing league wide is awful as usual, but that call on Burns was probably a trip, but Hank went down so blatantly that I almost think the call in OT was for showing up the refs.

Also Backstrom throwing his stick in the air to make Hendrik's "post-whistle" shot look closer than it was, total bush league. Christ, goalies, no integrity left in that profession.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

At least they were trying the last two periods and overtime. The result wasn't there and the margin for error is getting pretty thin. Tick tick tick.

Wrt Raymond, he just isn't top 6 right now, even on this sorry team. Will he be ? I don't know, but I agree AV and his constant line juggling isn't doing anyone any favours.

This has got to be the worst stretch in Canuck history. We are not just losing, but losing to a steady diet of pretty average teams. Other than San Jose, which other "good" team have we lost to ?
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Sure its easy to blame the refs but reality break guys. Sedin took another stupid penalty that cost the Canucks a game..same as against San Jose.. They usually fade into the woodwork against good defensive teams.. They don't have the speed or toughness to play as a game breaking first line.. Me? I,m getting a bit tired of watching underperforming swedish star players .. The Sedins and Sundin just didn't get it done..Not AV's fault ..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Mikodat: I think you need to look at that play again. Sedin, with both hands on his stick, strips the puck from the Wild player and keeps it in the zone. The Wild player is at this point past Daniel and without the puck. It looks to me that the guy skates through Daniel's stick and mometarily holds it to slow up Daniel's move into the zone. The ref is behind this and sees it as a hook. The weird part is why would Daniel hook a player that is helplessly past him and without the puck??!? If the ref lets the play continue, you've got Daniel and Hendrik with control of the puck in the offensive zone with an odd man advantage. Chances are decent that Vancouver ends the game seconds after that turnover. Bad luck that it went the other way.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Puck wrote:Chances are decent that Vancouver ends the game seconds after that turnover.
um... chances more likely that Henrik & Daniel go into the corner and pass it between each other until giving it away.